Profile for DEJ > Reviews

The Dream House
The Dream House
by Rachel Hore

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the author's best book but still enjoyable, 12 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Dream House (Paperback)
This is the third book I have read by Rachel Hore and since I loved the other two I was slightly disappointed by this one. I found the first half of the book less inspiring than hoped but I don't like to give up on a book if I can help it and I found that I enjoyed the second half of the book a lot more. I would have preferred the author to have spent less time on Kate's life in London and more of the time developing the story of Agnes and Raven into a slightly more complex story. The everyday mundane storyline at the beginning almost caused me to give up. However Rachel Hore does have a lovely way of writing that is still a pleasure even when you are not too captivated with the storyline. I look forward to her producing some more good reads! I did actually enjoy the book all in all. It was still better than a lot of the easy read books publishers come up with.

The Memory Garden
The Memory Garden
by Rachel Hore

5.0 out of 5 stars A better read than some of the reviews lead you to expect, 12 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Memory Garden (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It is the third book that I have read by Rachel Hore and I got so into the story that I just wanted to read the whole book in one weekend. I find her books very pleasant reads. They are not great works of fiction but at the same time she makes her characters very accessible and very real. There is something about the way she writes that makes reading her books a very pleasant experience. I like her style and find it effortless to read. There are not many authors where I can actually be bothered to find out when their next book is due out but having read all of her books so far, I will certainly keep an eye out for her subsequent publications. Give it a try!

Eleanor the Queen
Eleanor the Queen
by Norah Lofts

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book about a character I was intrigued to find out about, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Eleanor the Queen (Paperback)
I found this to be a very enjoyable read. I wanted to read a book about Eleanor of Aquitaine but I thought this might be a bit dry and old-fashioned. On the contrary I loved the book and found it really interesting. It is very well written and there was just something about the style of writing that I really appreciated.I have not read any Nora Loft books before I am quite keen to read another since this one was so much better than I expected.
Having looked up the character's life on several websites, I feel the book gave me a good overview of Eleanor's life.

Cosmetic Organiser - Lipstick/Brush Round Holder Clear Acrylic
Cosmetic Organiser - Lipstick/Brush Round Holder Clear Acrylic

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful item, 5 Feb 2010
Have been very pleased with this. It is well designed and looks good. Now need to buy a couple more!

Cosmetic Organiser 4 Tier Swivel Storage Box
Cosmetic Organiser 4 Tier Swivel Storage Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful item, 5 Feb 2010
Bought this for a daughter who seems to have everything except a tidy bedroom. Actually bought a few items in the range and it has helped her get a grip on the mess in her room! They look nice, not cheap looking llike I had feared that they might. Could do with some myself now!

Wild Republic 30cm Cuddlekins Wild Boar
Wild Republic 30cm Cuddlekins Wild Boar
Offered by Partybox Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is cute !, 5 Feb 2010
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
A cuddly toy with a difference. I specifically wanted a cuddly wild boar...long story... and was amazed to find out that it was actually possible to buy one! I was so pleased with this one that I may start a collection!

Falling Angels
Falling Angels
by Tracy Chevalier

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book even though it's based in a cemetary!, 5 Feb 2010
This review is from: Falling Angels (Paperback)
I honestly never thought that I would enjoy a book that spends a lot of time based in a cemetary but since it was written by Tracy Chevalier, and I have enjoyed every book of hers that I have read, I thought that I would give it a go. As usual, once you start one of her books you find that all other jobs go out of the window and all you want to do is engross yourself in the story and her easy but pleasurable writing style. Needless to say I got the book finished in a couple of days and everybody else in the house had to pretty much fend for themselves whilst I enjoyed a very good story. Give it a try. She never disappoints.

The Siege
The Siege
by Helen Dunmore

5.0 out of 5 stars A profound, yet gentle book, 23 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Siege (Paperback)
I found that I couldn't put this book down. I learnt a lot about an element of history that I really knew nothing about. You really feel that you are part of the characters lives. It is beautifully written, so that you forget you are reading at all. It is one of those books that your thoughts keep going back to after you have finished it. Not a cheerful book but it is not too depressing either..so well written that you are missing out if you don't get the chance to read it. Haven't stopped eating all weekend since reading it!!

Drowning Ruth
Drowning Ruth
by Christina Schwarz

5.0 out of 5 stars A better read than some of the reviews lead you to expect, 23 Jan 2010
This review is from: Drowning Ruth (Paperback)
I don't find it that easy to find books that I can't put down but this book has kept me gripped all weekend..everything else had to be shelved whilst I allowed myself the luxury of getting absorbed in a good book. It was very well written and a suspenseful story. I thoroughly enjoyed it, give it a try.

Prodigal Summer
Prodigal Summer
by Barbara Kingsolver

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Prodigal Summer (Paperback)
A beautifully written book. I loved the descriptions of the animals and forest habitats. The relationship between the old couple really made me smile on numerous occasions. I loved it. I felt that the ending could have gone a bit further....basically I was enjoying the book so much, I didn't want it to end!! I would love to have carried on delving into the lives of all the characters for a good many more chapters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9