Profile for Steve > Reviews

Content by Steve

Steve "Ukuleleboy" (Norfolk, UK)

The Sacred Depths of Nature
The Sacred Depths of Nature

5.0 out of 5 stars A rich and satisfying insight and aid to understanding., 6 Jan. 2016
I just love this book. I've read through it three times now and each time it enhances the awe and wonder I feel about nature and the way of things! If like me you find traditional explanations and beliefs held by established faiths lacking then do read this. It will broaden your whole perspective not so that you can pour scorn on explanations and faiths of the past but understand the inevitability of them and even identify with those who profess them. Ursula, you have done us a great service in writing this. Thank you.

Benedictus
Benedictus

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring and encouraging!, 17 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Benedictus (Kindle Edition)
I was somewhat startled that so much of what I read in this book about Benedict Spinoza, mirrored my own honest, heart-felt thoughts and understandings that have come to me (quite unsolicited) in recent years and has indeed helped me to clarify them. I feel greatly encouraged to pursue these thoughts further and take great comfort that I am not alone in so doing.

Scientific Calculator FREE
Scientific Calculator FREE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great App, 25 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Scientific Calculator FREE (App)
This app turns my 6" Amazon Fire into a very respectable scientific calculator. Makes trigonometric calculations a breeze.

Seymour Duncan Woody SC(TM) (SA-3SC) Single Coil Acoustic Guitar Pickup - Maple
Seymour Duncan Woody SC(TM) (SA-3SC) Single Coil Acoustic Guitar Pickup - Maple

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted!, 27 Aug. 2014
This is a great product; non-intrusive; simple to fit, use and remove; no fuss!
I have a large jumbo acoustic Faith "Jupiter", and tones in very elegantly with it, producing a very pleasing sound through my Roland Mobile AC portable amp (another purchase with which I am delighted!)

Microsoft Office 365 Home - 5 Users - 1yr Subscription  [Download]
Microsoft Office 365 Home - 5 Users - 1yr Subscription [Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as a Renewal Licence, 18 Feb. 2014
Rather than pay my renewal subscription direct to Microsoft one year on, I opted to purchase this from Amazon instead as it was £15 cheaper. I waited until the day my previous licence ran out, then rather nervous that it might have made me re-download the entire package simply clicked on the link that came with my purchase acknowledgement email from Amazon and miraculously all was settled! I didn't even have to type in a new licence code or anything, it just upgraded my renewal date for a year hence. Great!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 10:22 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with CaseCrown products, 7 Nov. 2013
Having been very pleased with the CaseCrown cases we purchased for both my wife's and my Kindles (Touch) over a year ago, we didn't hesitate in going for CaseCrown again when choosing a case for my wife's and daughter's iPad Minis. They represent excellent value for excellent lasting quality in a wide choice of colours, and with such an authentic look and feel, I see little point in bothering with a true (and far more expensive) leather one?

Samsung BD-E5300 Slim Design Network Disc Blu-ray Player
Samsung BD-E5300 Slim Design Network Disc Blu-ray Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we wanted, 4 Aug. 2012
After our cheap, not particularly good upscaling DVD player packed up, we wanted to get something a bit better quality to replace it. We already have a Samsung LED TV so it made sense to get a Samsung DVD player so that it would integrate better. Even though we're not particularly bothered about Blu-Ray disks, the price of a Blu-Ray player didn't seem that much more than an upscaling DVD player, plus I liked the idea of something that would give me access to YouTube. We decided on the BD-ES5000 since it was (a) very comapct and (b) had a slot feed which I much prefer to tray feed DVD.

I have to say that we are absolutely delighted with this product. Granted it is low on frills, (which we like), the upscaling playback of DVDs is brilliant (I can't comment on Blu-Ray playback since we still don't own any), but we've spent far longer looking at our favourite YouTube videos in glorious HD quality on it. (Have yet to find out how this will affect our monthly broadband Gb allowance though!) My wife also likes the fact that she doesn't have to contend with yet another remote handset as the Samsung TV one works perfectly well with it for most functions (and vice versa).

One review I read said that it was fiddly to control YouTube searching, which I suppose it is if you're in a hurry, but this is easily overcome by making up playlists on your YouTube account beforehand via a PC first, then just selecting them on the TV. Even integrates with Mobile phone for searching and controlling video playback.

All in all a great, easy-to-use, no-nonsense product with just the right amount of functionality to meet our not too demanding needs!

Christ and the Chocolaterie: A Lent Course
Christ and the Chocolaterie: A Lent Course
by Hilary Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Very appealing Church Housegroup study material, 17 Dec. 2010
Although designed as a Lent Study Course (the setting for the film being a French village during Lent), I would say that this is a suitable study for any time of year (especially for the more devout who might be off chocolate for Lent!)

As a group we planned to meet once a week over a period of six weeks, the first simply to watch the thoroughly absorbing video of the film 'Chocolat' on which the text is based, the next five to go through each of the five study chapters, questions and allocated video extracts (which we were always loathed to stop running on). We decided to rotate the leadership for each session and managed with just one copy of the book, although a copy each would be good for personal study follow up. We finished each session with refreshments that invariably included some form of chocolate. So taken with the film we all decided to tag on a seventh meeting to watch the film in its entirety again followed by a mini chocolate party!!

During the course of the study various characters within the film, their attitudes to church and faith are studied, together with appropriate Bible passages and in so doing greatly challenges our own characters and attitudes in a light-hearted yet very real and penetrating way.

Having been part of various Church house-groups for many many years, I would say that this study was the most enjoyable, inspiring, challenging and group bonding I have done, appealing to a wide adult age range. Well done Hilary Brand!

The Guitarist
The Guitarist

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulls all the right strings!, 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Guitarist (Audio CD)
Great CD. Bought it as a birthday present for my wife. One of those rare CDs where every track is a stirring winner. It demonstrates Craig Ogden's ever-improving talent. Ideal music to travel by or have on as background during a meal or as soothing concentrated listening. The only thing I doubt the authenticity of is the picture of Craig throwing his guitar high in the air!

Field Guide to the Birds of Britain (Nature Lover's Library)
Field Guide to the Birds of Britain (Nature Lover's Library)
by Reader's Digest

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 6 Dec. 2009
I already owned and loved four of the Reader's Digest Nature Lover's Library Field Guide Books (Animals, Wild Flowers, Butterflies, Trees) from when they were first published in the early 1980s. I liked the landscape format of the books and soft painted artwork that seemed so much more appealing than the photos that appear in many of today's illustrated guides, which together with the multiplicity of images of each subject from different angles made for easy identification. The narratives on each page too were easy to read and very informative without being over the top on the technical stuff.

Somehow I had never included the Birds of Britain volume in my collection, which living in Norfolk as we do now seemed something of a short coming. The series had been reprinted more recently and indeed you can still buy copies new but these are in a slightly smaller format. Thinking I was ordering a second hand copy in the smaller format itemised as being in "very good condition" and at a very reasonable price, it was a sheer delight to get the copy through the post in what I would consider extremely good condition and, to crown it all, in the larger old format complete with dust cover to match the rest of my collection. A truly wonderful series.