Profile for Mr. N. Mckenna > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Mckenna

Mr. N. Mckenna "Kulgan" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Coconut Scraper (Vacuum Based)
Coconut Scraper (Vacuum Based)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly!, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Coconut Scraper (Vacuum Based)
I had fairly low expectations of this low cost product, but it turns out to be a cracking little kitchen utility! I bought it because I was doing a Thai Christmas curry and I wanted to make my own coconut cream. It is easy to set up and effortless to use. Much better than the manual alternative!

Leap Motion Controller (Interacts with your Mac or PC)
Leap Motion Controller (Interacts with your Mac or PC)
Offered by Elegant accessories

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Installation, Poor Accuracy, 31 July 2013
I received this a few days ago and I was pretty excited! There is some really cool stuff on the Leap Motion site, so my expectations were high. Unfortunately, things did not go well from the start... Out of the box the controller didn't work. An hour or so of reinstalling, Googling and firmware updates later, I got it working. Then I discovered the major flaw! The main problem with Leap Motion is the accuracy. It just isn't very good. You have to hold your hand pretty close to the device. I had a go at a free app which lets you control Windows 8 using Leap Motion. It wasn't a good experience. It was impossible to click on anything as the cursor jittered around the screen. My advice - stick with your Kinect!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 5:58 PM BST

Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Cohn))

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, 26 July 2013
This is on my "required reading" list for everyone involved in an Agile team. Even if you are not a tester you should red this book. Like all the best Agile books, it is written by someone who has been through a painful experience and wants to spare you the pain of their errors! The diagram of the Testing Quadrants alone is worth the money!

Magician (The Riftwar Saga, Book 1)
Magician (The Riftwar Saga, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Book Ever Written, 26 July 2013
I have owned five copies of Magician now. I have worn out several copies, lent out others and now I have the Kindle version! The first time I read this book was 24 years ago. I pretty much reread it at least once per year ever since.

The story is focused around Pug, Tomas and Prince Arutha as they take part in a world-spanning conflict. The detail is compelling and yet not overwhelming. The characters are heroic and flawed, but admirable. The events of the "real" world of Midkemia run in conjunction with the mystique of the events of the formation of the universe, the gods and the powerful. it's almost Shakepearean in the composition of the story.

I rate this book more highly than Lord of The Rings. Every fantasy fan should have read this book (and the two immediate sequels) as it represents the very finest in fantasy literature.

Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible
Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible
by Madhur Jaffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars I Learned To Cook From This Book!, 26 July 2013
I like a curry and I needed to learn to cook. I hated cooking. I still don't like it much, but Madhur's recipes make it bearable. I started at the start of the book and every time I fancied a curry, I picked a new recipe from a different section of the book. There are a lot of recipes in here! There are also a lot of general tips on curries, naan etc.

The Penal Colony
The Penal Colony

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, 26 July 2013
This review is from: The Penal Colony (Kindle Edition)
This is a gritty, thrilling read. If you like your entertainment light, then this book is not for you! The characters are engaging and realistic and the bizarre and yet plausible. It's a very refreshing read!

Sennheiser PMX60 Open Dynamic Neckband On-Ear Headphones (latest version)
Sennheiser PMX60 Open Dynamic Neckband On-Ear Headphones (latest version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Gym, 26 July 2013
These are the first headphones I have ever owned that don't fall off in the gym! I would definitely recommend them.

HTC 8S Windows Phone - Atlantic Blue
HTC 8S Windows Phone - Atlantic Blue
Offered by Mobitz

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs More Memory, 26 July 2013
This phone only has 4Gb of RAM. You can put in an SD card, BUT you cannot choose where the phone puts most of its content. Consequently, my phone won't update itself with operating system patches as it insists I need 406Mb free to do it. I can't free this memory up because the OS and Apps are using up all but 100Mb of the space, despite me having an almost empty SD card in it too! I guess you need at least an 8Gb phone if you want to keep it up to date.

Samsung 350V5C 15.6-inch Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life, 26 July 2013
Great little laptop, but the battery died after about six months. I think it may be because I was using some clever battery saver bit of technology that was supposed to extend the lifespan of the battery. Very ironic.

Kingston 32GB Data Traveller Ultimate 3.0 Generation 2 USB
Kingston 32GB Data Traveller Ultimate 3.0 Generation 2 USB
Offered by Hellifield Office Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars XBox, 26 July 2013
This is a super little device, but for some reason my XBox 360 doesn't like it much. After switching on my XBox, I have to unplug and replug in the USB stick for the XBox to recognise it. Very odd.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3