Profile for smartyPants > Reviews

Logitech Notebook Cooling Pad N120
Offered by IvoryEgg Limited
Price: 28.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps keep laptop cooler, 15 Nov 2011
We picked up a new Dell Laptop capable of running the latest games (with graphics settings turned down!).

The downside of playing latest games on a laptop is that the Graphics Processor gets very hot very quickly & the internal laptop fans have to run constantly. This laptop tray helps by placing cool area underneath the laptop & has made a difference when playing games by getting more cool air to the laptop to keep it running without crashes.

It comes with a USB cable which you need to attach to the laptop's USB port, but there are lots of slots on the underneath of the tray, so you can keep the cable nice and tidy.

The way it tilts the laptop keyboard also helps with typing.

If you need a laptop tray for putting the tray on your legs & keeping your legs & the laptop cooler, then this will work, but primarily I bought this to keep a high end gaming laptop much cooler.

If you are looking for a laptop tray to use just for normal use, such as surfing, or reading emails etc, then I would recommend Logitechs other tray - the Logitech Portable Lapdesk N315 is a really good option for that, as it comes with a really nice retractable mouse tray too.

But if you are looking for a tray to keep your laptop cool, when playing games, then this should help

I hope my review helped you - if so please click on the Yes button below!

Amazonas Aruba Cayenne Weather Proof Spreader Bar Hammock
Amazonas Aruba Cayenne Weather Proof Spreader Bar Hammock
Price: 22.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice hammock!, 15 Nov 2011
Really nice hammock - arrived quickly & my girlfriend has fallen asleep on it many many times this summer!!!

The colours are very nice, but importantly it is very comfortable to use & really easy to fix onto their metal frame stand. We didn't need to make any adjustments to it to get it fitted.

It is also easy to pack away into its bag, so can't comment on how waterproof it is, as we take it indoors after every use. I guess like anything - if you leave it to the elements it will probably fade and degrade over time.

But for me this gets a 5 rating at under 30!

Hope my review helps you - if so please click the Yes button!

Western Digital Elements SE 500GB Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Black
Western Digital Elements SE 500GB Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good size drive - both in terms of capacity but also portability, 15 Nov 2011
This is a good sized drive, 500GB should be good enough for most of us these days. We opted for a small portable drive, which we will use to backup all our important documents & photos & we are storing this at a relatives house, rather than going for an online backup solution - I accept that online backup is really convenient, but it is still very expensive compared to a small portable drive solution like this & I still have huge reservations about the security of my files stored online with all the recent hacking news over the past 18 months.

Obviously with the disaster that has affected Thailand, this drive is probably a lot more expensive than the price we paid for it which was 45.

All in all a solid reliable drive.

Icybox IB-111StUS2-Wh Docking Station for 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SATA HDDs
Icybox IB-111StUS2-Wh Docking Station for 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SATA HDDs
Price: 22.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - can recommend!, 15 Nov 2011
Needed to get something like this - I do have cables to connect internal drives to USB port, but this just makes it so much more tidier than hanging expensive drives down from the usb port on your PC!

Obviously the bigger the drive & the more data you are transferring over USB, the more time it takes to copy files over, but thats a limitation of USB 2.0 - not of this docking station.

Can thoroughly recommend - it really is as simple of turning it on, inserting your drive & appears in "My Computer" as a drive letter. the "Apple" design also helps, making it look good as an permanent additon to your workstation or desk!

If you have any reasons or need to copy data off internal drives on a regular basis, I would recommend you buy this - every PC technician should have one!

Basil Mirte Shopping Bike Bag Black & White Leaves Print 16L
Basil Mirte Shopping Bike Bag Black & White Leaves Print 16L
Price: 44.74

4.0 out of 5 stars My Girlfirend is very happy with this!!!, 15 Nov 2011
My girlfriend has been struggling for a long time with placing shopping and items in the basket on the front of her bike. Front baskets look very chic & ladylike, however they have a big impact on steering & make the bike a lot harder to maneuver!

Her bike had a rear carrier already & by the description it suggested that this should simply be able to clip straight on. It was - on the side it has metal clips that allow it to be slid on and off easily onto the carrier.

The fact that the design is so nice, is a huge plus for any lady, as they can use it as a shopping bag - it doesn't look like those hideous old fashioned panniers you could buy from Halfords or Argos! My girlfriend feels very proud to carry this into town on a shopping trip - which more and more she is making the journey on her bike as its so much nicer than driving, trying to find a parking spot but also with the cost of petrol!!!

The other comments about the stitching & waterproofing we have not seen. She uses it probably 2 or 3 times commuting to London (leaving the bike at our local train station & taking the bag to London) & there are no signs of wear and tear.

This bag would have got a 5 star rating from me, aside from the price. When we purchased I think we paid about 26 for it - and we went for the cheapest one with the nicest design of the cheapest options. But at 40 it is cynically overpriced ahead of christmas time & would not recommend at that price.

If you are thinking of buying, then I would recommend waiting until the price is more realistic - around 25 - at 40 it is very overpriced. My girlfriend would love to get a 2nd bike bag to place on the other side of the carrier, but at 40 its not going to be in her stocking!!!

Samsung SSG-2200KR/XC Kid's Size 3D Glasses - Recharable Battery (For C Series Televisions)
Offered by Crampton And Moore
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for older children, but may still be too big for little ones!, 15 Nov 2011
Normal Samsung glasses are too large for small heads, so I bought a pair of these for my 10 year old son. These fit him well & he is happy with compared to the normal ones.

Having said that, I do agree with the review of another reviewer, who says that for younger children they may actually still be too big and heavy. I think Samsung almost need to introduce a smaller "Juniors" size for children around 6 years of age, or perhaps some way of adjusting the size - perhaps a strap or telescopic type stems for placing behind your ears.

I am giving theses glasses a 3 rating because they fit my son well & also that 3D TV at home is in reality still in it's infancy - there will be issues with early adoption of this type of thing. the pricing still needs to come down - I would expect a pair of glasses to cost no more than 20 & this is the main reason that I have not given these a 4 rating. Perhaps Samsung could use cheaper packaging, rather than the tough casing box that this comes in - that would have a positive impact!

Roll on True 3D that doesn't require active glasses!!!

Energizer NPFM500H Replacement Li-ion Digital Camera Battery for Sony NP-FM500H
Energizer NPFM500H Replacement Li-ion Digital Camera Battery for Sony NP-FM500H
Price: 33.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Good item - well priced & works well, 15 Nov 2011
Bought this to make sure that we had plenty of spare batteries for a recent safari in Kenya.

The item works well & is holding its charge well, although we have only been using for about 4 or 5 months.

with any battery I would expect performance to get worse over time, but hopefully we should get 3 years good reliable use out of this battery before we need to replace.

Logic3 Rechargeable Battery for Wii Fit Balance Board (Wii)
Logic3 Rechargeable Battery for Wii Fit Balance Board (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars did the job perfectly!, 15 Nov 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
As any parent of a child who owns a Wii knows, batteries can become a very frustrating & costly item! Placing normal batteries (even the well known copper coloured top variety) inside the Wii fit, they just dont last long enough. Weve now been using this rechargable battery for a while - its still holding its charge well & we have never had it run out on us.

I can recommend - I am a big fan of Logic 3 products & this battery pack is no exception. Always better to go for a brand like logic 3, rather than some Chinese clone, which will last a few weeks!

BATTLEGROUND CROSSBOWS & CATAPULTS
BATTLEGROUND CROSSBOWS & CATAPULTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful game from the 80s!, 15 Nov 2011
Back in 1983, my brother got Crossbows & Catapults for Christmas - the following year he asked for an expansion set too - so that clearly shows it's success!!! He would have been 6 & I was 11.

The idea is you use the bricks to create defenses and a fortress to protect your king & flag from attack. Each of you take it in turns to fire disks (soldiers) at your enemies' defenses, by using the crossbows and catapults supplied.

It really is a good fun game of skill (with a bit of chance too!) - we had great fun back in the 80s & now my 10 year old son has just as much fun too!

Can thoroughly recommend this game - would make an excellent addition to any boy's collection of boardgames! My parents have told me that theyve found the old sets up in their loft, so will be bringing it down for their grandson at christmas - he will be delighted (especially as these are now collectors items!!)

Profex Universal Chain Guard
Profex Universal Chain Guard
Price: 8.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Didnt fit the bike, 15 Nov 2011
Sadly, although it states that this is a universal chain guard, it isnt.

We tried fitting it on a 28" wheeled bike, but to no avail it simply would not fit as it was too small

Would not recommend.