Profile for Scotsbird > Reviews

Content by Scotsbird

Scotsbird

Great Glen Way: Walk or Cycle the Great Glen Way (Rucksack Readers)
Great Glen Way: Walk or Cycle the Great Glen Way (Rucksack Readers)
by Jacquetta Megarry
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, with good maps and photographs., 5 May 2015
Easy-to-read, with clear maps and descriptions of the route and good suggestions to help with planning the trip. I especially like the small format, with its rainproof pages, which should make it easy to use on the walk.It can be used for walking or cycling the Great Glen Way.

TeckNet® X331 2.4Ghz Mini Wireless Keyboard With Touchpad and Multimedia Keys for PC, Android TV and others
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly to use and the range can be poor., 17 Oct. 2014
This seemed like a great idea. We had recently connected a laptop to our TV, so that we could browse the internet/use Netflix through our TV. This device looked perfect: small and neat, with a wireless connection. However, the connection was poor and we often had to get up off the sofa and go right up to the TV (even though there was clear line of sight to the usb wireless receiver). The keys are very fiddly to use and it is very easy to press the wrong button, which can be frustrating. The touchpad can be jumpy and erratic. We have now decided that it is not worth the hassle, cheap though it was, and have replaced it with a larger keyboard with trackpad for £28 (significantly better on all counts - wish we had bought it in the first place!).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2015 6:23 PM GMT

Generic Executive Multi Function 360 Degrees Rotating PU Leather Stand Case Cover Compatible for ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X ME173 Tablet + Stylus Pen (Available in Mutiple Colors) (Red)
Offered by CreatValu Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent customer service., 13 July 2014
This seems a sturdy case with a range of features and came with a screen protector and stylus. Unfortunately I purchased the wrong model number, so can't comment on the fit. I do, however, want to comment on the extremely professional way in which my error was handled. Excellent customer service, dealt with my mistake efficiently and quickly.

Lunar Womens Black Boots GLH714 6 UK, 39 EU
Lunar Womens Black Boots GLH714 6 UK, 39 EU
Offered by Egerton Footwear

4.0 out of 5 stars A good fit and look more expensive than they are!, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Lunar Womens GLH714 Boots (Shoes)
I spent ages trying to find leather boots that didn't break the bank. I was rather worried that the cheaper price would mean poor quality, but I have been pleasantly surprised; these boots are very comfortable, a good fit and seem to be well-made. They will probably not survive the rigours of a hard winter, but then they are not sold for that purpose. They look smart and elegant and I would happily buy again.

Purple White Small POLKA DOT DOTs Mini Spot Luxury/ Premium PU LEATHER CASE COVER WALLET BAG PROTECTOR SKIN FOR 6" AMAZON KINDLE 4 4th WI-FI/3G 4G GENERATION 6 INCH, 6" EREADER With Magnetic Clasp Card Holder
Offered by Goodefiner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit and excellent value., 13 July 2014
At this price I was not sure how good the quality would be, but the case seems to be perfectly adequate for the job. It holds the Kindle well and, together with the magnetic clasp, the design seems better than many other more expensive models. Very good value.

Silver Charm Clip On Scottish Lion Rampant
Silver Charm Clip On Scottish Lion Rampant

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made charm, 13 July 2014
The charm was well-made, delicate and with good detail. Good quality for this price.

Dark Space
Dark Space

2.0 out of 5 stars OK fiction - terrible science, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
The plot of this book is actually quite interesting, although the characters are a little simplistic for my taste.

The part of the book that I found difficult was the writer's licence with (or ignorance of) the laws of physics. It is fine for science fiction writers to invent crazy new technology, but the laws of physics still apply. The space battles form a major part of this book, but there are endless examples of 'star wars' physics that completely ruin my suspension of disbelief. Three examples of things a writer of science fiction should really know: there is no 'upside down' in space, space ships do not stop moving when they run out of fuel, you cannot see a laser beam in a vacuum. There are plenty more.

If you think I am knit-picking then they should buy this book, you'll probably enjoy it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 1:14 PM GMT

Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Part I)
Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Part I)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept - stereotyped characters, 3 April 2013
Firstly I should say that I enjoyed this book and the author's willingness to get involved in the 'messiness' of an extinction level plague was great. Her projection of how illness would spread and the multiple phases that it might go through was very well thought out.

Where it fell down for me was the characters themselves. They were all far to black and white for my liking. Real people are complicated and both think and do both good and bad things, but the characters in this book were either utterly selfless and prepared to do anything for others, or utterly selfish with no care whatsoever for their fellows. In my experience only children's books are so over-simplified and since it just isn't realistic I'm afraid I found it extremely jarring.

The book is very well turned out (almost no typos or grammatical errors) and undoubtedly did improve as it went on. A story like this, but peopled with some complex characters, would really be a great read.

Design-Go Dry Phone -
Design-Go Dry Phone -
Offered by General Stores Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly, but appears to be waterproof!, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Design-Go Dry Phone - (Apparel)
Just received this waterproof case and have submerged it in a bowl of water for a couple of hours, with a tissue inside. I also weighted it down for good measure. On opening it up, there is not a single bit of moisture and the tissue is bone dry. The case is very fiddly to open and close, but I suppose this is a trade off for the waterproofness! Iphone 4 with a slim case was just able to fit.I was able to use my iPhone touchscreen through the case and make a call. The volume level was fine. I am not sure how long the seams will last, if the phone is taken in and out very often. I think this will need to be checked periodically. Have not tried it swimming, or in salt water yet.

All in all, extremely good value for money and appears to do what it says. Just keep checking the seams!