Profile for Stormcat > Reviews

Content by Stormcat

Stormcat

IMAX - Grand Canyon Adventures-River At Risk 3D (Blu-ray 3D) [Region A]
IMAX - Grand Canyon Adventures-River At Risk 3D (Blu-ray 3D) [Region A]
Dvd ~ Robert Redford (narration)
Offered by zoverstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD 3D FILM COMMUNICATING AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE, 8 Sept. 2014
Interesting film and an important message delivered in a non-hectoring manner. The 3D photography is quite beautiful. Not just eye candy to show off your 3D set-up, but it will do that very well in any event!

Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D (Blu-ray + Blu-ray 3D)  IMAX
Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D (Blu-ray + Blu-ray 3D) IMAX
Dvd ~ Kelly Slater
Offered by Not2day Media

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD 3D FILM, 8 Sept. 2014
Enjoyed this. If one was being a little harsh it was at times a little 'Tahiti Tourist Board' and the sponsorship is fairly heavily laid on. But it is a good film to show off a beautiful part of the world and the 3D photography is at times luscious. Well worth anyone's time.

Titanic: 100 Years in 3D (Blu-ray 3D)
Titanic: 100 Years in 3D (Blu-ray 3D)
Offered by The Canny Store

4.0 out of 5 stars A MUST FOR ANYONE FASCINATED BY THE TITANIC, 8 Sept. 2014
I thought this was an interesting film, with some tremendous 3D photography of the wreck. The tale of the sinking, with stories of some of the individuals involved, was nicely integrated into the film. All in all, I was impressed and pleased with this blu-ray, and will be watching it again. It will be interesting to compare it with Ghosts of the Abyss, which I have just received via Amazon.com.

IMAX: Hubble [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
IMAX: Hubble [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Toni Myers

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Sept. 2014
I'm fairly new to the 3D game, having recently bought a BenQ projector. I must admit to finding this film a disappointment. The footage in space was not much different from straight 2D, I suspect down to the limited equipment available. The astronomical animation was pretty ordinary also. The space shuttle launch looked and sounded superb, but it was not enough to persuade me to keep this blu-ray.

BenQ W1080ST 2000 Lumens DLP HD 3D Projector
BenQ W1080ST 2000 Lumens DLP HD 3D Projector
Offered by IT Discount EU

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 years in 3D' and this looked amazing. I was a bit dubious of the 3D ..., 28 July 2014
Also new to the projector game. Currently have a 60" Plasma TV and was investigating getting a larger one, but the price for 75"/80" tvs quite prohibitive, notwithstanding the sheer size of the beasts! The current lay-out of our living room with the 7.1 speakers etc really pointed to a short throw projector. Trialled a BenQ W1080ST at Bath Richer Sounds and was immediately sold on the quality and crispness (and size) of the picture. The non-negotiable element (with she-who-must-be-obeyed) was that the screen and projector had to be able to be removed/hidden when not in use.
So, purchased a £50 90" 'portable' screen (stand-mounted), the projector (direct from BenQ (£720 delivered)), two 144Hz 3D glasses and a 5M HDMI lead. The screen gets put in front of the TV, and the projector sits on a height adjustable stand in front of the settee. Early days, but the picture in 2D and 3D is vivid and colourful. Watched the 'Titanic: 100 years in 3D' and this looked amazing. I was a bit dubious of the 3D capability of this projector, thinking it was a gimmick. How wrong can you be. 'Top Gun' looks awesome in 3D on a 90" screen, as does Titanic. Just as good with 2D blu-rays as well, with Zulu looking like it was shot yesterday, not 50 years ago.
All in all, looks like a relatively cheap way to go massive!

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB (Previous Generation - 3rd)
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, 21 Nov. 2013
Couldn't agree more with the other reviewers. I bought this to replace a 7" Kindle Fire HD, and can't get over how thin and light this is in comparison. It is also significantly quicker. Very easy to set up e-mails etc, and you can download apps from third-party sources that offer a experience more akin to 'Google Store' than Amazon do at present. For example, I have Google Earth, Maps and Streetview, the Guardian app etc safely loaded onto my HDX. Definitely a significant step forward from last year's Fire HD.

Morphy Richards Never Loses Suction 73410 Anti-Allergy Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Mar. 2013
Looking for a replacement for my Dyson, I decided that I really didn't want to spend £300 on another one. I plumped for this on the basis of the user reviews (and the price!). I have to say I am very impressed. It is light, well-designed and has extraordinary sucking power. I know it is a cliche, but my carpets haven't been so clean. I was amazed at the amount of dust and pet hair it pulled out, and the carpets had been vacuumed a week earlier with my Vax 3-in-1. Just as adept on hardwood floors. It will be interesting to see what it's longevity is, but you can't go wrong with a 5 year guarantee. Very highly recommended for anyone looking for a light and inexpensive cleaner.

9,746 of 9,914 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD - what is it for?, 8 Nov. 2012
I hesitate to dip my toe in the turbulent waters of Kindle Fire HD customer reviews, but having owned the 32GB version for two weeks now my thoughts might be useful to some. I already own a Kindle 3G and a WiFi/3G Ipad, against which the Fire HD seems to be regularly compared against. The Kindle is primarily used to take books on holiday, and the Ipad is used at home (via WiFi) and on holiday (3G/WiFi in the UK, WiFi abroad) for e-mails and internet access. I bought the Fire HD primarily (I thought)as a colour Kindle 'plus' - the 'plus' being a second access point to e-mails and internet if my partner was using the Ipad. Out of the box, it is a lovely looking piece of kit. It is heavier than a Kindle, but not distressingly so. You can hold it in one hand to read comfortably. WiFi access was automatically set-up - all I had to do was enter a pass-key (on the side of my Sky router). I have Sky e-mail, and I had to enter manually a couple of pieces of info in setting this up, but I got these from the account info on the Ipad. The Wi-Fi signal is picked up strongly throughout the house by the Fire HD, better than the Ipad in some rooms.

As an e-reader, it is very pleasing. The screen display is excellent - clear, detailed and the touchscreen works really well. Indeed, I am finding myself using it at home to read books which I have never done with my 'old' Kindle 3G. I also downloaded photos from my partner's Facebook to try this facility out - very easy to do and the photos look fantastic. What has really surprised me, however, is that I am now tending to use the Fire HD for my primary internet and e-mail access. Both functions are easy to use and very intuitive, and it is just easier to carry the Fire HD around than the Ipad. I have always worried about taking the Ipad abroad because of its size, even though the ability to use WiFi abroad has been invaluable. It looks like the Ipad can stay at home now, as I have an e-reader and internet access in one machine.

I have also used the useful comments from other reviewers and downloaded a number of third-party Android app sites and used these, as well as the Amazon App site, to load a few useful applications without any problems whatsoever, including Dolphin browser, YouTube etc etc. (And I write as someone who can just about turn on a computer).

In summation - and very much my opinion - I am delighted with my Fire HD. It is a much more portable size than an Ipad, offers the functionality I need and looks and sounds lovely. It has completely exceeded my expectations and is very much (for me) an Ipad 'minus' rather than a Kindle 'plus'.

Hope this review is helpful to someone.
Comment Comments (173) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 10:53 AM BST