Profile for judephf > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Supply And Demand
Supply And Demand

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous album, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Supply And Demand (Audio CD)
I first head this cd at a friend's house. Had never heard of Amos Lee before but there is not one bad track on the cd and i would totally recommend it. Although I borrowed their cd to listen to I decided I wanted my own copy cos I loved it so much so I ordered it on amazon.
Haven't got round to listening to any other tracks frim other albums though I'm sure they are all just as good but somehow I think this one would always be my favourite.

Crash
Crash

5.0 out of 5 stars So moving, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Crash (Audio CD)
I knew of 'Crash' as a film but I had never chosen to watch it until recently, by default, as it just happened to start on the channel I had on at the time.
What immediately gripped me was the emotional and so moving music so i immediately ordered the CD off amazon. I don't usually respond so quickly to something (without giving it some thought as to do I really need this music in my collection etc, etc) but this was a no brainer.
Yes, the Stereophonics track at the end is a bit out of place (as it is in the film, all a bit too nice and moral, a bit of a sweet way to finish the film off) it seems a bit too jaunty after the deep emotions of the film but I always liked it as a single anyway so you just accept it for what it is.
Buy it ! It's a lovely soundtrack to have.

The Volunteer: A Former IRA Man's True Story
The Volunteer: A Former IRA Man's True Story
by Shane Paul O'Doherty

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliving history, 18 April 2013
Having grown up and been brought up during the Troubles in Londonderry (and having been taught briefly in school by Shane O'Doherty's brother too) this book is such a personal walk down memory lane as all the places that are referred to are so familiar to me.
Plus as well it opened my eyes (as an adult) to other insights of what was happening in the city at that time from a political point of view which I wouldn't have been aware of as a young teenager.
A very well written and remorseful autobiography. Chilling in places as to the determination of the author initially as an IRA man who moved to the top of his game and then who saw and repented.

Disclosing Tablets (Set of 20)
Disclosing Tablets (Set of 20)
Offered by Dental Aesthetics Dental Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 18 April 2013
I had disclosing tablets many years ago from Boots and then they, and everyone else, seemed to stop making them (Boots do now sell them again)
So I was really pleased to find these on amazon. I love the way they show up both old and new plaque (different colours) but these are definitely only to be used at night going to bed due to the bright pink staining that results on your tongue which is still left even after you have brushed all the plaque away ! It'll still show a bit in the morning but does tend to disappear once you've brushed your teeth again.
A good incentive to deep cleaning your teeth properly.

Savage
Savage
by Richard Laymon

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Savage (Paperback)
I was introduced to Laymon by a friend and I read their copy of this about twelve years ago and was gripped, such a clever twist on an age old unsolved mystery that still continues to intrigue us all to this day as a nation.
I haven't stopped raving about the book since then so I ordered my own copy to re-read again to my hearts content. Not as gruesome as some of Laymon's other books, very good. Read it !!!!

Kommandant's Girl (MIRA)
Kommandant's Girl (MIRA)
by Pam Jenoff

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 18 April 2013
I had bought 'The Diplomat's Wife' recently not realising it was a sequel to this so I ordered this so I could read it first !
A very well written and very easy to read novel which I didn't want to put down, I just kept turning pages and not going to sleep as i should've been. Gives a good insight into the Jewish ghetto situation that took place during the war. The German Kommandant became a likeable character and I often wondered how the story was actually going to finish between him and Emma.
Having now read both books this is the better of the two although the sequel is good in it's own way and I would still recommend it as well.

Wuthering Heights [DVD]
Wuthering Heights [DVD]
Dvd ~ Merle Oberon
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Wuthering Heights [DVD] (DVD)
I have adored this film since I was a child and it makes me cry every time I watch it. I can't rate it highly enough. Yes it's old and therefore the effects are old by today's standards but they don't make films like this any more. Lawrence Olivier is brilliant as Heathcliff and Merle Oberon is suitably pale and aloof. You can totally feel the pain of Heathcliff's love in the final scene....now i want to go home and watch it all over again...!

Pingi Rechargeable Dehumidifier Drying Bag & moisture trap, 450gr for your home, caravan or boat
Offered by Home and Hardware Shop Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars This doesn't work, 12 Mar. 2013
I bought this last year in preparation for the winter. I have a convertible car and the roof leaks when it rains and therefore the inside of the windscreen can freeze up when the weather is really cold so I thought I would pre-emp the situation and remove some of the humidity before the winter set in.
Unfortunately it just does not work. At all. I have had it sitting in my car now for at least four months and nothing has happened. It says that the 'penquin' image changes colour once it has reached saturation and needs to be reactivated....well, it changed colour within a couple of weeks but without doing anything at all !!!
I am really annoyed that I bought this, which was rather expensive at the end of the day, and it's not done what it said it would.
Please save your money. I'm off to Poundland to by their 2-for-1 dehumidifiers which I know do work (as I have them around the house) and I'll juts have to try and fix it into place somehow so the liquid doesn't spill as and when it starts to get to that stage !

Painting the Dark
Painting the Dark
by Liane Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Painting the Dark (Paperback)
I've had this book in my possession since the late 90's and came on here to see if I could still find it in print for my friend who loves Italy & Rome so i'm sure she would enjoy it too.
I've just re-read it (again !) and it is a gripping book and storyline and the descriptions of ancient (and modern) Rome are excellent.
I love books by Barbara Erskine anyway so Liane Jones is a welcome author to sit alongside her and I am now going to look for The Dreamstone to see if I can buy it to read. It's well worth buying this book !!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3