Profile for Simon > Reviews

Salvation in My Pocket: Fragments of Faith and Theology
by Benjamin Myers
Price: 11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars All I expected and more, 2 Jan 2014
I was really pleased to see some of my favourite blog posts such as 'boredom' appear here, as well as new material.

What really is the best part of the book however is the index at the back. It is probably the index that I have been waiting for all my life.

Call to Discipleship (Facets)
Call to Discipleship (Facets)
by Karl Barth
Price: 6.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of context, 21 Feb 2013
I was disappointed with this book.

I looked up the larger section that it was part of in Church Dogmatics and only then did what Barth is saying come into focus. This extract on discipleship is taken out of the context it is in and so it creates a false view of Barth's doctrine of discipleship.

Get the whole volume instead!

The Future of Christianity
The Future of Christianity
by David Martin
Price: 19.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book, 13 Mar 2012
This is the most intelligent, careful and lucid scholarship that I have read for some time.

It examines many of the myths in circulation over processes of secularization and various different narratives which support ideologies. In examining them David Martin problematises them and helps us look at the underlying complexity and assumptions made.

For anyone who bases decisions (especially in the Church) about how to act in the present to effect the future, this is salutary reading.

Highly recommended, and much more interesting and stimulating than generalized accounts of trends in modernity and post-modernity which impact the Church and society.

The Actuality of Atonement: A Study of Metaphor, Rationality and the Christian Tradition
by Colin E. Gunton
Price: 29.03

5.0 out of 5 stars best book on atonement, 30 Jan 2011
after seeing the below review I thought that I would say that I have found this book enormously helpful in its discussions on the atonement - especially questions of language and the nature of metaphor, and coming at a familiar subject from a rewarding perspective. Unlike any other treatment of the subject, and well worth the time invested in reading it.

Rainbows in my eyes
Rainbows in my eyes
by J. K. Rowbory
Price: 8.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of poems, 17 Dec 2009
This review is from: Rainbows in my eyes (Paperback)
This is an excellent book of poems that is insightful and enjoyable.

This book of poems covers themes of nature, sensation and illness with lucidity and luminosity. This book is a profound meditation on these themes, threads of which are found scattered through this collection. There are many outstanding poems which shine like stars in this book and which reward careful reading.

But any review cannot stop here. A question must be asked about how the collection stands together as a whole. Is there any central principle behind the individual points of beauty? I believe it is God. Not all the poems are directly about God, but a lot are written in reference to God or his creation. It recalls something of Genesis 32 in which Jacob wrestles with God. So here is a wrestling with God in the form of the written word - in the context of illness - a fight which, ultimately, turns into an embrace.

Mention must be made of my favourite poem in this collection: 'Sleep pod', which is an evocative and engaging piece about going to sleep. Which also stands in counterpoint to the later poem 'Night-time' providing an interesting contrast.

This book of poems comes highly recommended.