Profile for Spacepig > Reviews

Spacepig (Cork, Ireland)

Onward
Onward

5.0 out of 5 stars Onward - To The Future, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Onward (Audio CD)
First thing I am going to say is, I only got this CD today and as with all music, it can take a while to sink in before it can be fully appreciated, this is only my first impression, I may edit it later on once I have fully digested it.

Next thing I would ask is, if you are of the mind that Hawkwind's last decent output was in the '70's, then forget it, give up here and go back to the Space Ritual (I may even join you in a while).

This is Hawkwind doing what they have always done, moved on, but keeping those waves of psychedlia washing over you. Did you like Blood Of The Earth? You are going to love this then. But it goes back further than that, I hear overtones of The Xenon Codex in some tracks, Choose Your Masques in others, but always it has moved on from there to form into a new beast altogether.

We have the hard rockers, the first track Seasons, kicks off as almost a metal number. We have lashings of ambience and we have some of the strongest (weirdest? Computer Cowards) Brock lyrics in many a year.

I am not going to do a track by track analysis or choose a favourite track just yet. With a healthy 21 tracks that would be a bit much for me. We have new versions of several older tracks (for me, Green Finned Demon stands out, you may prefer Death Trap or Right To Decide), a trait common to Hawkwind. But in addition we have a veritable treasure trove of completely new tracks.

Will this be looked on as a classic in years to come? Well, for my money, I think it is a vast improvement on Blood Of The Earth or even Take Me To Your Leader, both of which I enjoyed immensely. But hey, I only got it today, only time will tell.

In summary - well, if you have read this far you are going to buy it no matter what I say. Trust me, you will enjoy it.

Burg Herzberg Festival..
Burg Herzberg Festival..
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Locals done good!, 30 Nov. 2010
It's difficult to describe Colour Haze to those not in the know. Let's just go with something like: heavily psychedelically guitar influenced long (sometimes very long) walls of sound that will just pummel and fry your brain until you scream for more and more. That's not to say that there isn't a very musical base to these constructions - there most certainly is, and a very enjoyable experience it is at that.
So, when a German guitar jam focused band get set loose at a local (and I might add, very, very good) festival, you just know that there is going to be fireworks. And this most definitely proves to be the case here.
Not many bands would choose to kick off their festival slot with a 10 minute plus work out. But Sundazed, from Los Sounds De Krauts just gives you a taster of what to expect over the course of the next 2 hours plus. And what an appetizer it is! No time for the niceties here, just dive straight into the main course and revel in the atmospherics of a band truly enjoying the experience.
Over the course of this (double) CD we are treated to the very best of Colour Haze's output, encompassing tracks from each of their previous releases with the notable and much lamented omission of the wonderful Ewige Blumenkraft. But this is nearly made up for when you realise that we have the 20 minute opus, Peace Brothers and Sisters from their self titled CD to kick off CD 2 with.
For anyone who enjoys a good bit of heavy psychedelia or stoner rock, I can't recommend this one highly enough. Not much in the way of crowd noise to distract you, as if it could, but what a great representation of a band doing what they love to do - which is simply to entertain.

Alive & Kickin' & Screamin' & Shoutin'
Alive & Kickin' & Screamin' & Shoutin'

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for - oh yes!!, 12 Jan. 2010
Coming in somewhere between Caravan and Jethro Tull, Audience never did reach the heady heights of either two, despite the promise of their most well known offering, 1971's House on the Hill. Indeed, their follow up, 1972's Lunch proved to be their swansong. And so, after 3 years, and a mere four albums, it was all over for this quirky, essentially English band. Or was it?

Sometime in 2004 I discovered that a reunion tour was in the planning stages, and I just knew that whatever happened that year, I was going to see them at last. And so it came to pass.. and even better, once the tour was over, we had word that the recording from their Deal gig was being released as this very CD.

So, after 30 plus years, how did it work out? Well, Howard's voice maybe sounds just that little bit flatter, maybe the notes aren't held quite as well, but apart from that, there can be no complaints whatsoever.

The CD kicks off with a perfectly adequate rendition of You're Not Smilin' from the aforementioned House on the Hill before sliding into unknown territory with Howard's own Zig-Zag & Swirl. From there on in watch the years roll back as the back catalogue is exhumed in honourable style. The track listing is above, take your time to dig out those old LP,s (unless you have been lucky enough to pick up the CD releases) and them imagine them played live in your living room, because this is how it sounds.

I can't finish this review without mentioning House on the Hill one more time. OK, so there's no studio trickery, all we get is the basic goodness of this song, some wonderful soloing and over 9 minutes of a stupendous band thoroughly enjoying themselves. Maybe it doesn't have the finesse of the earlier version, and, as mentioned, at times Howard's voice struggles a little, but the sheer thrill of hearing this done live after waiting 30 odd years more than makes up for any inadequacies.

Best tracks, for me anyway are I Had A Dream and the closer, Morning Dew. Low points? It's just not long enough. A mere 10 tracks is not nearly enough, should have been a double! For this reason I've given 4 stars (would've given another half if I could) instead of 5.

If you know Audience you really do need this album in your collection. If you don't, go dig out their back catalogue (they're all available on Amazon) and amaze yourself, then come back here with a comment and thank me for introducing you to such a great band.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2010 7:38 PM BST

Chapters
Chapters

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worthwhile, 14 July 2009
This review is from: Chapters (Audio CD)
Let's get one thing straight from the start - I never buy single band compilations. Main reasons being that if I like a band I am, over the course of time,going buy all their CDs anyway so its a bit of a waste of precious funds. Also, call me a bit weird if you like, but I like to hear the album as a whole, not as someone else's point of view as to what the band's best tracks are.
In my rather healthy collection of about 2500 Cds, I think I have 4 band compilations, all of which I received as presents.
So when I heard that one of my favourite bands, Anekdoten's new release was a compilation of their first five albums I wasn't too excited.
Then I found out that this was a 2CD affair, with loads of unreleased stuff and I became intrigued. On a whim I placed my order and 3 days later it arrived. This may possibly be the best whim I have ever had!

CD 1 is as one would expect, a good mix of the best tracks from Gravity, From Within and A Time of Day. All great albums yes - but I have all these songs anyway. Final track though on this CD is an unreleased track, When I Turn, and I finally got a bit more interested.
CD 2 was a revelation. At last the version of Sad Rain from the (very expensive) Japanese release of Vemod. Then new versions of tracks from Nuleus and A Time of Day. At last I knew my investment was worth every last penny!

The simple message is, if you don't know Anekdoten yet, buy this one. You will probably then go off and buy all their other releases, but it doesn't matter, cause you'll still have a CD worth of music that isn't on anything else.
If you do know them and are wondering if this is worthwhile - it is!

I don't really like to classify bands into any particular genre but if you like the following bands then you'll probably like Anekdoten:

King Crimson
IQ

Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo
Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain of the Century, 17 Jan. 2009
79p for 65 minutes of unadulterated freak out! Unbelievable! If you're reading this you know what to expect so don't delay. Download it now! I promise you won't regret it. All I can say is, give me some of what they're on.

A New Day Dawning
A New Day Dawning

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden Gem, 22 May 2008
This review is from: A New Day Dawning (Audio CD)
Track list: Coming Home - Just Another Day - Shine - Fever - Above the Trees - What Can I Do - Little Man - Roots - Trippin' - Until Time Leaves Us Again - Words - Rasayana - Into the Woods

I find it hard to believe that no one has done a review of this wonderful band yet so here's just a quick glimpse of what to expect. I bought this CD after seeing the band playing in Germany and I just couldn't believe the quality I was hearing. If you like your rock in a '70's style a la Sabbath then you really need to hear this album. My own favourite track is the opener, Coming Home, but in all honesty the quality just doesn't let up all the way through. Heavy, heavy bass riffs and possibly the Bluesiest vocals ever to emerge from Stockholm (or anywhere for that matter) make this CD essential listening. If you're not afraid to state that you loved '70's rock buy this...you won't regret it.