Profile for D. Harrison > Reviews

Content by D. Harrison

D. Harrison "What? I can't hear you." (Brighton, UK)

Blaze Wooden Balance Bike
Blaze Wooden Balance Bike
Offered by Kidzmotion Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars In spite of the graphics, unsuitable for jumping Snake River Canyon, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Blaze Wooden Balance Bike (Toy)
It's sturdy, supplied near-fully constructed and the seat is easy to raise as your child grows (presumably equally easy to lower if they start to shrink [not tested by reviewer]).

Should also be marketed as a fitness appliance for parents. Buy one and you too can enjoy sprinting after your child down a busy pavement as they scatter elderly shoppers like bowling pins, heading for a busy road junction. Kids: they're nippy little things.

Jim Beam Cotton Bar Towel (pp)
Jim Beam Cotton Bar Towel (pp)
Offered by Auto-Unique Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best small, absorbent bit of cloth I own, 22 Aug. 2013
Made of terry cloth and fits on a bar. I use mine to mop my brow in the gym, because nothing says 'fitness' like bourbon whiskey. Probably not suitable for galactic hitchhikers.

Origami Animals
Origami Animals
by Hector Rojas

2.0 out of 5 stars Oribarmy, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Origami Animals (Paperback)
Let me preface this by saying that I am a conspicuously patient person. Honestly. Okay, that fact established:

I was under the impression that origami specifically didn't involve cutting the paper, that all the effects were achieved by folding. Well, I'm reasonably sure that some kind of origami elf has cut half the instructions out of my copy, as it it leaps from 'Step 1: piece of paper with a single fold down the middle' to 'Step 2: finished scale model of the Chrysler Building'.

My daughter and I spent about an hour trying to rationalise the journey between Steps 3 and 4 of the basset hound (having persevered through the excruciating instructions to first make 'the dragon') before finally agreeing that we didn't need a paper model of a dog that badly.

Don't buy this book. It's put me off origami to the extent that I'll never be able to watch 'Blade Runner' again without fast forwarding every scene featuring Edward James Olmos. Seriously, I'd give my copy away, but I can't think of anyone I hate that much.

Now That's What I Call 30 Years
Now That's What I Call 30 Years

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! I couldn't find a pen and paper!, 20 Jun. 2013
I happened across this while killing time on the internet and it saved me the effort of getting out of my seat to get a pad and pen. For only £7.49, you can download this handy list of pointless mediocrities without whom the world of music would be infinitely better: print it off and peruse it whenever you need a focus for your vague but insistent anger and dissatisfaction with the world; I guarantee you'll find a brief interlude of peace as you imagine your chosen 'artist' being attacked by rabid ferrets or pelted with dung or - well, you know. If the fortunes of the music industry are in the toilet, you only need to look at this track list to see why

Anyway, saved me time and effort, and cheap at twice the price. I'd give it five starts but it turns out you can't just download the list, you end up getting a couple of dozen dismal, repetitive, lifeless songs tacked onto it as well.

(Seriously EMI, nobody out there harbours a nostalgic pining to hear Ice Ice Baby).

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars They're black, fit in your ear and noise comes out of them., 16 Sept. 2009
Do you want to listen to music without other people hearing it? Do you like black things with little shiny silver bits on them? Then these might just be for you!

Features include:
- decent sound quality, as far as I can tell. But I'm just some pleb listening to 256kbps MP3s, not George Martin with a DAT machine.
- pretty good bottom end, if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, change the EQ setting and I'm sure you'll be fine; otherwise it's a bit like sticking your pinky finger too far into your earhole.
- reasonably durable. I've had them a couple of weeks and they haven't broken yet.
- fairly comfortable, insofar as sticking foreign objects into your ear ever can be.
- sensibly priced. But if you want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones, that's your call. Look elsewhere.
- okay accessories. Comes with extra rubber ear-plug bits that double as fake beauty spots and a spring-clasped carrying case. The latter can be clipped onto your nose if you want to pretend to be a koala.

There is some cable noise, which I know aggravates some people. You can ameliorate this by sticking the cable inside your shirt, which tickles pleasantly, or you can embrace it and adjust your stride to sync with the music, adding an extra layer of percussion. If it's a big deal, spring for wireless headphones and accept that you're going to look like Lando Calrissian's factotum in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

In short, I like them as much as, if not more than, other earphones I've tried.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2014 12:28 PM GMT