Profile for Antony Sewell > Reviews

Content by Antony Sewell

Antony Sewell (Sussex, England)

Hi-Tec Eurotrek Waterproof, Men's Hiking Boots, Dark Brown, 13 UK
Hi-Tec Eurotrek Waterproof, Men's Hiking Boots, Dark Brown, 13 UK
Offered by Army & Navy Stores UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 17 Nov. 2013
To be fair these are the first 'proper' walking boots I've bought having spent years wearing old pairs of heavy steel toe capped work boots for our sporadic Autumn country walks. I should've invested in a pair of these years ago, so far I've only worn them a couple of times and we're only 'Sunday' ramblers but they are lightweight, very comfy and have easily coped with wet and muddy conditions. At £45 I won't mind if they only last a year or two and would happily buy another pair

Samsung M2825DW Xpress Mono Laser Printer
Samsung M2825DW Xpress Mono Laser Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars (Not so) Impressive budget printer!, 9 Oct. 2013
September 2014 Update:

Well before it's 1st birthday this printer started to play up, basically it flat refuses to print 50% of the time and is steadily getting worse, I've resorted to pulling the plug out for a minute and resetting it and occasionally this seems to work, very frustrating as my wife needs to print off reams of stuff during the day when I'm away at work and we bought a supposedly fast high-output printer for that exact reason. It occasionally comes up with a 'Fuser' error message and then goes into hibernate mode with nothing showing in the print queue! No longer anywhere near as impressed as I obviously was! Will be looking to return it, but now just passed the 12 month mark, so might just bite the bullet and invest in a new (non-Samsung!) wi-fi printer.

Apart from the fiddly setup (spent a fair few minutes trying to remove one of the transit only fixings!) this is a great little printer. I've set mine as wi-fi only and, so far, it's worked fine with no problems. Having only had inkjet's before, the print quality is fantastic and the speed is even more impressive, throw in the no-fuss double-sided printing and cheapest per page toner cartridges (I've done the research) and it's a no-brainer. We've retained our Epson inkjet colour photo printer for the rare occasions we need colour, but it now sits forlornly and unloved in the dark under the desk while this sits in pride of place on top.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 29 April 2013
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Got this for free a few days ago, not expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it is. Very well-written and a proper page-turner. Obviously well-researched, the story is set a few years in the future and the science is (as far as I can tell!) sound. There is a lot of sciencey stuff in this but it's essential to the story and doesn't detract from the novel's brilliantly realised characters, tension and atmosphere (no pun intended!) It would make for a fantastic TV mini-series (too long for a film) and I'm looking forward to see what Andy Weir comes up with next.

Solitaire for Kindle Vol. 1
Solitaire for Kindle Vol. 1

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a game for an electronic book., 11 Dec. 2011
I like this. There, I've said it. When I pay the princely sum of 86p for a game designed to run on what is basically a book, I don't expect a lot, so the fact that this works and works quite well is fine by me. The 'instructions' are useless, but if you can't figure out how to play it within 30 seconds then what are you doing with a book? I know using little pictures of the suit symbols in either black or outlined white with either a number or a letter (for example, 'A' for ace or 'Q' for Queen, tricky eh?) next to it is harder to grasp than the Quantum Electrodynamic theory of Wave/Particle Duality, but you soon get used to it. There are 100 different layouts to choose from and you can only load one at a time, boo hoo. I found this slightly galling as I often sit at my PC playing 17 or 18 games of Windows Klondike at once, just like everybody else does. I don't have 3G on my Kindle so can only play a different game to the one currently loaded if I'm close to a free Wi-Fi access point. God knows what I'm supposed to do with my Kindle electronic BOOK loaded with 100's of (mostly free) BOOKS if I'm NOT near a free Wi-Fi access point and therefore can't play Solitaire. Maybe I should buy a £600 3G iPad as well, just in case this happens. Giving this little gem a bad review is like spying a fiver on the floor and moaning because you have to bend down to pick it up. For less than the price of a large bag of crisps it's great.

Pirate Gold (Three Pirates)
Pirate Gold (Three Pirates)
by Sheila K. McCullagh

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the original!, 10 April 2009
I bought the four 'Three Pirate' books partly for my 5 year-old son and partly for myself having read them as a child! However, I was slightly disappointed as I remember the original being a series of 12 books, designed to help children to learn to read, the 1st book being very simple and then each one getting progressively more complex. This edition has been re-written and is consistent in style and 'difficulty' all the way through. It's still a good story, the plot remains the same and both my son and I enjoyed my little trip down memory lane, but I may be scouring eBay to see if I can find the originals!