Profile for Wordson Canvas > Reviews

Content by Wordson Canvas

Wordson Canvas

Page: 1 | 2
Sony KDL22CX32DBU 22-inch/55cm Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Compact Design, Built-In DVD Player and 2 Microphone Connections

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up! Brilliant picture., 21 Mar 2012
I set this up for my mother today and it's very good! The unit itself looks great and the picture quality and sound (she likes it loud) are really excellent. Can't fault it so far. Haven't tried the DVD player yet, but that will get a thorough testing when my niece goes round there...

Dylan Thomas Omnibus: "Under Milk Wood", Poems, Stories and Broadcasts
Dylan Thomas Omnibus: "Under Milk Wood", Poems, Stories and Broadcasts
by Dylan Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiny print/font size - grrr!, 20 Mar 2010
This came today and I was really looking forward to settling down with it, having only recently 'discovered' DT. However, the print size is eye-strainingly tiny, and I started to get a headache within minutes of a quick initial browse - such a disappointment, as the actual poetry, stories, etc. look wonderful. The paper quality is also pretty poor. I'll be sending it back. I'm sure there must be more (literally) easy-to-read anthologies out there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2011 1:40 PM BST

Flowers of Evil and Other Works  / Les Fleurs du Mal et Oeuvres Chosies (Dover Dual Language French)
Flowers of Evil and Other Works / Les Fleurs du Mal et Oeuvres Chosies (Dover Dual Language French)
by Charles Baudelaire
Price: 11.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Ah, it's OK..., 11 Nov 2009
I ended up buying this because I love the movie 'Withnail And I.' I purchased the 20th anniversary DVD of the film, featuring a commentary by Bruce Robinson (the director), who talks about his love of Baudelaire. It was on the basis of this that I bought the book.

Now, I love literature/poetry/drama (I have a degree in it), but having read this whole thing through very thoroughly, I'm afraid it just didn't engage me. Sorry Bruce, if you're out there.

Live At The BBC
Live At The BBC
Price: 6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan you MUST have this..., 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
My goodness, this is good. I'm a big, big fan of JJ, so would have paid twice the price anyway, but if you're at all appreciative of his music you simply must buy this, especially considering the budget price. The live version of 'Steppin' Out' is particularly superb (and arguably better than the studio version, which is saying something) - Graham Maby's bass playing is (as ever) technically faultless yet somehow full of warmth and vibrancy, and Joe is, well, Joe.

I just love the whole thing.

Essential Squeeze
Essential Squeeze
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't give it 5 stars cos of most of the later stuff, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Essential Squeeze (Audio CD)
This CD is a mixture of the truly wonderful and the average.

The wonderful, shoot me to heaven stuff:

1. Take Me I'm Yours
2. Goodbye Girl
3. Cool For Cats
4. Up The Junction
6. Another Nail In My Heart
7. Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)
8. Is That Love?
9. Tempted
10. Labelled With Love
12. Annie Get Your Gun
14. Hourglass
15. Some Fantastic Place

Plus, if they were really serious about putting out their best songs, we should at least have 'In Quintessence,' 'Mumbo Jumbo' and possibly 'Picadilly,' all of which are far, far superior to the average stuff on this CD, viz:

5. Slap And Tickle
11. Black Coffee In Bed
13. Last Time Forever
16. Loving You Tonight
17. This Summer
18. Without You Here
19. Library Girl - previously unreleased
20. Last Call For Love - previously unreleased
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 8:16 PM BST

Deep And Wide And Tall - The Platinum Collection
Deep And Wide And Tall - The Platinum Collection
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 3.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying for 2 reasons..., 10 Nov 2009
'Oblivious' and 'Walk Out To Winter' are both on here. Roddy Frame never did anything better. If those two endorphin-stimulators had been created by The Beatles they'd be on permanant rotation on every rock/pop radio station in the world. Not too sure about the rest of the album, but it's worth buying for those two tracks alone.

The Music Of Germany
The Music Of Germany
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 14.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Sterile, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Music Of Germany (Audio CD)
I love an Oompah Band, me. This wasn't what I was looking for. Too sanitised. Not earthy enough.

Farts: A Spotter's Guide
Farts: A Spotter's Guide
by Crai S. Bower
Price: 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I really hope no-one I know reads this..., 10 Nov 2009
Get one quick. I have a feeling this product will be worth a lot of money when it comes to be valued on The Antiques Roadshow in years to come. Especially if they play no. 9....

Frank Skinner on the Road: Love, Stand-up Comedy and The Queen Of The Night
Frank Skinner on the Road: Love, Stand-up Comedy and The Queen Of The Night
by Frank Skinner
Price: 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think you'll find anything better.., 10 Nov 2009
Fluently written, insightful and very, very funny. I read the 'banana' story in public and (genuinely) had someone come up to me and ask what I was reading, as I was laughing so much.

Note: I recommended this book to an intelligent, pretty & witty female acquantance, thinking it would (a) curry favour and (b) give her an insight into the strange workings of the male mind, and...since reading it she looks at me, er, differently...

Guys and Dolls:       National Theatre
Guys and Dolls: National Theatre

5.0 out of 5 stars How could anyone not like this?, 19 Oct 2009
I know we're not supposed to reply to other reviewers as if this was a message board, but I must say I'm a bit surprised by some of the negative stuff written about this utter gem of a CD.

Guys and Dolls should unquestionably be included in any debate discussing the greatest musical of all time, and you won't find a better recording of its songs anywhere, so what's not to like?

Page: 1 | 2