Profile for D. Rosewarne > Reviews

Content by D. Rosewarne

D. Rosewarne "dandtm" (London)

Pe'ahi
Pe'ahi
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Raveonettes album, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Pe'ahi (Audio CD)
I'm writing this review to right a bit of a wrong really.  I'm not the kind of person to criticise someone else's opinion.  On the other hand, this is a really good Raveonettes album that has been left, at the time of writing, with 2.5 stars out of 5.  This could put fans or newcomers off completely - and that's wrong.

The Raveonettes sound has always been, to a greater or lesser degree, as if the Jesus And Mary Chain had been produced by Phil Spector.   This has always been their attraction.  Hence the white noise/distortion has been very much a part of their sound.  I'm not a fan of modern day RnB, but I wouldn't leave a damning review of an Usher album that probably would be considered his best in the world of RnB

This album really stretches the Raveonettes sound - yes it has white noise/distortion (like every other Raveonettes album) but also some great hooks - and even orchestration on the excellent track 'Wake Me Up'.

This is a great Raveonettes album.  I hope this review pushes the star rating up a bit - and deservedly so.

LINDY USB Portable Wireless Audio System
LINDY USB Portable Wireless Audio System
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic streaming tool, 28 July 2011
I bought this as a replacement for my QED Uplay, as I thought the sound quality of the uPlay was very poor (and little 'clicks' were audible - probably through interference), despite some excellent reviews.

I read that this Lindy model offered better sound quality, despite losing the bluetooth functionality of the uPlay(which I didn't mind as it seemed that the bluetooth connectivity was the root of the uPlays problems!). And it really does. It will never truely beat cable connected audio - but I'm a bit of an audiophile, and I thought the sound quality was pretty amazing.

It works simply by plugging a supplied dongle (the size of a regular data key) into your computer, activating the dongle and the receiver, then audio is wirelessly transmitted to the receiver. You can then connect the receiver directly to your hifi, AV receiver or headphones using the correct cable (not supplied). No need to 'pair' any devices up (as you did with the uPlay - very annoying). The speakers on your computer are deactivated whilst using the Lindy, as all audio is sent to the receiver.

This device is amazing, and at about £50, cheaper than the Uplay.

The uPlay may suit people who want to stream music from their Iphone, Ipod Touch or other bluetooth enabled device. But for straightfoward sound quality, the Lindy wins.

In The Bleak Midwinter [VHS] [1995]
In The Bleak Midwinter [VHS] [1995]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film... DVD release?, 9 July 2009
This is a little gem of a movie - but is it EVER going to be released on DVD? Don't really see what the hold up is...
I 've seen some dire DVD releases in my time, so surely a film as good as this should benefit from a DVD release?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2013 2:39 PM GMT

Bose SoundDock iPod Speakers Black
Bose SoundDock iPod Speakers Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Actually pretty bad, 3 Feb 2008
I just bought a Bose SoundDock as I wanted something trustworthy and without any flashing lights on it (as it is to be used in the bedroom to play music before sleep). This seemed to fit the bill; it's sleek, no lights on it at all and it's made by Bose.

When I set this up, I noticed that the platform where the ipod is inserted began to come away from the main speaker part - didn't know whether it was meant to do this or not but unfortunately it made it look cheap and nasty.

Next I noticed a high pitched interference noise when the ipod was docked - and you could also hear the speakers hissing even when the system was supposedly turned off.

The sound, thankfully, is great - which is why I have given this bit of kit 2 out of 5 (rather than 1).

I really wanted to like this system, but at £199 I felt ripped off. If this system was priced at about £20, you could maybe live with the points I mentioned above - but not at this price.

I will be returning this to the store.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2008 8:07 PM GMT

Songs To No One 1991-1992
Songs To No One 1991-1992

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan, but what is this??????, 7 Oct 2007
I can't even begin to describe how awful this album is, and with good reason; these are the roughest of demos that Jeff himself would not have wanted to be released even as a curiosity piece.
There is no saving grace on this album (no pun intended).
Please avoid this album - do not waste your money!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2011 4:02 PM BST

HIM - LOVE METAL ARCHIVES VOL.1   [DVD]
HIM - LOVE METAL ARCHIVES VOL.1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ HIM

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Music DVD ever!!, 5 Feb 2006
You must buy this DVD for the 2nd disc alone!! Read the other reviews on this page, and they all say the same! It's basically an hour long "making of" of a few HIM vids by director Bam Margera - but what sets this apart from other documentaries is how well it's edited together, and how hilarious it is! If you ever thought Ville Valo took himself too seriously after viewing the videos on the first disc then you'll be pleasantly surprised. The whole doc plays like an episode of Jackass, with Bams madcap stunts at centestage. Brilliant.
Obviously there's the vids and live footage on the first disc too making this amazing value for money. If you like HIM, you must buy this right now - you will like them even more after watching it I promise.

Frengers: Not Quite Friends But Not Quite Strangers
Frengers: Not Quite Friends But Not Quite Strangers

5.0 out of 5 stars Please don't be a stranger to this album, 6 Nov 2005
This is truly an exceptional album.
Basically, I saw an ad for their latest album "...and the glass handed kites", and decided to preview it online. It sounded ok... until I spotted this album available also. To be honest, this is the best cd I have heard in years: emotive, breathtaking and widescreen are just some words that spring to mind when describing this album. In fact, of the ten tracks the only one I personally don't like is the last one, "Comforting Sounds". The best tracks on this album are "156", "Am I Wry? No" and "Symmetry", but its all good - and very very addictive. Mew write instantly likeable tunes that are still quite complex, meaning you never tire of playing them.
Imagine combining the emotional intensity of Muse with the ethereal vocals of Sigur Ros and you're halfway there.
Please please just buy this album. It will take your breath away...

Happiness
Happiness
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop albums don't come much better than this, 23 July 2001
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Listening to this in 2001 maybe a little unfair as this is predominatly an 80's album. Still, with songs such as Time After Time, Sun Rising and the bitter-sweet Found, who cares? This was when pop songs were made from strong melodies and uplifting string parts. I Love You More sticks out a little bit, but this is definatly perfect pop at it's best. Great!