Profile for Alexandra > Reviews

Content by Alexandra

Alexandra "A K Stephens" (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to use, 18 Jun. 2015
Horrible, impossible to use, even after moulding several times. I couldn't breathe at all with it in.

The Silent Sister
The Silent Sister

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable read, 18 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Silent Sister (Kindle Edition)
Quite an easy read, not as good as some of Diane Chamberlain's other books. A little too predictable, but well written and entertaining in places.

Daddy Knows Best: A Raw, Uncut True Story
Daddy Knows Best: A Raw, Uncut True Story

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 18 Jun. 2015
This book is appallingly written, there is no coherence, no real message, and hasn't even been spellchecked, let alone edited or proofread. My 11 year old son could do a better job. One star because I can't give it none at all.

Blue Skies Over Dark Days: From first love to last breath
Blue Skies Over Dark Days: From first love to last breath

5.0 out of 5 stars with great panache and a bright twinkle in his eye, 22 May 2015
Six highly entertaining snippets of this author's life, told from the heart, with great panache and a bright twinkle in his eye. A thoroughly enjoyable read with an insight into the mind and soul of a truly talented writer.

KnitPro Symfonie Wood Interchangeable Needle Deluxe Set
KnitPro Symfonie Wood Interchangeable Needle Deluxe Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled!, 13 Feb. 2013
These are brilliant, I'd been wanting to buy them for ages and I wasn't disappointed. I've grappled with bog standard aluminium fixed circulars before and hated them. These make knitting in the round so much easier! The tips are lovely and smooth, the join is perfect, and the cables have just the right amount of flexibility - really comfortable and a joy to knit with. (I bought the 40 cm cable as well to complement this set - I am now tempted to buy the chunky tips to complete my knitting needle collection!)

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, entertaining., 7 Feb. 2013
I read this pretty quickly, and I found it really entertaining, amusing, tongue in cheek, with just the right amount of absurdity and a message to give underneath it all. A bit like Forrest Gump, but with a cleverer main character.

Change of Heart
Change of Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars Jodi Picoult Fans won't be disappointed., 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Change of Heart (Kindle Edition)
Another great book from Jodi Picoult, I whipped through it in a couple of days as usual. Well researched and written.

Mum's List
Mum's List
by St John Greene

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe how cold it left me - stopped reading before the end., 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Mum's List (Paperback)
I'm normally really emotional about this sort of story and was looking forward to reading this book as I'd heard great things about it.

Obviously it's sad, this family has been through a hell of a lot and no child deserves to lose a parent so young. As a personal tale of grief and getting used to being a widow and a single father, this book is fine. But other than that I just don't see the point of it. It may sound cold hearted, but what lessons can it give to other people who are going through something similar or dare I say it: worse?

Kate was obviouly a great woman...but I have to admit to find her elevation to sainthood in this book a little nauseating. It tells a tale of a perfect couple, blissfully in love, with plenty of money and faboulous exciting holidays, lots of laughs, a great loving and supportive family around them... they went through the hell of having a child with cancer and then Kate fell ill and died... and after that Singe carries on with his fabulous exciting life, holidaying all the time, travelling the world and zooming around on speedboats.

The entire book seems to be Singe's way of justifying himself, proving himself as a good father, telling the world what a perfect wife he had and how he is doing all these wonderful, fun things, including being "allowed" to find another woman - puportedly for the boys' sake - all on the back of what St. Kate wanted.

I also find the blasé selling of their story to the media - both before and after Kate's death - a little uncomfortable. I may be wrong, but I've seen no mention anywhere at all of any donation to charity, hospices, or research. Just that Singe got a 100,000 pound publishing deal to write this book. I can't help but wonder how many more boats, holidays or extravagant birthday parties that will be buying.

I feel very sad about his loss, but I'm afraid I feel much sadder for the thousands of other people out there who are widowed with young children every year who don't have the affluent, idyllic lifestyle of the Greene family, who don't have the warmth and support network that Singe has, whose children don't adjust so well to the loss of their other parent, whose marriage wasn't perfect and who have to go it alone without a nice neat "list of things to do when I'm gone".

Kate's list is obviously helpful to Singe, but I can't see how it would help anybody else out there. These things are immensely personal and intimate. A very sad story, but I just don't understand the reason for this obsessive spreading of it around the media. I don't see what purpose it serves or what lessons it offers.

I was expecting it to be inspiring. Instead I found it nauseating and really disappointing.

The Unchosen Twins
The Unchosen Twins

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs heavy correcting, 15 Sept. 2012
I've got about halfway through this heartbreaking story... and I have to say that it is a disgrace to publish a book so full of mistakes. Grammar, spelling and punctuation are all over the place and it's really annoying. It's a shame as the story itself is worth the read, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get all the way through it. Sloppy, lazy editing and publishing. They couldn't even be bothered to run a basic spellcheck!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2016 3:28 PM GMT

Against All Odds: The Most Amazing True Life Story You'll Ever Read
Against All Odds: The Most Amazing True Life Story You'll Ever Read

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit underwhelming, 5 Mar. 2012
I found this book started off well, and the last part was okay; there are some good philosphies for life in Paul Connelly's story... but overall I felt a bit underwhelmed. Its tagline is "The most amazing true life story you'll ever read" - while it's interesting, alarming and yes, inspiring... but it's not amazing in the slightest. There's nothing unexpected in it. And in the middle section it gets rather dull and repetitive. Quite disappointed to be honest.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3