Profile for Paulo Roberto Elias > Reviews

Content by Paulo Roberto ...

Paulo Roberto Elias (Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil)

Page: 1 | 2
Swinging Dixie
Swinging Dixie
Price: 11.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Where is volume 4?, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Swinging Dixie (Audio CD)
I had this CD set delivered to me recently. These are recordings I am familiar with, pertaining to a time when Al Hirt was playing "uncompromised" dixieland, despite all the harsh criticisms he had from jazz critics in the distant past.

Audio Fidelity made sure that you would listen to Al and his band in the best way possible. The label was owned by someone who was devoted to stereophonic music and to several world-wide musical genres. Sidney Frey was in fact the person who sponsored the historic bossa nova concert at the Carnegie Hall in 1962.

Audio Fidelity had a presence in Brazil in the 1950's/1960's, and thus many of these recordings were issued in Lp format locally. After they left, they gave their representation to Som Indústria e Comércio (a.k.a. Copacabana Records). As a result, some of the original albums were re-released on Lp and on CD a few years later.

Al Hirt at Dan's Pier 600, the Swingin' Dixie vol. 1 was one that made to CD. It was manufactured in Manaus (north of the country) by Sonopress. It is reasonable to assume that they used the same master tape that was used for the Lp version, because in both of them the left and right channels are reversed, I don't really know why. And I know they are reversed because I happened to own the original 7 1/2 i.p.s. 4-track open reel tape, so that comparisons were made obvious for me.

During my Lp era I had all the four volumes of the Swingin' Dixie series, three of them never released to CD, even by Som themselves. In the mid-1990s I had already lost all my hope to see these recordings back on CD, so I made an effort to transfer those Lps to my PC, clean them up and transfer to CD-R meticulously.

I also recently transferred experimentally the Dan Pier's tape and the corresponding Som CD with the channels back to the original order to the PC and upsampled them to 192/24 PCM. The tape had had some wear, so the DVD-Audio version of the CD was kept in my collection.

Needless to say, Jasmine's initiative to get those recordings back is highly commendable. As soon as I saw the pre-order I readily noticed that Jasmine did not issue the 4th volume, which, by the way, is one of the best of the series. I wrote an e-mail to them, but they did not answer me back. At least I would have known the reason why the album was missing, and if they ever are planning to get it back too.

As for Jasmine's transfer, the sound is way better than the original albums or than the 7 1/2 i.p.s. tape, for that matter, but similar to the Som CD version. The latter is not so well resolved, so the Jasmine version is the one to keep. The transfer also shows that Audio Fidelity was not completely reproducible in sound mixing. Vol. 1 sounds better that volumes 2 and 3, where some bass content is clearly missing, also in the Lp versions. On volume 4, the mixing varies from track to track.

The CD set leaflet includes the musician's list, but not where the recordings were made. Since Audio Fidelity used more than one studio location, this information would be proved valuable to audio buffs.

Despite vol. 4 missing I would still recommend this set to anyone interested in good music and to serious vintage recordings of the past. And I would like to thank Jasmine for the effort to bring them back.

That's Entertainment: A Celebration of the MGM Film Musical
That's Entertainment: A Celebration of the MGM Film Musical
Offered by Venture Online
Price: 5.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful counterpart for the BBC Proms DVD., 5 May 2012
I bought this disc together with the BBC Proms DVD show of the same musical content. Despite the fact that it is more much exciting to see the concert live with the CD the listener has a chance to enjoy the concert in a lossless sound quality. Of course, it will up to BBC/2 Entertain to come up with a Blu-Ray edition, in which case this CD would surely be surpassed.

Until then, this is the best source for listening to the music and in a way not being concurrently distracted by any other form of perception. Highly recommended.

The Story Of Science: Power, Proof and Passion [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Story Of Science: Power, Proof and Passion [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Michael J. Mosley
Price: 15.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story telling made for the story of science, but with some minor shortcomings., 5 May 2012
I know for a fact how hard is to teach science or any scientific stuff to even graduate students in this country. I worked for more than 30 years as a lecturer and science worker in the field of Biochemistry, rarely away from the class room.

This BBC series is very well made, and highly recommended to anyone who might be interested in understanding the beginning of science and even to those whose perception of life needs to be expanded in a reasonable way.

I would humbly make one remark though: in one of the last episodes the writer spends a lot of time explaining energy, and yet it failed to demonstrate how cells yield energy for survival. I believe that with some insight in the matter the viewer could be enlighted about why the daily intake of food is necessary for the build up of molecules or to produce the energy we need to think and to move. Of course, there are explanations in several levels, biochemically speaking, but metaphors would be easy to use, in order to demonstrate the production, capture and usage of chemical energy within cells.

Having said that, I think it is an excellent series and I would heartily recommended it.

A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals [DVD] [2010]
A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Curtis Stigers
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 8.65

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best BBC Proms ever., 5 May 2012
I was very pleased with this show that I wrote to BBC to see if can lure them into convincing 2Entertain to release a blu-Ray edition of this programme. I lived in Cardiff dor four consecutive years, always looking forward to the BBD Proms, but this is by far the best I had the chance to see.

Needless to say, I an 100% pro-preservation kind of person. It is a shame that the original MGM music sheets were discarded and used in a parking lot. If any good came from this was that it gave a chance to maestro John Wilson to pursue and succeed in his endeavour to restore all those magnificent orchestrations.

The show also served for an interesting purpose which is to let us fans of those MGM musicals to have a clear perception of how would these arrangements sound like in today's multichannel sound tracks. Surely, we would be better off if these tracks were transferred to a hi-res codec, such as those currently used for BD-Video. Clearly, the sound capture of the show is great in so small measure because of the wizardry of BBC's engineers.

This is certainly a must own disc, for either MGM, music, or orchestral music fans, students or any film buff. Highly recommended!

Katyn [Blu Ray] [2007] [Blu-ray]
Katyn [Blu Ray] [2007] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Artur Zmijewski
Price: 8.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended movie and disc!, 27 Jan 2012
No surprise that this is an almost perfect picture made by legendary Polish director Andrzej Wadja, and perhaps one of the best war movies of recent times. The Blu-Ray looks and sounds stunningly good. It is a code free edition, and therefore can be enjoyed by everyone else in the planet, an example that should be followed my all the other studios!

The Eagle Has Landed [Blu-ray]
The Eagle Has Landed [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Michael Caine
Price: 8.31

5.0 out of 5 stars For the first time ever!, 15 Oct 2011
The Blu-Ray edition of "The Eagle Has Landed" fulfil the promise of correct and high picture quality, as compared to the previous Artisan DVD release. The latter was made from a 4:3, artefact plagued, video master which resulted in a disastrous letterbox image. It would work in a 4:3 screen but surely not on a 16:9 or newer screen.

It goes without saying that the correct appreciation of films in the home must be done in its best video incarnation possible. And this is what this new edition provides us, sound wise inclusive.

The film itself is on a par with the best war films ever made. Even if the story itself is not true, some of the psychological and historical elements are. Actors give this movie a distinctiveness of it own. The film also contains enough suspense to keep the audience captive until its very end. Highly recommended.

Bottom: Series 1-3 [DVD]
Bottom: Series 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adrian Edmonson
Price: 9.60

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best BBC shows., 6 May 2010
This review is from: Bottom: Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
I was a student living in Cardiff when Bottoms was on. It is, in many regards, difficult to understand, unless one becomes a bit familiar with life in Britain. And, needless to say, English subtitles will surely help people like me to realize what the actors/writers are trying to convey. Brilliantly written, with a caustic, sometimes bitter and aggressive humour, and well played at all times, Bottoms is one of the best entertainment series ever produced by the BBC.

Paris Blues [DVD]
Paris Blues [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Newman
Offered by 666 Media
Price: 4.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, poor transfer., 6 May 2010
This review is from: Paris Blues [DVD] (DVD)
Paris Blues would have deserved a better film to video transfer. Sadly, it is in this disc produced in a 4:3 letterboxed picture, and not provided with proper English subtitles. The original aspect ratio, namely 1.66:1, is easily transferred in an anamorphic fashion, with pillar box frame.

Acker and Danny
Acker and Danny
Price: 8.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music, but not the best., 6 May 2010
This review is from: Acker and Danny (Audio CD)
Sincerely, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. In the past, Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jazz Band produced more a more bold approach to arrangements, that is not present in this recording. The CD is pleasant to listen to, but surely not amongst the best I have heard so far.

All Star Groups & Orchestra - Three Classic Albums Plus (Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson / Lionel Hampton & his Giants /1954 Apollo Hall Concert)
Price: 7.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding jazz sessions., 15 Dec 2009
I was quite surprised to see these Gene Krupa - Teddy Wilson - Lionel Hampton recording available again. I was particularly interested in the "I got rhythm" rendition of the group, so to me all other tracks are bonuses. I am not sure if the original liner notes are complete, because there seems to be a bass player in the trio's session, and this might be Red Callender.

But what joy this is, to listen again to these performances. Some jazz sessions happen once in a lifetime, which is the case here. I was extremely happy with this release, needless to say, and I would surely recommend it to jazz fans and collectors.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2010 11:12 AM GMT