Profile for B. Michail > Reviews

Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope
Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope
Offered by Hawks Photo Video
Price: 168.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good telescope, but it could have been a much better one, 5 April 2010
The pros:
The quality of the telescope and the mount is quite good.
I think that it has a good value for money.

Now, the cons:
The tripod legs bend slightly when fully extended and the plastic "nerves" and braces seem a bit fragile.
The red dot view finder is unusable at night. During the day I could use the two black circles of the view finder to align the telescope with the intended target, but at night only a single red dot was visible. So I could not aim. I do not know if there was a problem with the finder, but I removed it and replace it with a different one.
NOTE the telescope does not have a standard bracket for the view finder, so I had to buy both a shoe holder, a bracket and to be a bit creative.

Another drawback to the telescope is that the primary mirror's center is not marked, so forget most of the collimation tools. In addition my secondary mirror seems marginally off center. I cannot align it, because one aligning bolt is stuck and the other two have terminated. But as I said it's only marginally off and I can live with that.

As for the motor drive, I find the lack of a "neutral" mode annoying, in general I do not think that it worths the extra money.

In conclusion, It's a fairly good telescope, but it could have been much better with only minor changes. If you have decided to buy this telescope, I would suggest the one without the motor drive.
I rate it with 4 stars because I believe it's a good telescope for its money, despite its drawbacks.