Profile for JJ Greenwall > Reviews

Content by JJ Greenwall

JJ Greenwall "Jules" (London, UK)

Double-wall Straight Sided Cafetiere 3 Cup
Double-wall Straight Sided Cafetiere 3 Cup
Offered by Bin Babe

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for one, 16 Jan. 2014
I put two scoops of coffee and let it sit for up to 10 minutes to steep before pushing the plunger.
The coffee stays fabulously hot for up to an hour which is pretty impressive.

A full pot fills about 3/4 of my (not very large) mug and is just right for my morning coffee.

I don't really see how you could get 3 cups out of it unless they were espresso sized, but this clearly does not make espresso coffee.

Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright Lights, 16 Jan. 2014
As a basic HDMI switch, the box seems to work fine and, importantly, is in the Logitech Harmony database so my universal remote picked it up and can switch HDMI channels appropriately for me.
I don't use the automatic switching feature, so cannot comment on it.

The LEDs on the front are VERY bright, bright enough to read by in fact, and you will have three blue lights and maybe 2 red ones on at all times. Since the IR receiver is in the middle of the LEDs you can't hide the box away in a cabinet (unless you use a remote IR blaster).

Although the LEDs are funky little circular affairs, their brightness is excessive in such close proximity to the TV (and if you think about it, this is where the box will always be).

Luckily, the front panel is exactly the same tint as black PTFE (plumbers') tape, so I cut some very small strips and carefully masked all but the bottom edge of each light (covering about 90% of the LED)and now the result is quite pleasing and much less distracting.

The excessive brightness of the LEDs would warrant only 3 stars, but the fact that it is in the Logitech database gains the fourth one.

Jabra Play Universal Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black
Jabra Play Universal Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black
Offered by B2B TRADING

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best BT headset for music yet, 24 April 2013
I mostly listen to music, rather than make or receive calls, and this little unit is the best yet for that choice.

It the about the size of an AA battery yet weighs almost nothing (not discovered the battery life yet); you can clip it to your clothing or, because it weighs almost nothing, wear it pendant style round your neck (the supplied headphones have a slider on the cable to facilitate this).

It has three well-spaced raised buttons on one side for play/pause and volume + & - with track skip using the same buttons held down and mute if you press + and - at the same time.
These are great buttons; they are not fiddly, so you can find them instantly and without looking, great for when you want to pause the music to talk to someone in a shop or on the street, and unlike, for example, the Sony Ericsson MW-600 or Samsung HS-3000 you don't end up pressing other controls on the opposite side of the device by mistake.
The call handling button is, very sensibly in my view, on the bottom of the device. It covers the micro-USB charging port.
This means that you can find it quickly to answer or reject calls and a double tap redials the last number for when your phone drops the call, but, again unlike the HS-3000 which has a huge call handling button front-centre of the unit, you won't end up calling people by mistake.
The call handling button is embedded in a rubber cap that you prose open to get at the USB charger, which could be a bit fiddly and may be a weak point in use, like the battery life, I have yet to find out.

Now, the sound.

The unit comes with a funky brightly coloured 60cm cable and in-ear speakers. I have big ears, so the biggest of the supplied rubber tips was too small, leaving the sound really tinny and high-pitched. The tips are XS-S-M so okay for most of the women I know who always opt for the smallest tip, but useless for me and if I never thought of switching them I would have been disappointed with the sound.
I switched to some some Comply T-400 PLUS tips that I had spare and the supplied speakers really came up to form.
The sound is really clear, with a quite decent bass and good separation. A colleague tried them and said that they were "amazing" compared to his iPhone headset.

I then discarded the supplied headset and plugged in my Sennheiser IE-80's, also with the Comply tips, and the sound is min-blowing. It is like having a subwoofer in each ear, while the mid and treble are really clear and lively.

My previous unit was a Samsung HS-3000 which, aside from the buttons being in the 'wrong' places, was actually very good, and once you work out which of the three sound modes to put it in, gave a very good bass, but tended to add some blur and a hint of reverb in maximum bass mode. The Jabra puts out as much boom, if not more, without the softening, and the mids have probably more clarity than, say the well rated MW-600 could achieve.

Pros:
- Very easy to operate with a simple but very sensible button layout.
- Optimised for music playing
- Small and lightweight
- Excellent sound

Cons:
- Supplied headset tips inadequate, needs proper isolating tips
- Charge point under a rubber cap that may become loose with age

This is an excellent headset and my immediate favorite.

Kingston Technology 128GB USB 3.0 DTHX Flash Drive
Kingston Technology 128GB USB 3.0 DTHX Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Blindingly quick, 22 Mar. 2013
I have a USB 3.0 port on my router as a NAS Extension.
Plugged this little baby into it to hold my MP3 music and crikey is it quick!

I loaded some 80GB via a USB 2.0 port (from the old media server) and even that was pretty quick.
Solid bit of kit if you want to stash your media on something solid state and portable.

Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad (4th Generation) - Black
Offered by 3B-IT Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Kit, 4 Mar. 2013
Among other things, I use my iPad to connect to my office PCs while travelling, and used to find that actually doing anything other than reading emails was tedious with the on-screen keyboard.
The Logitech Ultra-thin Keyboard has changed the iPad into a completely useable remote desktop with a great battery life -- certainly better than any notebook PC currently on the market.

I can just about touch-type on the keyboard, and the key travel, though small, feels just fine in providing tactile feedback -- it feels like a proper keyboard.

I also particularly like the magnetic clip that holds the iPad upright in place on the keyboard, making the combined structure quite rigid, and you can even pick up assembly without fear of it falling apart.
When closed, the keyboard provides a rugged outer layer which slips easily in and out of my shoulder bag, and, of course, can be very simply pulled apart and put away when I want to use the iPad "au naturel".

Overall this excellent keyboard is a thoroughly essential piece of kit for anyone who uses, or wants to use, their iPad for working while travelling.

Sony Ericsson MW-600 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones
Sony Ericsson MW-600 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones
Offered by FoneM8store

3.0 out of 5 stars Upside Down, 8 Mar. 2012
This is another of the few Bluetooth Headsets that doesn't clip to your ear, instead attaching somewhere convenient on your body. The unit comes with quite reasonable in-ear buds, but the cable is thin and fiddly and much better replaced with some decement quality IEMs such as the Sennheiser IE6 or IE8.

The sound quality of both the Bluetooth and FM Radio are both admirable -- deep and rich and no crackle.

The unit is very light, yet has an excellent battery life, unlike it's cousin the DS205, it has a sensible micro-USB charger, but be warned, you cannot use it whilst on charge.

The unit will pair with three devices at a time, allowing you to select telephony functions on one device and music on another. You can switch these quite easily.

The main issue I have with the unit is that it is over-complicated; unlike the DS205 which fits all it's functions into one button and one slider, the MW-600 has three, very senstive, buttons for music control, a touch sensitive volume control and a call handling button on the front.

Being right handed, I tend to hold these devices with the buttons on top, and when I do this, the display is upside down. When I turn the unit the right way up, I have to operate the play-pause, forward and reverse buttons with my thumb, and the volume slider with my forefinger, which just feels wrong. There is no comfortable finger position to operate the call handling button other than just pushing blindly at the front of the unit unless you are physically holding the thing in front of you, which is unlikely in general usage.

Having buttons on all three surfaces means that it is very hard to attach or detach the unit without pressing at least one button in error, so I found that I was frequently redialing my last caller or just changing music tracks when I trid to get my wallet out of my pocket.

Having said all the above, combining this unit with, say, the long-cabled Sennheiser IE6 means you can thread the cable down you sleeve and clip the unit on the outside of your ski-jacket, meaning you can operate the unit without unzipping.

Summary: the general build and audio quality are great, but the unit is fiddly to operate.

Sony Ericsson Bluetooth HBH-DS205 - Headset ( ear-bud ) - wireless - Bluetooth 2.0 - dark grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Mar. 2012
The DS205 is one of the few Bluetooth headsets that doesn't clip to your ear, attaching instead to your body, and also allowing you to add your own earbuds -- the ones that come with the unit are actually quite good, but not quite up to the Sennheiser IE8s that I use.

The sound quality is fabulous, and there is no noticable difference in plugging the IE8s into the DS205 or directly into the phone; the DAC (amplifier) used in the phone (in my case an HTC) is possibly even inferior to that in the DS205.

The controls are rugged and not easily mis-pressed, unlike the MW600 which is over-sensitive, and are also intuitive to use so you don't end up fumbling to work some recessed button when a call comes in.

The unit comes in either a black and silver combination or one of black and dark gunmetal, the latter, oddly, seems to be heavier and more solid, and is the one I prefer (but lost).

The clip is very solid and doubles as a cable tidy.

The only downside is that the unit still uses the Sony Ericsson 'fastport' charger (supplied), whearas the MW600 uses a more common micro-USB. Battery life is excellent, giving over a day when resting standby, or a good 8 hours of music.

I have used the DS205 with several types of HTC and also with some Sony Ericsson units and never yet had a connection problem.

Overall an excellent buy.