Profile for E. L. Weir > Reviews

Content by E. L. Weir

E. L. Weir "Female is a gender not a genre" (London, UK)

Monday to Friday Man
Monday to Friday Man
by Alice Peterson

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by mistakes, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Paperback)
I don't want to be too harsh on this book because it's clear that a lot of people have enjoyed it, but for me it was ruined by inconsistencies and inaccuracies. Another reviewer has gone into more detail on the introduction of the character Guy, which reads really badly and which I noticed straightaway. How it was able to get to publication like that is beyond me.

Prior to that, there had been a flashback to 1984 which contained references to things that were either not invented yet (Eastenders, not broadcast until 1985) or not commonplace (the term 'date nights', Sushi and Salsa dancing classes - which I imagine could be found in 1984 if you looked hard enough but were not commonplace contemporary references of the time) which really grated with me.

I know some people would say not to be so picky but when you invest time in a book you want to be able to suspend disbelief and get wrapped up in the world of the protagonist and I was just totally unable to do so because I couldn't believe in the world she had created.

I can see from the other reviews that many people love it so if you're not too hung up on details you may enjoy it but for me it was a complete disappointment which just left me feeling annoyed that these errors were not caught prior to publication.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2012 8:35 AM GMT

Larger Than Life
Larger Than Life
by Adele Parks

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it!, 2 Mar 2010
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
I love this book - I sat up half the night to finish it the first time and have re-read it several times since. I wanted to add a review as I have seen lots of people say how annoyed they were with the characters at the start and some people stopped reading halfway through. You need to stick with it! Real life is not all 'goodie vs baddie' - the most true to life characters are a realistic mix of flaws, good intentions and bad judgements. I won't give away the story of this book but I believe it comes good in the end and sends a very positive message, especially in our image conscious society.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2012 10:16 PM BST