Profile for Elginson > Reviews

Content by Elginson

Elginson

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
iTechCover® Amazon Kindle UK 3 Pin Mains / Wall Charger Cable Lead & Capacitive Stylus Touch Pen (Kindle, Kindle Touch, Touch 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD / 3G, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 3 / 3G, Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display) - 2-in-1 Accessory Pack
Offered by Phone M8 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful, 13 Dec. 2013
There isn't a lot that can be said, but if you want to recharge your Kindle quickly and without doing it via the USB socket of your laptop, this is by far the easiest way. The coloured lamp inside the plug shows when the job is done. Perhaps the simplest praise is that, having bought it for myself, it keeps disappearing for the rest of the family to use. Not expensive and money well spent.

Bradshaw's Handbook
Bradshaw's Handbook
by George Bradshaw

4.0 out of 5 stars Your Own Portillo Moments, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Bradshaw's Handbook (Hardcover)
Anyone who has enjoyed the Michael Portillo TV rail series knows this book. In fact you may be a little tired of how many times the phrase 'my Bradshaw' can be dragged into a programme. However, I joined the happy masses and bought my own Bradshaw. I'm glad I did. I suspect it's a dip-into book rather than a read-through book and, like me, you'll probably look up the local references first. I discovered my own church is in there; that was a surprise.
It's really a time capsule. It's the culture and the viewpoint of those days that is fascinating in the end: the things that were approved or disapproved of, the way things were.
You don't have to wear a salmon jacket with a lemon shirt and mint green trousers to enjoy this, though, if it helps, why not. It's a fascinating insight into a bygone age. Enjoy your very own Portillo moment.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James

4.0 out of 5 stars Gave real pleasure, 13 Dec. 2013
This book was bought for my wife as a present, at her request. She is a PD James fan, rather than an Austen fan, and I know she enjoyed the book very much. The genre is always a bit contrived - officially approved stories in the style of an author no longer writing. To me it seems a bit of a fake exercise, although I must admit I did personally enjoyed Anthony Horowitz' take on Sherlock Holmes!
Anyway, the purpose of a book, as with any present, is too give pleasure, and this one certainly did. James is a consummate author and worthy of great praise. Perhaps one day there will be people writing imitation PD James too....

Duronic White LS1008 /W Digital 50KG Capacity Luggage/Bag/Suitcase Scales with straps and batteries + Free 2 Year Warranty
Offered by DURONIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 13 Dec. 2013
We bought these weighing scales, as I suspect everyone else does, for weighing our baggage before travelling. They are easy to hold, and easy to read. They work in different units of weight and turn on and off easily too. If I have a criticism it's that the means of lifting the bag to be weighed is by a webbing loop.. This assumes there is something on your bag around which to put the loop. Frankly some kind of hook would have been a lot better, as it would go under the handle of the bags or under a strap. That aside, these are good, smart-looking, light, easy to use scales.

Russia: A 1000-Year Chronicle of the Wild East
Russia: A 1000-Year Chronicle of the Wild East
by Martin Sixsmith
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Dec. 2013
There are not many radio series that change your life, but this one did for me. I listened with curiosity and a general interest in history when these programmes were first broadcast on the BBC. Sixsmith, former BBC correspondent in the USSR (now Russia) takes the listener on a journey through Russian history, from the earliest days of Kievan Rus, to the fall of Tsar Nicholas II. His theme is the way in which autocracy has somehow always been the default mode of Russian government, resulting form the Mongol occupation of early times. He is fascinating on Ivan the Terrible (and the links to Stalin), on Peter the Great, and Catherine the Great too. He explains the split in Russian consciousness and identity between East and West, and her tendency to always return to an autocratic norm.
For me these broadcasts fired an interest in, and enthusiasm for, Russian history that has carried me through at least a dozen more books and still continues now. There is, of course, a second series of CDs that were broadcast later, all about the Soviet years and their collapse with Gorbachev, Yeltsin and now Putin. Both sets are superb.
If you have an interest in history and particularly in Russian history, these CDs are unsurpassed; I have listened to them many times, and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Perhaps you'll get hooked too.

A Hundred Doors
A Hundred Doors
by Michael Longley

4.0 out of 5 stars A poet of warmth and humanity, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: A Hundred Doors (Paperback)
This was my introduction to Michael Longley; later I went on to buy the Collected Poems too. In this volume, from later in his life, he writes personal poems about his family and experiences. There is always a sense of his personal engagement and warmth. Some poets write in anger or with bitterness, Longley writes with love. Having now read so much more of his work, these would not be my favourites. I prefer the nature-based poems of the SW Irish coast at Carrigskeewaun, where he often lived or stayed. I would wholeheartedly commend Longley to you as a writer, but I might suggest that you spend a little more and buy a more complete collection with a wider range of his work. If you do, then I think you will have found a spirit with whom you can relate, and to whom you will return again and again. I have.

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Canon fit lens
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Canon fit lens

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I manage without it!, 13 Dec. 2013
I have always loved the feel and handling of Sigma lenses, so when I went looking for a zoom of this range I was happy to find this one. It immediately became my workhorse lens, and is rarely off the camera. The wide end of the zoom is adequate for most uses and the long end is about the limit of what can be handheld. The zoom ring turns easily and with a enough friction to feel secure. The apertures are fine for general use and when used with the camera on a tripod, the sharpness is excellent. I have since supplemented it with a Sigma 10-20 wide-angle for more specialised effects, but most of the time, this is the lens I use. It locks easily and the AF turns on and off easily too. If the camera is carried 'nose-down' then the lens well creep open, but unless you are photographing straight downwards this isn't an issue. I keep the lens hood (included) on the lens all the time and I also often use it with a circular polarising filter. This is a practical and enjoyable lens to use. I can happily recommend it.

Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator
Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator

4.0 out of 5 stars A valuable asset, 13 Dec. 2013
When I went shopping for this I just wanted an entry-level GPS navigator that would give me at least a 6 figure OS map reference. This gives a ten figure reference, accurate to about 10ft, so I'm delighted. I am an experienced map and compass user, so I don't need it replace either of those, but there are always those moments when the 'clues' around you in the landscape or on the map are not clear, and you want the reassurance of knowing exactly where you are on the map. Sometimes it's as simple as needing to know which side of a hedge or fence you need to be in order to be on the footpath.
We also find we use it as an accurate way of tracking the distance walked. If I have a criticism it's that it's not easy to reset to zero after use. I've sometimes had to have several attempts. It can be bit heavy on batteries too. but apart from those two issues, I am very pleased with it and I'd happily recommend it to someone who doesn't want all the computer-linked bells and whistles - just a basic GPS navigator.

Cokin WP2R462 62 mm P-Series Adapter Ring for Lens
Cokin WP2R462 62 mm P-Series Adapter Ring for Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 13 Dec. 2013
There's not much that can be said about an adaptor ring, but it came in good time, fitted perfectly and does the job well. The price was competitive and I'm a satisfied customer. If you need one, don't hesitate.

Worcester and Birmingham Canal with the Droitwich Canals (Inland Waterways of Britain)
by GEOprojects (UK) Ltd
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent companion, 13 Dec. 2013
We bought this to help us on holiday when we intended to walk several stretches of this canal. It's a handy size for the pocket or rucksack and provided all the information we needed. The text is clear, as are the maps and illustrations. It was used many times and I hope that, before long, we shall return to use it again. Canals are always interesting to walk beside, and with a companion like this, they are even more enjoyable. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16