Profile for NDM > Reviews

No Off Switch: An Autobiography
No Off Switch: An Autobiography
by Andy Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining read, 1 July 2011
As a teenager growing up in rural America, I often dreamed of places like London and Leeds, of The Clash and sell-out rock 'n' roll gigs. I wanted to move to England and marry a rock star. It never happened (the rock star part).

And so when I picked up Andy Kershaw's No Off Switch, I was drawn in at once to his fascinating, first-hand account of this world. The book is humorous and full of energy and cheek. Kershaw's lived a life most of us can only dream of, and still, the book is accessible, relatable.

I was touched by Kershaw's honesty and self-deprecating candour about his shyness throughout his youth. About the time he worked up enough courage to approach the cool, assured Entertainment Secretary in the student union at Leeds University; a guy with `bog-brush hair'--a much older, mature student--and ask him for his job when he left. It was Kershaw's first day at uni. He was scrawny and `looked about twelve,' in comparison. And even though he was terrified and the guys hanging around nearby laughed him off, the Secretary, Steve, immediately signed Kershaw up as an Entertainment steward. `I was in. I was signed up. Me. I belonged,' Kershaw writes.

This is just the beginning. Kershaw has a way of inviting the reader in--of hauling us into the moment, right beside him. While he's travelled to 97 of the world's 193 countries, reported from the frontlines during the Rwanda genocide, worked alongside Billy Bragg and the Rolling Stones, his fears and insecurities, his enthusiasm, are what makes this book come alive. Which of us doesn't want to belong? Which of us still remembers the day we stood, with nervous energy, in a crowd at our first concert, our ears blasted by stereo noise, cherishing our ticket stubs?

I highly recommend this book; it captures the essence of youth and is an all-around entertaining read.

Sony SRF-59 FM/AM Analogue Personal Radio, with belt clip - Silver
Sony SRF-59 FM/AM Analogue Personal Radio, with belt clip - Silver
Offered by HD Sales Inc

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it!, 12 Jan. 2011
Bought this radio thinking I'd bagged a real bargain. At around £10-15 and made by Sony, decent reviews etc. Let's start with the good points - it's really light, low cost, made by Sony and the sound is stereo (both ears). The cons are simple - it doesn't work very well. If you intend on buying this to use on trains or buses, it will not pick up AM signals and most of the time not be able to find FM either. If using in an urban area (outside whilst not in a vehicle) you might be ok but there is always a hiss on AM. Don't buy this radio, there are better cheap options out there!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 12:08 PM BST