Profile for Whisky Corner > Reviews

Content by Whisky Corner

Whisky Corner "Album Cover" (UK)

Sukrin Sunflower and Pumpkin Seed Bread Mix 1 kg
Sukrin Sunflower and Pumpkin Seed Bread Mix 1 kg
Offered by Quasaro

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Effort Too Expensive and Cheaper Easier Alternatives, 18 Jan. 2016
Too much effort and too expensive for what you end up with. You can buy a low carb high grain loaf like this off the shelf in super markets - cheaper, less effort, and more convenience.

Live At Treorchy / We All Had Doctors Papers
Live At Treorchy / We All Had Doctors Papers

5.0 out of 5 stars Play it Again Max, 3 Jun. 2014
Fantastic opportunity to buy two of the great Max Boyce albums; very nostalgic (particularly as my late mother in laws amazing laugh is immortalised on the Live at Treorchy gig, where she was in the audience)!

Billion Dollar Babies (Hybr)
Billion Dollar Babies (Hybr)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Album but not a Great Candidate for the Super Audio CD Treatment - an Ordinary CD Copy May be a Better Choice, 3 Jun. 2014
This is a great album which brought back some great memories when I played it (it was one of the first albums I bought). As great as the music is, it was never really recorded as a super high quality performance, and the SACD faithfully reproduces this! The SACD seems to be a "master straight to DSD" copy; my perception is that very little re-mastering was done, and supported by the lazy option to just provide a stereo soundtrack. In light of this, I am not sure what benefit the SACD copy brings you over the cheaper CD version.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2015 7:24 AM BST

Atkins Day Bread Mix 1x400g
Atkins Day Bread Mix 1x400g

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, if you like Expensive Nutty Seedy Bread, 3 Jun. 2014
The product is good, particularly if you are on a low carb diet. The down side is the price - works out pretty expensive for a loaf of bread. Also, it won't suit everyone - if you don't like nutty / seedy / granary style bread, this is not the product for you. The low score reflects the high cost; until the price comes down, this is not good value for money - it shouldn't be an extravagant treat, its our daily bread!

Breakfast In America
Breakfast In America

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of 5.1 Disapointing, 5 Oct. 2013
Its a 5 for the title; I have always loved this album, but -1 for the delivery = a final score of 2. What a wasted opportunity to provide fans with some extra value - the 2 channel stereo mix, plus the 5.1 surround version. Was it cheap, lazy or just lacking imagination? In any case, what we are left with is just plain disapointing :-(

Goldberg Variationen Bwv 988
Goldberg Variationen Bwv 988
Offered by rbmbooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a Poor Recording, 13 May 2010
I bought this SACD performance of the Goldberg Variations expecting to spend a relaxing Sunday morning with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and some weekend papers and magazines, getting to know this great piece of music. Sadly, I was to be disapointed! The recording quality of this SACD is poor - so poor, the quality problems get in the way of what is probably a great performance by a tallented performer. Just to make sure I wasn't suffering from a Bad Ears day, I popped the SACD versions of Brothers in Arms, The Four Seasons, and some Rameau on - and they all sounded awesome! Nope, its this recording I am afraid, and I continue to look for a better SACD to be able to listen to the Variations properly, and I suggest you do to.

Live 1973 - 2007 (Audio CDs and NTSC format DVD)
Live 1973 - 2007 (Audio CDs and NTSC format DVD)
Offered by HURRICANE RECORDS BERLIN_1

1.0 out of 5 stars No SACD Version? What were they thinking?, 16 Aug. 2009
I understand that the live collection is not being released in SACD format; if not, why not? Apart from the obvious audio advantages of presenting the live back catalogue in high definition 5.1 quality, it is at the very least incredibly inconsistent - with the Genesis albums having all already been re-released in SACD format. I hope I am proven wrong, otherwise I won't be purchasing a simple re-release to CD - where is the value add? If it turns out that there are plans to release a later SACD copy, then I will both apologise for this negative review, and invest my hard earned pennies in the hi-def, surround sound version.

Wish You Were Here
Wish You Were Here
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars We Don't Need No Remastered CD - Where's the SACD ???, 18 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Wish You Were Here (Audio CD)
Stop messing about with yet another remastered CD - BRING OUT THE SACD VERSION THAT WE ALL KNOW HAS BEEN PRODUCED. Storm has done the cover art, all the work has been done on the 5.1 mix - please Please PLEASE cut it to SACD and bring it out before December 2008 and make my Xmas.
Sadly a year on, I don't even think we will see it for Xmas 2009 ;-( And so it was! Maybe by Xmas 2010??? Nope! Stop the Press - now I see there is a November 2011 release date officially announced; cudos to the people responsible for finally making this happen!!! Mind you, there are still a few months to go - so until I actually get my hands on the disk, I'll remain a sceptic ;-) I'm a sceptic no longer; the SACD disk arrived, nicely packed in a booklet format - looks like I am going to have to delete this Review (once I've had a good listen to it ;-)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2011 7:29 PM BST