Profile for Christopher Owens > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
OXO Good Grips Snap-Lock Can Opener
OXO Good Grips Snap-Lock Can Opener

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Those With Weak Grip, 1 Oct. 2015
The best tin opener I've used. The locking mechanism means it's good for people with weaker grip (such as my elderly mum): use both hands to close it, then when it's locked, you can concentrate on turning it not holding it tight shut.

Hitachi (HGST) 500gb 500 GB 2.5 Inch 5400 RPM Sata Hard Drive Thin 7MM For Laptop/PS3/Mac - 3 Years Warranty
Offered by FONICA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For PS3 Use, 1 Oct. 2015
I bought this for my PS3, and it installed without a hitch and works flawlessly. It's only been in service for a few months, but so far no problems at all.

Belkin 1m Portable Y Audio Cable
Belkin 1m Portable Y Audio Cable

1.0 out of 5 stars Picks up interference in my car, 1 Oct. 2015
I bought this for use in my car, where it picks up an exciting range of pops and whistles from the car's various electrical systems. I'm hoping a ferrite core threaded onto it will help, because at the moment it's next to useless. I couldn't definitely say this will occur with everyone's car (maybe yours is better suppressed than mine), and if you're not going to use it in-car or near any form of interference maybe it will be fine. I wouldn't buy again, knowing what I know now.

Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life
Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life
by George B. Bridgman

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably great if you're not a beginner, 1 Oct. 2015
OK, there's a lot of great stuff in here, and I've learned a lot by studying it. But it's a little light on concrete advice, and hard to navigate. Chapter 1, how to draw the figure: a sequence of steps which rather assumes you know how to proportion and pose the figure to start with. Not much use for the beginner. Chapter 2, proportions of the human figure: little actual advice, just some drawings next to rulers dividing them into 8. And so on. However, I've gleaned some great stuff (treat the ears as being fixed to an axis about which the head rotates, draw the lower eyelid roughly level with this axis if the head is straight), and my figure drawing has improved from basically nonexistent to merely poor.

So overall, don't make this your first book on figure drawing, and don't rely on it for self-study. If you already know what you're doing, it's got lots of great content to refer to which will improve your drawing no end. If you're using it alongside another course, I'm sure it'll be useful, too. But, as a beginner, I found it frustrating and patchy.

Hultafors V20P 20cm Professional Try Square
Hultafors V20P 20cm Professional Try Square

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, accurate and durable, 31 July 2015
I got this after discovering that my £5 try square was out by several degrees - enough that if you go round the four angles of a square it was visibly out of whack. By contrast, this Hultafors square is bang on. I don't have the instruments to check it precisely, but I believe Hultafors's claim that it's within 1/2 a degree.

Both blade and handle are made of sturdy bits of metal. I don't use it every day, but I'd have no hesitation in doing so. I've had it for a year or maybe a little longer, and I fully expect it to last for many more years or decades.

You want a tool to do what it's supposed to (measure right angles accurately), and, having bought an expensive tool, you want one that is going to last. This try square exceeds expectations in both performance and durability.

Expensive, but worth it.

GUN CRAZY (Blu ray) - El Demonio de las armas - Joseph H. Lewis - Peggy Cummins.
Dvd ~ Peggy Cummins
Offered by Arco Celeste Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Little-Known Noir Classic, 14 Mar. 2015
This is a great film. A fairly standard noir plot (criminals on the lam), which is very much Bonnie & Clyde. Scripted by Dalton Trumbo (under an assumed name while he was blacklisted). Great performances from the leads. And innovative cinematography: check out the single-shot bank raid.

Recommended for students of film and fans of noir alike.

This Blu Ray Disc plays fine in my UK player, and (as well as a Spanish subtitled version) has the un-subtitled original dialogue on it.

AA Warning Triangle
AA Warning Triangle

1.0 out of 5 stars Not As Pictured, And Not AA Branded, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AA Warning Triangle (Automotive)
Bought this from AAAz, and the product sent was not as pictured - it was the one with wire legs and fittings that seem pretty fragile. The product sent was not AA branded. No point in buying something for an emergency when it looks like it'll break the when you use it during that emergency. Avoid.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but order 2 sizes larger, 14 Feb. 2015
Made of a heavy polycotton, plenty of pockets (and "through" pockets so you can get to your jeans pocket underneath), heavyweight zip, and the elasticised waist means it doesn't balloon up around you. I'm a 33" inside leg, and the Tall length are plenty long enough. However, they come up pretty small around the body - I'm a 44" and I ended up with a 48" to give enough room for (say) a fleece underneath. Some of the metal zips are exposed, so get the snap-close version if you're worried about scratching things like car paint finishes.

Bahco 325 Ergo Hand Hacksaw 12 Inch Aluminium frame
Bahco 325 Ergo Hand Hacksaw 12 Inch Aluminium frame

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect: highly recommended, 11 Feb. 2015
Works really well - comfy and gets the blade really tight. The quick release works well. The flush cut cutting position is good. The only thing that you lose with this design, which one of the cheaper Bahcos has, is blade storage in the handle.

Turtle Fur Polartec Power Dry with Polygene Tactical Balaclava - Black
Turtle Fur Polartec Power Dry with Polygene Tactical Balaclava - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great balaclava, if it fits., 11 Feb. 2015
I found this to be very short at the neck, so I've sent it back. I do have a very big head, so possibly that could have something to do with it. The fabric is great - very lightweight, and fits just fine under a helmet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4