Profile for E. Perkins > Reviews

Content by E. Perkins

E. Perkins "spideredd" (Suffolk, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
Offered by Audio_Shack

5.0 out of 5 stars step up, 7 Sept. 2013
I upgraded my 55-200 to this lens because I wanted to get some good pictures of my little boy in the park without following him around so closely. He's an energetic little whatsit so the AF has to be quick, which this one is.
The only downside that I've found is that it has a minimum focus distance of around 4 feet (mine comes in a little less) so it's not much good around the house.
Although this lens is heavier than my 55-200 by a significant margin after about a week I had learned to compensate for the weight, and I can walk around with it for a few hours without neck ache.
I like the VR II feature because it means that I don't have to lug around a tripod everywhere I go.

SAVFY® iPod Classic Gym Jogging Sports Armband Cover Case Comfortable Soft Water Resistant Neoprene for Apple iPod Classic 80GB 120GB 160GB + iPod Video 30GB 60GB (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Backwards?, 7 Sept. 2013
This is a great little protector that does its job and does so inexpensively. My one and only niggle is that the clip is front to back and I think it would be more aesthetically pleasing if it were back to front. You can clearly see this in the product photo so as I say, it is a niggle.

OP/TECH Super Classic Strap Pro Loop - Black
OP/TECH Super Classic Strap Pro Loop - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, 7 Sept. 2013
This strap is much easier to put on than my Nikon strap was to take off.
I've not taken this one out for a long session yet, but it already feels more comfortable with the added bonus that I don't smack my two year old in the head with my camera when I pick him up. The camera stays where it is put.

Pathfinder Companion: Adventurer's Armory
Pathfinder Companion: Adventurer's Armory
by Paizo Staff

2.0 out of 5 stars Not essentail, 1 May 2013
Just about every item in this book is covered elsewhere.
Only a few of the magic items and the NPC are unique.
i do like the tables in the covers though, they make for an easy reference of stuff

The Left Hand of God
The Left Hand of God
by Paul Hoffman

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst book I have ever read, 22 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Left Hand of God (Hardcover)
There are many things wrong with this book.

First of all, I've read the book and have not got the foggiest as to what it is about, but I will do my best to summarise. Thomas Cale grew up in Sanctuary, escapes and ends up in Memphis. Thomas Cale is a gifted redeemer, but how he is gifted is unclear. But someone wants to keep him alive for this gift. He escapes with two boys and one girl, none of whom can remember being in the outside world, but it's okay that they escaped because they had such terrible lives and this is emphasised throughout the book. Thomas Cale is shown to be dangerous and the only reason that I know that the people he fights against are dangerous is because the writer insists on telling me so.

Second, All that I know about Sanctuary is that the Redeemers live there, a group of zealots. They control an empire that stretches at least 2000 miles. Sanctuary is used by the Redeemers to train boys into warriors. As for Memphis is that it is about 200 miles from Sanctuary, that it bustles and that it has a large underworld. Memphis is the home to the Materazzi, a people that have an empire.
But don't ask me what either place looks like, as I have no descriptions of Memphis and only a rough one of Sanctuary simply because that's all that's offered in the book.

Third, I felt that the writer was talking down to me. Almost every little thing the characters did was explained to me, down to vomiting and the skinning of rats. Had this been absent, the book may have been only average instead of terrible. The writer seems to feel the need to take over the POV by force from the characters with little or no warning (his favourite trick is brackets such as these). The writer interference does not end there either, as the writers emotions on some subjects are hard to ignore.

Forth, I lost track of the number of characters that were introduced and had a detailed history while the writer told me they were dangerous before they were killed or ignored. This sometimes happened in a few paragraphs.

Fifth, The plot becomes slow, confused and predictable and the characters are inconsistent. The Redeemers, for instance, are fighting a war on two fronts at the start of the war against an enemy called the Antagonists, but this becomes almost forgotten about once Cale reaches Memphis.

Finally, having read the page of acknowledgements, which is the most well written page in the book, I can safely say that the writer is showing off. It reads like a bibliography, so at least we know who, aside from the writer is to blame and includes the line, 'Scattered here and there are lines from Robert Grave's great translation of Homer, The Anger of Achilles.' big deal, so what?

In short, this book does not 'Flow'. It grates and it grinds. I have never read such a difficult book, not made difficult by the language or the subject, which is a simple, average, Fantasy. But by the writer trying to make his presence felt.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2011 4:25 PM BST

Warmachine Prime: Remix
Warmachine Prime: Remix
by Privateer Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, 10 Aug. 2008
As there is no Synopsis. i'll set a brief one out.
This is a the main rule book for a fantasy wargame for warmachine, a game origanlly published in 2002 by Privateer Press. It has been updated to the FAQ on the Privateer Press website and includes the FAQ for then next three rule books that you may use for the game.
The game centers around the use of large steam powered 'warjacks' that give the game its name.
All in all, i find this game to be ridiculously over powered, but the odd thing is that it works and is balanced because every faction is over powered. I have had a great deal of fun making my warjack pick up my opponents warjack and throw it at their other warjacks.
I also find the game easy to pick up and learn. Because of this, it is easy to teach. I've even had complete novices beat me in their first game because they've picked it up so well.
I also recomend that you buy the book just for page five; "If you've ever whined the words 'That's too powerful,' then put the book down slowly and walk away" is my favorite quote from wargaming as a whole.
Buy the book.
Play the game.
but above all, "Play like you've got a pair"

Evanescence: Anywhere But Home (DVD + CD) [2004]
Evanescence: Anywhere But Home (DVD + CD) [2004]
Dvd ~ Evanescence
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd been there, 10 Aug. 2008
This is Fallen preformed in paris live on DVD, with the CD in to boot.
The lighting is good, the atmosphere from the crown made me feel as though i was there and the quality of the sound is excellent.
it includes the first four videos that they did, and they are as good as I remember.
It includes a behind the scenes of evanescence, which i watched, but found boring after a while, but I can see that people would like to see it.
It includes missing, an excellent track that hadn't previously made it to album. I fail to see why, as it would have finnished Fallen off well.
It also includes the excellent Thoughtless and Farther Away.
As i wached it for the first time, i found myself wishing that i had been to paris (despite the french) to see this preformence.
Would i recomend it to any one? well, yes i would, and i have. I've even got people to listen to evenesce on the strength of this dvd.
Watch this DVD with the sound up and damn the neighbors.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Signature Series Guide (Bradygames Signature Guides)
by BradyGames

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a few problems, 8 Aug. 2008
This is a good walkthrough with plenty of good advice and help, but some of that advice is difficult to actually implement.
The biggest example that i can thank of is it recomends costly punch, a very powerful attack materia that doesn't use AP.
The problem is that after an excess of 70 hour play time and a 95% mission completion rate, i have not unlocked this materia, and according to the guide, i'm not quite there yet, as i need to complete 5 more (very hard) missions that, according to the guide i need costly punch for. (i find goblin punch works instead)

The up side is that the maps are accurate, as i have come to expect from brady games guides. The bestiary is good, as The game uses monsters that look the same, but aren't quite.

The secrets section is really very good, but is quite small. Still very useful if you are chasing the Genji equipment.

The materia fusion guide is not good to begin with, but once you get your head around the basics, it rapidly becomes extremly good.

Overall a useful guide, but the advice seems to take advantage of new game+ at times. Get it for the advice and hints to beat the monsters that are hard to kill.

The Carpet People
The Carpet People
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars First Book, 26 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Carpet People (Paperback)
This is the first book I ever read, so I always look back on this book with a certian ammount of nostalgia.
Nostalgia aside, I found that this is a very packed book for less than 200 pages.
I find it hard to disemminate the plot without at least one spoiler, so I'll let you read the book.
Snibril is the character to whom most of the action happens to, and his development is supurb.
and as for Pismere, when you find out why he was kicked out of the dumi empire, you will laugh out loud.
I feel that this is one of Pratchetts greatest achievments. It is worth a read to Pratchett fans in order to see him at his best, and to anyone else, just so that you can see a well writen book that is action packed, but still short enough to read in a matter of hours.

Neverwhere
Neverwhere
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Humour, 26 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
I saw this on the TV (when I were a lad) and I was impressed with it then.
That the book has remaind true to the TV series, and has added more is excellent.
The book contains a great deal of humour, almost in the same way as Pratchett, and is indeed likened to him at several stages.
As for the content of the book, I felt that I could believe I was in the floating market, so vivid is the picture drawn, the Marquis de'Carabas is a real git and feels real because of it.
anyone who has been to london should read it to see what your landmarks REALLY mean and those who havent should read it because it is a good book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3