Profile for Ianstreasure > Reviews

Ianstreasure

Page: 1 | 2
ECCO Men's Remote Oxford Shoes, Black/Walnut, 11 UK
ECCO Men's Remote Oxford Shoes, Black/Walnut, 11 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked the look of these but found they hurt the ..., 20 Mar. 2015
I liked the look of these but found they hurt the top of my feet and so I returned these. I do own other Ecco shoes and have never had a problem with them. It might just be a case of not working for me!

Skechers  Diameter Blake Trainers Men  grey Grau (CHAR) Size: 12 (46 EU)
Skechers Diameter Blake Trainers Men grey Grau (CHAR) Size: 12 (46 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars with stupid logos or that give the impression that I might ..., 20 Mar. 2015
I'm a man of 55 so always a little nervous about buying Trainers. I don't want anything to bright, with stupid logos or that give the impression that I might think that I'm sporty. These are a good, solid unremarkable trainer, they are comfortable and look good, without standing out for all the wrong reasons. I do own other sketchers and although made in China now and not the USA they seem to be a good reliable choice.

Camel Active Mens Rush Shoes 320.27.02 Black Leather 11 UK, 46 EU
Camel Active Mens Rush Shoes 320.27.02 Black Leather 11 UK, 46 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars As usual Amazon provided great service, shoes shipped from Germany & arrived within ..., 31 Jan. 2015
As usual Amazon provided great service, shoes shipped from Germany & arrived within three days of order. I was a little worried about these as photos are not very flattering. When the shoe arrived I was pleasantly surprised, they are matt black and look good with smart trousers or jeans. I find them more comfortable than most my shoes but not quite as comfortable as my Rockport shoes. For the sale price they are definitely worth five stars but at full price not so sure maybe four stars.

Basics of Speed Mathematics
Basics of Speed Mathematics

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read!, 19 Jun. 2014
The problem with this book is the examples & practice questions are written in such small text they are impossible to read on the kindle. You need to keep making the text bigger to see them and even then it is not very clear. The book might be good, but unfortunately it does not matter, because the formatting is so poor.

Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
by Ken Forkish

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread making book on the market., 4 April 2014
I purchased this book from another seller. I am working my way through the recipes within this book and so far they have all come out brilliantly. The author gives a list of equipment that he believes is needed for his recipes, but he does state that things like the 12L tub for mixing are his preference & not essential. I for one have no intention of getting one of these and use a 6L mixing bowl. Forkish always makes enough dough for two loaves of bread, I half his recipes and make enough for one at a time. He does not use a stand mixer, nor does he do lots of kneading, as his recipes are slow rise and most take at least 18hrs.. Forkish gives concise instructions and reasons for working the way he does and if you are not sure you can watch his methods on YouTube.

Some say that this book is not for the novice but I would argue why learn to make bread the wrong way, when you can start off as you should go on. I do agree with Forkish that we know far more about the science of bread making and we all have fridges, so why continue making bread the way we have made for over 100 years. We need to learn and adjust. Also if you just want to turn out a loaf of bread that tastes the same as you can buy from any bakers what is the point?

The one piece of equipment that you'll definitely need for his recipes is a Dutch Oven that can withstand very high temperatures.

Chasseur Wok, 37cm Matt Black
Chasseur Wok, 37cm Matt Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wok I'm lovin it, 5 Mar. 2014
As other reviews have said this wok in not branded nor is the packaging, however it does come with a little booklet on care from Invicta & Invicta has a foundry in France that manufacture Chasseur Woks, so I don't doubt that it is a genuine Chasseur Wok. The quality of the wok is very good & the price paid was excellent. It took a week to arrive but I expected this as it came over from Amazon Germany.

I have used the Wok twice & still getting used to it, I previously cooked on a traditional Carbon Steel Wok. The reason I decided to purchase this one was that I seem to get through one Carbon wok a year just because I end up slightly warping the bottom on my Electric plate cooker. I also use Cast Iron Skillets, that I love, so it seemed logical to go for this. I am sure it'll last for the rest of my life.

Very happy with my purchase but if branding is more important to you than cooking, this is not for you and also do be aware that it is very heavy.

Black Round Casserole Dish - Colour: Black. 4 litre dish with lid.
Black Round Casserole Dish - Colour: Black. 4 litre dish with lid.
Offered by Winware

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 3 Dec. 2013
I purchased both sizes of these (2.25 and 4.00 litre) from the same seller. The seller charged no extra for shipping 2nd dish and they arrived by Fed-ex within one working day. What fantastic service.

I purchase both because I am very indecisive and when it comes to cooking size is important. There are two of us and the small one is great for about three or four portions. That is OK but there comes a time when you either want to freeze some food or you have guests come and visit, that is where the big one comes in handy. I would say it holds 4 to 6 portions.

These are not as good quality as the top brand, but they are a fraction of the price and so at least you'll be able to afford the ingredients that you need to cook with them. The finish is not perfect enamel slightly thicker is some places than others (On the outside), but now I am just being picky. For this price they are an absolute bargain, they work as well on the top of the stove as they do in the oven. They look good enough to take the food to the table and if looked after should last for many years, or until I am too old to lift them (they are very heavy).

Buy both sized and you'll not be disappointed.

Black Round Casserole Dish - Colour: Black. 2.25 litre dish with lid.
Black Round Casserole Dish - Colour: Black. 2.25 litre dish with lid.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Good Value, 3 Dec. 2013

Buy both sized and you'll not be disappointed.

Cast Iron Skillet (11.5" Diam)
Cast Iron Skillet (11.5" Diam)
Offered by Colanders

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not rocket science, 24 Nov. 2013
I Purchased this pan from TKMaxx. My old cast iron Skillet had a wooden handle, so I could not use it in the oven at hot temperatures.

Please don't be put off by all the rubbish that is written about looking after cast iron pans, If you believe everything that is written you'll probably have some sort of breakdown just thinking about the responsibility of owning one of these bad boys, and you'll not live long enough to read all the contradictory accounts about looking after these skillets, so don't bother.

They are very heavy so if you are not strong enough to lift one, it might be best to look for something different. I use my skillet mainly on an old fashioned electric cooker, the heat distribution of these skillets' is fantastic and they are a joy to use and I do mean a joy. You can even use this in the oven as a sort of Baking stone for bread, Pizza, cakes.

Looking after this pan is simple, but I do know some people will disagree with my views. Even though seasoned I did re-season before use. I only had Sunflower oil or Olive oil available (I was not going to go out a purchase special oil for this)so used sunflower, rub oil over whole pan in and out with cloth or kitchen towel and dump in oven for a couple of hours. Then use as a frying pan but avoid scrubbing. After every use I wash out whilst warm with hot water, dry properly, then just rub a little bit of oil on it with kitchen towel. My last skillet was my Mums old one and was 30yrs old, It never rusted, or gave me any problems.

Please try one, they are a great pan all you need to remember about looking after is wipe a little oil on after cleaning and it'll outlive you!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 7:57 AM BST

Duronic KS5000 Large Digital Display 5KG Kitchen Scales with 24.5cm Diameter Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl and 2 Years FREE Warranty
Offered by DURONIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for poor eyesight, 7 Nov. 2013
I am very impressed with these scales. I purchased them because my other electric scales are hard to read the g (grams) and Oz is so small I need to use a magnifying glass to see the settings. These are great for me they are very easy to read take standard batteries and appear to be good quality & I love the big steel bowl. I did think about getting a set of manual scales but the problem is I often just want to weigh 10 grams and accuracy can be very important when baking.

The only reason I have knocked a star off is because I have only just got them and a week is not long enough to give a 5 star review, but on looks and first impressions they'll be worth 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2