Profile for Oasthouse > Reviews

Latin Demystified: A Self Teaching Guide
Latin Demystified: A Self Teaching Guide
by Richard Prior

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 14 May 2015
How good you think this book is will depend upon what you want it to do. For a nervous beginner NO. The first chapter is enough to scare anybody away. There is far too much information given far too quickly and I cannot see why it is all necessary. Most people want to make a start with using the language and the gradual introducing of concepts with sentences of increasing complexity is surely a better method. As a noviciate, being told that a verb can take over 250 forms is hardly encouraging on your first day. Being given the history of the cases of nouns is something most people could do without. The last two paragraphs on page 15 are thoroughly confusing and I had to seek further help; but I knew what to look for. A beginner would not.

I started Latin as fairly mature adult some years ago but it defeated me as I find rote learning difficult. I have returned to it as a very mature adult with a reasonable knowledge of English grammar. This book serves best as a store of knowledge to be referred to for revision, consolidation and filling gaps.

Polaroid Optics 52mm 4 Piece Close Up Filter Set (+1, +2, +4, +10)
Polaroid Optics 52mm 4 Piece Close Up Filter Set (+1, +2, +4, +10)
Offered by Smart Shop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Be realistic and read some literature, 11 Jun. 2014
I write this not so much to review the product - there are plenty of entries here to close from - as to suggest that some purchasers need to be more realistic. Bear in mind that a dedicated macro lens costs far in excess of three hundred pounds and this kit is well under twenty.

My photographic skills are limited but I am able to read and there is plenty of material on the internet about filters like this. Those who say that the +10 item is not entirely satisfactory are probably right - many kits do not provide them. At this level, distortion is inevitable. I have just tried to close up to a single key on my keyboard. I managed to focus but there is distortion at the edges. There is a little using +1, +2 and +4, too. These were both at f22.

It is true that it is not possible to screw another lens onto the front of +10. But see remarks on distortion above. If +10 distorts, what is going to happen when greater magnification is used? So why try this anyway? Those who complained about this have clearly not read anything. If you want to combine filters, the lowest magnification should be fixed first so you should not be trying to fix anything in front of +10 anyway.

Something that is available in this digital age is computer editing. Unless you are wanting to blow up your picture to poster size, a little work with a modest programme could well give you the effect that you want.

The effects available with these filters is remarkable for less than twenty pounds; don't condemn them for not giving you three hundred pounds' worth.

Zone One
Zone One
by Colson Whitehead

1.0 out of 5 stars No merit detected, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Zone One (Paperback)
This book was chosen, by a member, for our reading group. I also have to admit to being a member of the old f---s club.

I have reached about half way and the only way I am getting through it is by forcing myself to read fifteen pages a day.

As I am not totally thick, I soon got the idea that there had been a plague which left most of the population as zombies and that these zombies and those who had died had to be disposed of to allow the rest to survive. This process was less than pleasant. Once all this has been established, in the first few pages, nothing happens apart from extermination and more extermination. The characters have no character and one certainly is not led to care about any of them. I can detect no goal for anyone and no plot. There is nothing to lead me to speculate about what will happen and I am not interested anyway.

Some reviewers have said that this book is well written. I beg to differ. Even in America, I believe, there are still some rules of grammar. These rules are not necessarily rigid but they are there to enable writers to make their work coherent to the readers. Whitehead seems to have forgotten this and writes in such a slangy and obscure manner that I find the book at best irritating and at worst incomprehensible. I feel that I am reading through a fog.

Don't pick up this book if you have any respect for literature or literacy.

Tivoli Audio Model10+ DAB/DAB+/DMB/FM Clock Radio - Chestnut Brown
Tivoli Audio Model10+ DAB/DAB+/DMB/FM Clock Radio - Chestnut Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Please change the menu, 15 Dec. 2012
I bought the Children in Need version of this set as a bedside radio. It is stylish and well built. No controls appear on the front but I fear that this results in style over substance. I use the set a great deal with an earpiece in the middle of the night - we insomniacs have to do something - and, for me, having the socket on the rear is not a good idea. It cannot easily be reached and it considerably reduces the useful length of the cord so that I have to use an extension. I have to say, though, that the performance through a mono earpiece is very good.

In the place of front buttons, there is a small remote control which is easy to drop in the middle of the night. It also requires the light from the over-bright display to help one use it and even then the position of the buttons has to be memorized.

I have used this set only with DAB, mainly with BBC R4 and R4x. Announcers' voices on the BBC have always had a reputation for 'boominess' and this set, unfortunately, emphasises this. It is true that the radio stands on a thin plastic shelf over a void and this can't improve matters. Placing it on a paperbacked book helps.

It is possible to alter the bass and treble settings and this brings me to my biggest complaint, which is the menu system. I find this pretty well incomprehensible. The poor instruction booklet is almost useless here. It is a shame that a firm with the reputation of Tivoli lets us down in this way.

Overall, I would not recommend paying full price for this item.

29 08 14

Collapse of flimsy party

I have now had this product for nearly two years and my comments above stand. My dislike of the remote control reached a climax today. Constant pressing of the preset buttons has caused the little domes to collapse and, in turn, channels 1 and 4 both seem to be permanently selected at once. The result is that if I choose Radio 4, by whatever means, after a short while it is replaced by R4 extra. I have called Tivoli and they have promised to send a replacement remote control but that does not solve the design problem.

The display is still too bright and I have partially solved the problem by inserting a piece of coloured perspex into the cavity. The result of this is that the display cannot be read in daylight. This set is definitely the triumph of style over substance.

ThoMar Air Dry 604000 Car Dehumidifier - Discontinued by Manufacturer
ThoMar Air Dry 604000 Car Dehumidifier - Discontinued by Manufacturer

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably limited thirst, 15 Dec. 2012
I bought this item because I have had trouble with the misting up of the rear window of my Morris Minor Convertible. I have tried it out once, on a particularly nasty wet day. It rested on the shelf behind the rear seats.

The window [plastic] stayed clear so I suppose that it works. I don't agree, however, with some reviewers who seem to think that this dehumidifier would empty Lake Ontario. It did not protect the rear side windows from which I gather that its reach is limited.

I wonder whether the ThoMar would help with the windscreen. The trouble is that there is nowhere to put it on a Morris Minor.

The Novels of R.L. Stevenson (Complete Collection, 13 Novels) - Treasure Island, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Black Arrow, Kidnapped, ... of Ballantrae, The Wrong Box and others

3.0 out of 5 stars SatNav needed, 18 Aug. 2012
I ordered this omnibus edition for my iPad. Although this cost only 77p I do think that the navigation of such large item could have been designed to work. It took me a considerable time before I realized that it was not going to be possible to access the beginnings of many of the novels from the contents page - that is probably why some titles have a faint line through them. The best that you can do is to navigate to the nearest book before or after and turn pages until you get the one you want. If you make a note of the location number you can then find it again by using the finder menu.

The fact that all the books are lumped together in this way also means that you cannot tell from the percentage at the bottom of the page how far you have progressed in your current novel; the percentage given, as far as I can tell, is for the whole batch.

Readers might like to know that many of the individual novels are obtainable from the Gutenberg Project free of charge.

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
This book holds out much promise but, ultimately, fails to deliver. The author can write well and demonstrates his capacity to handle a variety of styles and genres. However, the upshot of this is that many people, including me, will find some of the work not to their taste. I found the central survival/dystopian tale particularly tedious but enjoyed 'Timothy Cavendish' and the composer story. Eric Fenby never had so much fun.

The weakness of the work consists in the fact that it does not seem to deliver what it sets out to do. I believe that the stories are supposed to be linked in some 'mystic' way but I could not see it, nor the significance of the birthmark. To my mind, the fact that a character appears in more that one story does not constitute a link and neither does the holding up a charlatan in one age as a god in another. This has all been done before. The breaking off of stories, seemingly arbitrarily, in the middle and continuing them later is, I suppose, intended to make links. I found it merely confusing. The 'link' provided between the composer story and the first story made my jaw drop in its feebleness.

It seems to me that the author would have been better advised to use his undoubted talents in producing a book of conventional short stories.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 10:02 PM GMT

Monty Python - Almost Everything Box Set [DVD] [2009]
Monty Python - Almost Everything Box Set [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Graham Chapman

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't like the packing, 5 April 2012
The merits or otherwise of the Monty Python oeurve will, no doubt, be argued about for many years to come. Personally, I'm a huge fan and am glad that [almost] everything is gathered in this set.

However, whoever designed the packaging deserves to come to a sticky end in a Terry Gilliam animation or have the sixteen ton weight dropped on him. The outside box is not prepossessing, amusing or informative. Inside this are three self-contained disc holders which could hardly have been designed in a worse way. The films and the tv shows are mixed up and a magnifying glass is required to read the information on the discs, which is minimal. Discs overlap one another and it is very difficult to get them out without damaging the contents. It is also difficult to replace them. The three 'volumes' are identical in design so that they give no clue as to individual contents. There is no booklet and nothing at all in the way of an episode guide for the tv shows.

I have given four stars because the material is, in my opinion, top comedy but I have to remove one for the pathetic presentation of this great material.

Bee Manual: The Complete Step-by-step Guide to Keeping Bees (New editon available)
by Bill Turnbull

4.0 out of 5 stars Another mistake, 24 Mar. 2012
The queen identification error has been corrected. However, there is an error on page 128, three lines from the bottom of the first column. The winter feed is made from *one* pint of water to two pounds of sugar.

HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer
HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars How did this rubbish get onto the market?, 21 Feb. 2012
This is an appalling printer and has caused me hours of frustration in waste of time not to mention paper and expensive ink.

The paper did not always go through straight. Furthermore it would indicate 'paper jam' when there seemed to be no reason for the paper not to go through. It would tell me that the paper tray needed replenishing when there was plenty there. In these cases the only way to get out of the problem was to pull the plug from the mains.

I have occasions to print on smallish non standard paper. The above mentioned problems were particularly apparent in these cases.

The F4580 is supposed to be for light users and I am one of these. A job that should have taken only a few moments would often use up most of an evening. I have given the machine away to someone who wants to use the scanner and I am glad to see the back of it.

Page: 1 | 2