Profile for Matthew Wilde > Reviews

LAMY safari Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Blue
Offered by LPC Stationers
Price: 13.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Very dark blue!, 22 Aug 2014
A nice pen, which I shall happily use - but the colour is so much darker than the photograph that I wouldn't have believed I had been sent the right item, if the manufacturer's part number didn't match the product details.

"Palestinian Flag"(round) Lapel Pin Badge
"Palestinian Flag"(round) Lapel Pin Badge
Offered by Family Crests
Price: 4.30

4.0 out of 5 stars ) Looks smart, and good quality, 11 Aug 2014
This is about 23 mm across. The pin is quite long, and the underside of the badge has a small projection. Those two things make me think that it's designed to be worn on a coat or other thick clothing. (I had wanted to wear it on a shirt.) Looks smart, and good quality.

Dream On [DVD]
Dream On [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lloyd Eyre-Morgan
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty dull., 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dream On [DVD] (DVD)
I thought this film very poor. It so failed to engage me that I didn't watch the last half-hour or so. It sounded like the sort of thing I would enjoy, and I noted the good reviews - but I really wasn't impressed with plot, script or photography. The acting was reasonable. Not one I'd recommend to anyone.

Wirksworth and five miles round;  an historical sketch
Wirksworth and five miles round; an historical sketch
by Richard R. Hackett
Price: 14.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Printed on demand - badly., 4 Dec 2013
Some interesting pieces of information can be gleaned from this edition of 'Wirksworth' - but it's a difficult harvest. With poor OCR-ing, no proof-reading, and not even a carriage return added between eg a title page and the next, it's not an easy read. Some misprints are obvious - the lead mines were worked "before the Eoman invasion"; a man was called Eichard Harrison - but other misprints won't be, so one can't rely on the names of people or places. Better to avoid this modern edition, and buy a second-hand book, no matter in how bad a state. There's no point in these print-on-demand books existing, if they can't be read!

DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: St Petersburg
DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: St Petersburg
by Dorling Kindersley ( DK CHU BAN SHE )

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed., 26 Oct 2013
This little book would easily fit into a pocket, and be very handy when actually sightseeing in St Petersburg; and is as well-designed as one would expect from this publisher. I don't think it would be adequate for planning a sightseeing trip - but I don't think it was designed or intended for that - and other, larger books (from DK or other publishers) fill that need.

The fold-out map is (approximately) 12 inches / 30 centimetres by 14 inches / 36 centimetres. One side is headed "St Petersburg" (with a small inset of the surrounding area); and the other side has maps headed "Central St Petersburg" and "Transport Map" (each occupying about a quarter of the sheet), and a street index.

Index to Testators in Waters's Genealogical Gleanings in England, in the New-England Historical and Genealogical Register
by William S[ummer] Appleton
Price: 12.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Water's Index., 24 Oct 2013
It's almost impossible to know what you're buying, with these 'print on demand' books, isn't it? I can't think why the companies publishing and selling them don't do more to explain what the books contain. Here's my brief attempt to assist anyone who comes across this one.

I've uploaded a scan of the title page. The booklet indexes surnames and forenames, with references of two numbers. I take these to be the volume and page number of the 'New England Historical and Genealogical Register' referred to on the title page.

I have to give a star rating. I've chosen a pretty arbitrary figure. That's about all there is to say!

Vampires Brighter in Darkness [DVD]
Vampires Brighter in Darkness [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rhys Howells
Offered by fat_buddha
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I watched it - and threw it away., 9 Sep 2013
Vampires are fun, and the genre is also ripe for camp send-up - but this movie was really boring. The script and the acting were very poor. I threw it away, rather than inflict it on some unsuspecting charity shop customer!

Raped: Memories of a Catholic Altar Boy
Raped: Memories of a Catholic Altar Boy
by Dennis Domrzalski
Price: 9.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and important, but ..., 13 Sep 2012
This is an important document, but not a well-written book. As a memoir it is graphic (though not detailed); full of anger and rage. As a book it is repetitive and not clearly structured; and I found myself wondering whether a novelist's account of the same story might not in the end be more powerful.

LaCie Minimus 1TB USB 3.0
LaCie Minimus 1TB USB 3.0

1.0 out of 5 stars It looks nice, but didn't work., 23 Aug 2012
Having plugged in the power and USB cables, I watched nothing happen on my computer (apart from the appearance of a 'splash screen' logo) for over half an hour. (Well, I was reading a book, as well!) I tried turning the drive off and on, and rebooting the computer - both to no effect. Looking on the manufacturer's website, the only suggested solution was to format and repartition the disk! Although I felt competent to do that - having worked in IT for twenty years - I was not comfortable doing it, and chose not to. I returned the item for a refund, and bought a Toshiba - which worked perfectly.

Toshiba HDTC610EK3B1 1TB Stor.E Canvio USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for backups!, 23 Aug 2012
Beautiful little machine! It did exactly what I wanted. I plugged in the one USB cord, watched the instant installation, and immediately drag-and-dropped files to it. Simple, straightforward, and stylish!

Page: 1 | 2