Profile for LapsedPacifist > Reviews

Rhinowares Hand Coffee Grinder
Offered by Hessian Coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, amazing coffee., 13 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this to use with my Aeropress - usually I buy pre-ground coffee, but wanted to know if freshly ground coffee would be any better.

First consideration for me was size - with limited space in the kitchen (and my wife banning me from buying any more gadgets), this is ideal. It is about as tall as a bottle of cola (if that) and thinner (diameter wise). It comes with a carrying pouch, the handle is detachable, which means you can keep it in the back of a cupboard until you need it. The handle itself, once fitted, is quite snug so does not come off during use.

I cleaned this before first use; it was very easy to take apart, the central part of the grinder is made of what seems to be hard-wearing rubber, and the top and bottom fit snugly on to this. the grinding mechanism is ceramic, and held in place by a screw, so it's easy to take apart and put back together for cleaning purposes.

The beans go in the top (where the handle goes), take off the "lid", beans in, lid back on, put the handle in place and away you go. It took me about a minute - 90 seconds to fill the bottom bit, enough to make a (large) mug of coffee. I did not have to apply too much force.

Finally - the taste test. I purchased a whole-bean version of the same coffee I usually use to compare - and I must admit, the taste and aroma of the coffee was much more pleasing. My wife commented that it seemed more creamy/velvety on the tongue as well.

For the end result, this is definitely worth the money spent in my opinion.

TP-LINK TL-WN725N 150Mbps Wireless-N Nano USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN725N 150Mbps Wireless-N Nano USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and mighty!, 24 Jan. 2015
I was having massive internet connection problems with my laptop via wifi. The connection kept dropping every 20 or 30 seconds; so click on a link and it would work. Click on another, wouldn't work for 10 seconds, however many times you'd hit "refresh". Then it worked again; the network status indicator didn't show any problems and I couldn't find any issues with any problem solvers I used (whether Windows' own ones or others downloaded on recommendation). Particularly annoying when trying to complete forms online, as I'd fill out the details required, hit enter and find that the connection had dropped, meaning I had to redo the whole thing!

I knew the problem wasn't my router (as all other devices in the house worked perfectly) but just in case, I upgraded that to a different make. Still the same issue. Someone suggested I tried to tether the laptop to my mobile to pinpoint the problem to the laptop itself - I had the same connection issues even though all things internet worked perfectly on the phone.

At the end of my own tether (geek based pun intended), I looked on Amazon for a USB wireless adapter and found this one. Under a tenner, small profile, it looked perfect. Once it arrived, I plugged it into the laptop, inserted the CD that came with it to install the drivers, 5 minutes later I was able to connect to the internet without any issues whatsoever!

It's hardly noticeable other than a green light that comes on to let you know it's working and connected. I can leave it in the laptop without worrying that it might get knocked off and damaged. This works perfectly, I get a stable connection and an internet speed test online shows a great upload and download speed ,

Crayola Marker Maker
Crayola Marker Maker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a "use once" gift - expensive refills., 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got these for my daughter to use with her grandmother as I thought it would be a great "rainy day" idea.

On the plus side, they got an hour of play out of these pens, my daughter loved the idea of creating her own colours, experimenting on mixing different colours and in different proportions.

On the negative side, they are expensive for what they are and spare materials are seriously overpriced (in my opinion). Also, grandmother found (with her arthritis) putting the pens together a bit fiddly and difficult to do (eg, squeezing the bottles etc).

Although we got good use out of this, I don't think we will be purchasing this or any refills again.

Veet Infini'Silk Pro IPL Hair Removal System
Veet Infini'Silk Pro IPL Hair Removal System
Offered by Gadget Heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow and steady reduction in hair growth, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used this for almost 4 months now to reduce hair growth on my chest area.
I'm a male, with thick black hair and dense growth, brown skin; I've always been quite self conscious of it when I go swimming etc. I've tried other IPL products on other parts of my body as well as laser treatment professionally.

To start with I wasn't sure if this was working, as hair appeared to be growing back just as thick/dense. However, after 4 months I've noticed a reduction, I'd say about 15-20% less. So, I'll have to keep going if I want further results. It's slow and takes commitment, as others have mentioned.

This is not as quick/effective as professional treatment, however it is a lot cheaper long-term.

Compared to the Philips Lumea range of products, I think this is a bit less effective and slower, but I'll need a few more treatments to know for sure, and the areas treated are different so it's difficult to get an accurate like-for-like comparison.

The big shame is that the product isn't recommended for use on male facial hair, but that said I am unaware of any home products available for this.

LeapFrog LeapBand Activity Tracker (Blue)
LeapFrog LeapBand Activity Tracker (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to help kids learn the value of staying active (and healthy eating) especially on rainy days., 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter really enjoys using her Activity Tracker and for the current price on Amazon of under £15, it's an absolute steal.

The basic premise is that the child choses an avatar which will guide them through different activities to do, keeping them active (physically), They are rewarded with points which can be used to unlock further features on the app which is downloadable for android and apple devices.

She takes real pride when she has earned the points, the app also encourages children to eat healthier as you get penalised for bumping into "junk" food.

It's great for the rainy days when we can't get out as much, my daughter loves to run around, this helps entertain her when we can't go to the playgrounds as it's too muddy.

Micro Scalextric G1092 Fast & Furious 1:64 Scale Race Set
Micro Scalextric G1092 Fast & Furious 1:64 Scale Race Set

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 years old - she absolutely loved it! As it shows on the box, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my little one, 5 years old - she absolutely loved it!
As it shows on the box, you have different options when it comes to track setup, so it looks like we're racing on a different racetrack each time.
It did take a while to get my daughter to learn not to go around corners flat out (or else the car would go flying off). I remember as a kid having a Scalextric set myself, it had clip-on barriers for the corners to stop that happening, would be useful for sets designed for the younger audience.

S5 PWRcard - Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV
S5 PWRcard - Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV
Offered by Fonesalesman

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless charging is useful, but not without issues., 6 Sept. 2014
I wanted to be able to charge my S5 wirelessly as constantly removing/replacing the USB port cover to charge is a bit of a pain. As wireless charging isn't inbuilt on the S5, you need this card to enable it.

Having read the reviews of the 1mm card adding a noticeable bump at the back of the phone, I decided to spend the extra few quid to have the 0.5mm one, which is what I am reviewing here. I also purchased the Koolpad charger which is what I am using to charge the phone wirelessly.

First impressions - it is fairly slim, it doesn't quite look like the picture. It's black in colour but the relative size is about right. It has three contacts which you need to align with contacts on the phone, there's some tape on the card that keeps it in place on top of your battery.

I had to try three times to get the alignment right but got there in the end, I very gently lifted the card off the back of the battery and repositioned. When you put the back cover back on, it pushes the contacts on the card against the contacts in the phone.

To look at, there isn't any discernible bulk added to the back in my view. If you run your fingers across the back you'd know it's there; however I use a case for the phone anyway, and don't notice it at all.

I'm quite sure that the seal on the phone is intact and the water resistance is unaffected, however I'm not willing to deliberately submerge my device in water to find out. But to look at, all points on the back cover look to be fine.

You need to make sure that the coils on both the charger and card are aligned correctly to start charging. Once you get this right, the phone lets you know that wireless charging has begun and the phone starts charging.

Using Charging Report from the Play market, I found the charging rate to be 620 mA - the charger supplied with the phone charges (via the USB port in the phone) at 1200 mA when in use and 1800 mA when not in use. This means that it would take 4 hours 30 mins to charge the phone using the pad vs 1 hour 30 using the USB port. Not brilliant but not the end of the world either.

The other thing to note is that the phone does get considerably hotter using wireless charging with this card vs using the USB port. I haven't tried any other wireless cards or chargers so I am unsure why this is; having read other reviews some have reported the same issue whilst others say they haven't noticed it. I don't know why there seems to be such variance, but it is something to bear in mind if you're thinking of using this card (or others).

Also remember that you'll need a wireless charging pad (and a Usb charger) to make use of the wireless charging facility; if you're at work, on a bus/train with charge points or at a friend's house, you'll either need to switch to using your USB port or take a charging pad with you. If you use a powerbank, this probably wouldn't work in your bag as the coils on the card and charger need to be aligned - in your bag they may keep moving out of alignment.

All in all, it's a useful additional feature. I won't be using it exclusively - if I need a quick recharge or am on the go using my powerbank, it'll be the USB port being used. Otherwise at home and at work (where I have another charging pad), it is admittedly nice to be able to simply put my phone down to let it charge without having to faff about with cables etc. Just a shame it's relatively slower to charge as well as the heat issue.

Edit,
I stopped using this and instead carry spare batteries and the official battery charging kit.

Also, this does stop NFC from working, at least in my experience
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2015 12:55 PM BST

VicTsing Slimport MyDP Micro USB to HDMI HDTV 1080p 3D Adapter for Google 2013 New Nexus 7, Google LG Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Google LG Optimus G Pro

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product to connect your Nexus 7 to your TV, 3 Sept. 2014
This works as it should, with minimal issues.

First thing to note is that you'll need a HDMI cable to be able to connect this to your TV. This adapter has a micro-USB connector to attach to your Nexus 7 (or other slimport device) to on one end along with a "normal" USB connector. This allows you to connect it to a power supply (eg your charger or laptop) to charge your device as you watch it on your TV.

The other end is a HDMI out, you attach the HDMI cable to the TV here.

I did find one weird issue with this; If you connect everything up before your TV is on the correct HDMI channel, the picture shows on your TV but the sound still comes out of the tablet. To remedy this simply unplug the micro USB connector then plug it in again. This seems to sort the issue out.

Kit 2 Amp Micro USB Data and Charge Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4/S5/S6/S6 Edge/S6 Edge Plus, Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0/Tab 3 8.0/10.1, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola and LG Smartphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, great price, 3 Sept. 2014
This cable is brilliant to use to charge your phone; the stickers on the cable suggest that it is ready to charge at 2.1A.

In terms of data transfer, this works as it should. At 1m long it's also a good length. And at under £3, a total bargain.

[Scratch Terminator] Anker Tempered-Glass Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S5 [2014] Galaxy SV Premium Crystal Clear - Industry-High 9H Hardness
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars The best screen protector I've ever used, 3 Sept. 2014
This is by far the best screen protector I've used.

I've previously applied plastic screens which scratch within minutes and attract grease from fingers, making the screen less bright as well as bubbles forming or the screen edges not adhering properly.

No such issues here. The screen comes with an alcohol wipe, soft screen cloth and an adhesive patch to remove any small particles of dust. I found the alcohol wipe great for getting rid of most of the grease etc off the screen and the soft cloth great for getting rid of the particles. I found the adhesive label to be useless, it deposits bits of adhesive on the screen itself making it pointless.

When you first get the screen protector, you do think it's thick, but once on the screen you'll hardly notice it. It doesn't affect the touch-screen sensitivity in any way.

I would advise that you use a strong light (such as a torch or lamp) nearby that you can independently position; this will help you identify any remaining grains of dust etc.

The screen itself you apply by positioning it just above your phone using two hands then dropping it onto the screen. Then touch the middle of the protector and watch it adhere, middle outwards. Use the small card supplied to get rid of any small bubbles and you're done!

As the screen is rigid, it adheres well and doesn't bubble or warp.

I've had my phone in my pocket with my keys and so far, still no scratches. The screen feels natural, and although you do get a tiny bit of smudging on the screen it is so simple to remove (wipe somewhere on your clothes) and usually makes no difference anyway.

I won't be going back to plastic protectors ever again!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8