Profile for FastHand > Reviews

Content by FastHand

FastHand (Harefield, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rock 'N' Roll Party (Honoring Les Paul)
Rock 'N' Roll Party (Honoring Les Paul)

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT UP MY STREET JEFF, 24 Feb 2011
Now if you purchased Jeffs last album " Emmotion and Commotion " and liked it as much as I did and are expecting something similar or at least a Jeff Beck guitar style on the tracks you will be very disappointed. I was. The album to me sounds like it could have been any one playing other than Jeff. It is mostly pure rockabilly style rock and roll. Teddy boys would like it. This album sounds like it was made for Imelda May right up her street. Having heard her on " Lilac wine " ( Emmotion and Commotion ) I thought she had a wonderful voice and could'nt wait to hear more of her. Unfortunately in my opinion, on this album she only shines on three tracks " Cry me a river " and " Please Mr Jailer " and "Walking in the Sand". " Mockin bird hill " has to be one of Jeffs worst guitar playing as even I could play it. " Tiger Rag " has a lot of cat impersonations on it. The album livens up slightly on track 13 " Peter Gunn " plenty of saxaphone and trumpet solo's but no guitar. " Sleep Walk " resembles Jeff's guitar playing some what. The best track is " Walking in the Sand " good guitar solo and well sung by Imelda May. Unfortunately this is one of those albums that I shall never play again unless a track pops up on my Ipod on random and I shall be uttering those words " What's that."
I certainly do not think that this live session deserved to be made into an album. But if you like fifties style rock and roll then you'll probably enjoy this, but this is certainly not up my street.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2014 7:43 PM BST

Live! In Chicago
Live! In Chicago

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS TRUE R & B, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: Live! In Chicago (Audio CD)
I don't know who hijacked the title R&B but this album is what live blues is all about. This reminds me of the early British Blues of the Yardbirds, John Mayall, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, chicken shack etc. reminisent of the mid 60's. It has a wonderfull blues club feel and the music's rhythm vibrates throughout the album. With such great old blues stars as Hubert Sumlin, Willie big eyes Smith, Brian Lee and Buddy Flett this album just cannot go wrong. Of course Kenny Wayne Shepherd is brilliant and must have been in his element playing with all these great guitarists. If I had one piece of criticism it would be that none of the guitarists are introduced or mentioned on the albums track sleeve so it is difficult to know whom is playing. But that is a minor distraction, this album is full of energy from track one to the last and the guitar solo's are superb. If you like your blues in the true R&B style then you will not be disappointed.

White Sugar
White Sugar
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars What a guitar player and singer to boot, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: White Sugar (Audio CD)
I purchased joanne's latest album first "Diamonds in the dirt". and was mesmerised by it. This is also superb. I was lying in the bath (not a pretty sight I know) and "White Sugar" was blasting up the stairs because I always play my music loud, that's the only way and I just could'nt believe how mature a guitar solo I was listening to. It made me think that Eric Clapton had better get off his backside as this young girl is leaving him in her wake. Not only that she does have a voice that reminds me of the fantastic late Dusty Springfield. I was imaginging Dusty singing with a guitar round her neck, that made me laugh.
I don't think I've ever heard a woman play the guitar so well and dare I say it for the fear of sounding sexist, sound so much like a man, if that is at all possible. If you like Blues, a great voice and superb guitar playing then this is for you and I'm sure you'll be off to purchase "Diamonds in the Dirt", enjoy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2011 2:12 AM BST

Diamonds In The Dirt
Diamonds In The Dirt

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a woman that can play the guitar, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: Diamonds In The Dirt (Audio CD)
I was told that I should listen to Joanne Shaw Taylor and boy am I pleased that I did. This is a Blues/rock album with two bluesey soul ballads thrown in. Her strong voice can only be described as a pinch of Tina Turner a dash of Joss Stone and a sprinkling of the gorgeous late Dusty Springfield.
This album certainly rocks and delivers two great soul ballads in "Diamonds in the Dirt" and " The World and it's way". On the ballads she sounds a touch like Dusty and on the other tracks her voice is strong and powerful. There are a few woman guitar players around that I really like but Joanne really hits the spot with guitar solos that are in your face and not just part of the backing track, I love it and can't wait to listen to "White Sugar". Buy it and I think you wont be disappointed, I was'nt.

Clapton
Clapton
Offered by b68solutions

2.0 out of 5 stars OH ERIC PLEASE GIVE IT SOME WELLIE, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: Clapton (Audio CD)
Listening to this album you would be hard pushed to realise that it is recorded by possibly one of the best blues guitarists in the world. You can hardly hear any guitar playing and what little you do hear could be either J.J. Cale, Doyle Bramell or Derek Trucks. I'm not sure what Eric is trying to prove except possibly that my old grannie would probably like 7 of the tracks. He is a renowned guitarist the world over but this is not an album that even remotely hints of any decent guitar playing,why? "Everything Will be Alright" by J.J. Cale swings along beautifully and just when you think this could be a good track and is crying out for a guitar solo it ends.
When I was a young lad I used to follow Eric when he played with The Yardbirds, John Mayall and Cream and he was simply mind blowing, why He is going down this road I have no Idea. I am not even going to see him at the Albert Hall on his next tour as I'm just bored by him and I'm one of his biggest fans, we've grown up together.
He has to get out there and produce an album that most Clapton fans want and if you like it or not is soulful with long guitar solo's and loud enough to be heard. I shall always buy his albums but it hurts me to only give him two stars. Maybe his next album should be called "Giving it some Wellie".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2011 1:06 PM GMT

The Definitive Collection
The Definitive Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone a gem, 24 Sep 2010
Pure 1960's nostalgia. For me the Supremes were one of the best and these 18 tracks are all excellent. Put it on at a party or when you've got people round and it certainly gets your toes tapping. I even think young kids of today would like these songs. If any of the new talent on X factor were to sing any of these songs I think they would go down a storm.

Guitar Heaven: Santana Performs The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Time
Guitar Heaven: Santana Performs The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Time

3.0 out of 5 stars Santana excellent but lacks sparkle, 24 Sep 2010
Santana is excellent as always and these classic songs are pretty true to the originals which is good. The vocalists are almost true to the original artists also. I think it lacks sparkle because the tracks are so well known but it is still a good album and you can't take anything away from Santana's guitar playing. I might not play it as often as I might if the tracks had all been originals but I'm certainly glad I've got it. You've got to take your hat off to Santana for not being wrapped up too much in his own bubble and is prepared to do cover versions, well done.

3.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB VOICE, ALBUM CONTENT, NOT SURE?, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Love Tattoo (Audio CD)
First heard her on Jeff Beck album Emmotion and Commotion singing "Lilac Wine"and emmediately thought must get an album of hers. I was disappointed with the content, not what I was expecting very forties/fifties style rock and roll any ex teddie boys about might like it. The one track that stood out for me was "Knock 123" which really showed what a lovely voice she has very similar track to "Lilac Wine" by Jeff Beck. Now if she could produce an album along the lines of "Knock 123" then I think she would be sensational. This album I'm afraid did'nt do it for me but I'm please I got it just for "Knock 123".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2011 9:00 PM BST

3.0 out of 5 stars fantastic voice not too sure about the songs, 11 Aug 2010
This review is from: Love Tattoo (Audio CD)
Well how do I start to describe this album. It's style is 1940's/1950's with a touch of rock n roll, ballads, blues and a waltz to boot. I don't dislike it but at the same time I'm not sure how much I like it. It is certainly interesting as Emelda has written most of the tracks. I first heard emelda on Jeff Becks album "Emmotion and commotion" and the track was "Lilac Wine". I was amazed by her voice and could'nt wait to hear her own album and I must say I was a little disappointed as on some of the tracks her lovely voice is drowned out by the music which Isn't bad but just does not do her voice justice. I think her gorgeous voice is crying out for some modern ballads and I just can't wait for her new album to come out, because no matter how disappointed I was with this album I will definately buy her new one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2011 9:07 PM BST

Common Ground
Common Ground

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M ASHAMED I'VE NEVER HEARD OF WALTER, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: Common Ground (Audio CD)
I'm ashamed that I've never heard of Walter Trout until I got Danny Bryant's RedEyeBand "Days like This" album and heard him play with Walter on the 8 minute track of the album name. Danny Bryant said Walter was one of his all time favorite guitarists and he was'nt wrong. When I was a kid I used to follow John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers because of the young talented guitarists Eric Clapton and Peter Green and when they left the band I stopped listening to John Mayall. If I had continued then I would have been introduced to Walter Trout. You've got to be good to play for Mayall. "Common Ground" album is excellent with rock, melodies and soul all revolving around the blues. Needless to say Walter's guitar playing is superb. There's only one track I don't like and that is "Hudson had Help" ( the only song on the album he did not write ) as it's a country/Hillybilly style number. However don't be put off the rest of the album is brilliant and the guitar playing at times spell binding. I don't like to pick out tracks as they are all good except track 6 which I mentioned. "Common Ground" builds up to a blistering finale, "Song For my Guitar" is a beautiful lovesong that any woman would be pleased to have it written for her and "No Regrets" is a barnstorming number reminiscent of Jimmy Hendrix. Although I did'nt like track 6 I still thought it still deserved 5 stars. Buy it and I don't think you will be disappointed. I'm off to see Walter live in October and I can't wait.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2011 3:02 PM BST