Profile for Arthur Blenkinsop > Reviews

Content by Arthur Blenkinsop

Arthur Blenkinsop (Lanarkshire, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Yaktrax Pro - Traction Devices Large - UK10.5 - UK13
Yaktrax Pro - Traction Devices Large - UK10.5 - UK13
Offered by Yeomans Outdoor Leisure

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't ask for more., 22 Jan. 2015
Ok, it's only day one but these are superb. They are very easy to fit and do the job exceptionally well. On a slippy surface I had been treating with extreme care, I can now stride out with no problems. Obviously the test will be how long they last but, at this stage, I couldn't ask for more.

B22 12W Samsung SMD LED Chip Bulb, Massive true 950 Lumens Warm White bulb = 120W plus. Bayonet Cap. Working voltage of bulb 85v-265v.
Offered by 5 Star Lighting Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no doubt this is a very bright bulb and ..., 10 Jan. 2015
There's no doubt this is a very bright bulb and clearly well made. The only thing (which I suspect is common to all these LED bulbs, given their design) is that it functions very much as a downlighter, so not much light reflects off the ceiling. Nevertheless, gives a lot more light than the 20W low energy bulb it replaced.

April Lake
April Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: April Lake (MP3 Download)
Fat-Suit can't be put in a neat little box. Their music draws on so many different influences. Generally classified as Jazz-Rock-Funk or whatever, here they're firmly in the world more usually inhabited by the likes of Duncan Chisholm or John McCusker. Quite why these people aren't headlining at Celtic Connections escapes me. An ethereally lovely track.

Big Man in Tehran
Big Man in Tehran
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars nearly all of which effectively say 1 & 2 were brilliant but 3 is terrible, 3 Sept. 2014
Interesting to read some of the one star reviews, nearly all of which effectively say 1 & 2 were brilliant but 3 is terrible. I start from a different position. I find all of Homeland overrated. Damian Lewis doesn't do it for me - I suspect there are any number of American actors who could have done a better job; what is this fascination over there with Etonians trying to be American? Opposing the majority view, season 3 benefited from involving him less. My other problem is Claire Danes, whose performance frequently feels overcooked, even self-indulgent. Perhaps her being producer doesn't help either - Bryan Cranston pulls that one off in B.B. so it can be done; perhaps not here. I also have a real problem with F. Murray Abraham, with his "voice beautiful" delivery - didn't rate him in Amadeus; rate him even less here. HOWEVER, Mandy Patinkin is excellent from start to finish and there are any number of perfectly good performances elsewhere. One of the 1 star people is very negative about Morgan Saylor as Dana. I disagree quite strongly. I find her very believable, often beautifully understated. 3's ok but not brilliant. The fact that I've stayed with it to the end suggests that the plotting has done its job (but then soap operas manage that too, so maybe it's not such a big deal). I don't see 3 as markedly worse than 1 & 2, but none of it comes anywhere near Breaking Bad, which is now the benchmark for American TV Drama.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 12:53 PM BST

Contemporary Scenes for Actors: Women
Contemporary Scenes for Actors: Women

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the lazy or overworked drama teacher., 17 Feb. 2014
Difficult to judge a book like this. The scenes are well-enough chosen but, by it's very nature, the selection soon becomes tired through constant repetition in showcases etc. As a basic source of material for drama classes, it does the job, but better to get out there and read a few plays!

Roberts Classic DAB2 DAB/DAB+/FM Digital Radio with Simple Presets - Black
Roberts Classic DAB2 DAB/DAB+/FM Digital Radio with Simple Presets - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats batteries!, 23 Dec. 2013
Good radio, so long as you run it off mains electricity. Batteries, however, are another matter. Takes 6 (!) AAs and they only last a couple of days. I'd give it 4 stars, if I hadn't discovered the problem but, as I bought it as a travel radio ...

The House of Bernarda Alba (Drama Classics) (Nick Hern Books Drama Classics)
The House of Bernarda Alba (Drama Classics) (Nick Hern Books Drama Classics)
by Federico García Lorca

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've read, 24 Mar. 2013
I've now read 5 different translations of this play and most feel a little self-conscious and "creaky". Jo Clifford's version, although it's not the most recent, works best for me. The dialogue doesn't read like a translation - it's immediate and vibrant. Rona Munro's 2009 adaptation takes things further and moves the action to present-day Glasgow (not totally successfully) and I don't know the most recent version from the Almeida's modern Iranian-set production, but if you want to stay in the original Spanish setting, I would choose this version. There are also some useful introductory notes.

Jacques Copeau (Routledge Performance Practitioners)
Jacques Copeau (Routledge Performance Practitioners)
by Mark Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Oct. 2012
I really like the Routledge Performance Practitioners series and this is a very good introduction to the work of a massively important force in European Theatre - so easy to ignore him, obsessed as so many are with Stanislavski and the Americans who interpreted his work. Copeau's legacy can be traced through the likes of Antonin Artaud, Jean-Louis Barrault, Etienne Decroux, Jacques Lecoq. This book makes an excellent first port-of-call, in the quest to appreciate Copeau - not exhaustive but generously informative and very readable, with the added bonus of a set of exercises at the end (in common with all the books in the series). Recommended.

The Lost Broadcast
The Lost Broadcast

5.0 out of 5 stars She hit the ground running, 14 April 2012
This review is from: The Lost Broadcast (Audio CD)
I got this album on the same day as Slipstream and this is the one I'm listening to most (excellent though Slipstream is). The voice is younger and less "lived-in" than her wonderful current sound but, even at 22, she knows how to use that voice as a great instrument. The sound is cleaner but the approach is just as raw, if not more so. Of course the sound may not be 100% - this is a 40 year-old radio session - but the atmosphere and the musicianship are both magnificent. I've been buying her records for most of my adult life and never thought much of that first album, compared with what followed, but she's always been a great live performer and shows it here with better versions than the studio originals. Ok I admit it: I'm a huge fan of BR but this truly is a major treat. Really can't agree with the 3 star reviewer. The only thing I really prefer in her recent work is that gloriously mature voice - the rest is right out of the top drawer.

JML Sit Right Chair Back Support System
JML Sit Right Chair Back Support System
Offered by CostMad-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 8 Oct. 2011
I can't quite get over how well this product functions for such a tiny price. I've had months of discomfort in my car and this support has sorted it out almost overnight. I'd happily have paid considerably more for that result. Strongly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2