Profile for Nick in Southampton > Reviews

Content by Nick in Southa...

Nick in Southampton

The Kill Order (Maze Runner)
The Kill Order (Maze Runner)

1.0 out of 5 stars a bit self-indulgent, 17 Jan. 2015
Having finished this one as I felt compelled to do as having read the other three, unfortunately, it had next to little to it.

Damocles
Damocles

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't take to it, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Damocles (Kindle Edition)
Sorry, this book was not for me; I didn't enjoy it. Doesn't fit with the Iain M Banks style sci-fi that I tend to go for.

Macadamia Natural Healing Oil Hair Treatment - 125 ml
Macadamia Natural Healing Oil Hair Treatment - 125 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says it will., 29 Jan. 2014
I've been using a heavy wax oil from the Body Shop on my hair for years as the only way to give it any control and any look of moisture. This oil has done exactly the same weightlessly and if anything has left my hair more glossy than my usual much heavier oil. Exceeded my expectations by far.

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Book 2 (Kingkiller Chonicles)
The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Book 2 (Kingkiller Chonicles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 Nov. 2013
Beautifully and technically simple, like a rich meat falling off the bone for a blunt knife. Thank you Mr Rothfuss.

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chonicle: Book 1 (Kingkiller Chonicles)
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chonicle: Book 1 (Kingkiller Chonicles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pace and depth, 21 Nov. 2013
Like a Goldilock's wee bear's porridge book. Not too slow, not too fast; not too shallow, not too deep; not too intellectual, not too dumb; not too much magic, not without magic; not with a dragon, not without a dragon; not too much love, not without love; not too much friendship, not without friendship; not too great a villain, not without a villain; not too much trust from his elders, not without trust from his elders; not too much death, not without death; not too much evil, not without evil. I could go on. Just right in every way. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and give it a clear top 5 stars from me. Nice that it's written by a chemist, giving thorough authenticity to the chemistry of the alchemy, and a rich logic to the magic. In my opinion this is top of its field in this genre.

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hypnotising, 25 Oct. 2013
Excellent. Had me living the emotions of the characters. Engrossing. Must be hypnotising involved! Why did Anthony Ryan have to self-publish this? The publishers who initially rejected it for publication couldn't have read it. Top 5 stars.

Battle For Empire (The Eskkar Saga Book 5)
Battle For Empire (The Eskkar Saga Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right, 13 Oct. 2013
Excellent. Builds perfectly on what's gone on before and leaves me ready to jump into the next. Thank you Mr Barone.

Dawn of Empire
Dawn of Empire
by Sam Barone

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Excellent, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Dawn of Empire (Paperback)
I read a lot of fiction books (40 to 50 a year), and I particularly love historical fiction. I don't write many reviews, but because this series seems to be getting a few negative reviews I thought that I needed to register that this trilogy is at the top of my list of favourite reads. No other trilogies have beaten it. I became totally engrossed in the story and loved the slow development and revelations of new ideas and organisation for developing human civilisation. I would recommend this series to anyone. I would just like Sam Barone to write some more as I can't speak highly enough of these three books and would jump at the chance to read more of the same. Thank you Sam Barone for these books.

Traitor's Blood: Book 1 of The Civil War Chronicles
Traitor's Blood: Book 1 of The Civil War Chronicles
by Michael Arnold

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 14 Dec. 2010
Sorry, but with all the 5-star reviews and the excellent book jacket, I was really looking forward to this one arriving. Unfortunately, I probably had too high expectations, because this is not a Bernard Cornwell style debut. Too plodding, too wordy with the conversations between characters with not enough substance to the whole narrative. Yes, the history is fine and accurate, but this book didn't bring it to life for me. I shall return to Cornwell and Follett for my historical fiction; this book just wasn't for me; which is a shame.