Profile for illage2 > Reviews

Content by illage2

illage2 (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a fun game., 5 Dec 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not the biggest fan of stealth games, but Dishonored stands among the games I really enjoyed. It somehow captures your attention in the best way possible.

Combat and stealth mechanics are very well done in this game, no complicated movement to worry about, and the guards actually have a more realistic line of sight that are lacking in other games. One of the best parts about this game is that you can actually complete it without killing anyone even though your an assassin in this game, in fact the game encourages this style of behhaviour, but for those who don't care who they kill well the game will suit you just fine too.

There are some issues though.

first is the accents of characters .... given that this is victorian/Steampunk I expected the characters to have a British accent, it really subtracts from immersivness of the game world.

Second there are really poor textures, especially on the console version, and there's also some texture popin here and there.

Its a brilliantly done title and it deserves a place in your collection.

Microsoft LifeCam HD 5001 HD Web Cam USB 2.0 Black
Microsoft LifeCam HD 5001 HD Web Cam USB 2.0 Black
Offered by Trusted-Goods

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor video and Microphone quality, 27 Nov 2013
Its gotta be said that while the video quality is better than non-hd webcams, its at the lower end of the spectrum, the videos when uploaded to YouTube look aweful, for some reason I have to keep taking auto-focus off every time I want to record with the webcam. Its not that great its gotta be said, it can't even do a 60fps recording at 720p with exposure on.

And just to be clear, the computers I've used this webcam on can more than handle recording 720p video at 60fps. Its that bad its only 720p in resolution only, quality wise its rubbish for HD. Its basically just 480p upscaled to 720p.

The microphone quality is not bad, but its way too sensitive, it seems to think that someone who is being quiet is talking dead loud and because of this the sound crackles and it disgusting to listen too, because of this I have to use a different and better microphone to record my audio with.

My overall opinion is that yes its a cheap webcam, but its cheap for a reason. There are much better webcams out there with better video quality and a much better microphone.

Payday 2 (PS3)
Payday 2 (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good game but difficult on single player, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Payday 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I loved the original Pay Day and I was happy to see that the sequel was much better.

===Graphics===
Graphics are not this game's strong point. Some texture pop in and some animation issues. Lets say it won't beat Far Cry 3 any time soon. However the frame rate is pretty consistent at 60FPS, but sometimes it tends to dip. Its a common trade off, looks vs performance.

I think its good they choose performance over graphics as the game can get pretty frantic and the last thing we need is major dips in frame rate.

=============

===Gameplay===
Game play is your standard first person shooter and game play mechanics from the original Pay Day make a return. There's also a sort of AI director (like in Left 4 Dead) which can change up some of the levels which makes things feel fresh.

There are some robust RPG like elements and customization in the game so for example you can specialize in being a healer or enforcer and each class has their own perks and weapons etc. To purchase weapons and items you need to keep playing the game, which brings me to one of my concerns and that's the possibility of micro-transactions.

Getting into a game is easy to, just select a level from the map and join it. However there needs to be a better explination of how difficult each map is. I also found that some of the better levels to play were always full, so there needs to be more servers.

I did find that playing the game solo can be pretty brutal, when spotted the police will hammer you almost instantly. However Overkill have added more stealth options meaning that it is possible to complete a heist without getting spotted or having to engage cops in a firefight.

The cops however are really smart in this game, and will constantly try to flank you and they'll gas you or toss a few flash bangs which makes each level feel realistic and more enjoyable. However if your playing on solo you'll find that the AI team mates are STUPID they don't fire on the cops and all they do is revive you.

Its not just about heists though. There's a level where you have to walk into a mall and just pretty much destroy everything, or you have to stop the cops from taking bags of drugs off you. (These types of levels would be much improved using the Frostbite engine)

This is a game meant to be played online so its much better when playing with friends.
=================

====Overalll====
Overall this game is really enjoyable to play and despite its flaws it can be a lot of fun when playing with friends, just be prepared to face brutal but smart cops.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent for the price., 1 Aug 2013
I brought a Nexus 7 because I like to look at websites (NO NOT THAT KIND OF WEBSITE!!!) while I'm lying in bed, and the 7" screen and form factor are perfect for this. It is also perfect to take on the go with you, since its so small it fits in my bag perfectly so I take it to work with me everyday as I can use it to multitask pefectly.

Stock Android is brilliant, there's no crapware on there that you don't want which gives it an edge over other tablets like the Galaxy Tab 2.0, which also means more space for the apps you want. If you wanted Touchwhiz from Samsung's tablets then you can easily find a way to emulate it your self on the Nexus 7.

Battery life is also fairly good, I can leave it in my bag for days and it wouldn't drain the batteries too much, but when I use the device the battery does drain rather quickly, so make sure you manage those apps.

There is no SD card slot, nor anyway to expand the memory of the device, which might be a problem for those who download tons of apps. So if your like that then the 32GB version is a must buy for you. If all your doing is posting to social networks and browsing the web then the 8GB version will suit you just fine.

====UPDATE====
As Happy Kat pointed out you can use an OTG cable and a USB Drive/USB SDCARD reader to expand the storage of the device. Since this isn't included with the device I left it out of my original review.
If you need an OTG cable you can get one here Micro USB Host Mode On The Go OTG Cable for Nexus 7 / 10, Xoom, Galaxy S4 S2 S3, The HTC One, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9
==============

However it's not the best performing tablet, even with the 4.3 Android update I find that it slows down way too much when I try and use apps on the device. I've found the best way around this is to disable Google Currents and other apps your not using, the 4.3 update should make doing this redundant, but its always good practice.

Another problem is that the nexus 7 that I own now, is actually my 2nd one. The first one died, it would charge up but the device its self wouldn't turn on, which was a big issue with my first one. So its an issue you might want to watch out for.

Sure the Nexus 7 has its issues, but for the price, form factor and stock Android you can't complain.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 10:17 PM BST

Microsoft ZJA-00038 Optical Wireless Mouse Blue
Microsoft ZJA-00038 Optical Wireless Mouse Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected., 23 July 2013
I brought this mouse because I needed a small mouse to take with me to work that didn't have any wires so I chose to purchase the Arc Mouse. I did own another arc mouse prior to this one but that got broke after falling off the desk.

===Design===
The mouse feels good in my hands, and doesn't feel slippy at all considering it uses a glossy finish. Its small but big enough to be used as a replacement for a desktop mouse. Plus it folds up so you can take it anywhere with you. It even has a small little area where the USB receiver goes when you fold it away. Folding it up also switches off the mouse so your batteries are not being drained while not in use.

However its good design is also its weakness. I'm scared of dropping it off the desk, as with the previous arc mouse that I owned it broke it pretty easily, which for a mouse at this price is appalling.

===Battery Life===
The battery life on this mouse is amazing. I have not once had to get new batteries since the day I purchased it. It takes two AAA batteries. My one concern is that there is very little notification of when the batteries are getting low other than a very small red light which you can barley notice while your using the mouse.

===Installation===
Works on Windows Vista, 7 and 8 without a hitch. Just plug the USB receiver in and your good to go.

===Overall===
I recommend this to people who use a laptop on a regular basis as opposed to a desktop PC. Just be careful with it as it's easy to break.

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Xbox 360)
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good skateboarding game., 23 July 2013
This is probably my all time favorite Skateboarding game. Graphics are not the best but I just love the adrenaline rush you get from playing this game. No loading screens for a game this old is impressive, and its a shame that most other games don't follow suit.

There were a few nearly impossible tricks with some of the missions, but they can be overcome if you have the patience. Also they removed the custom soundtracks feature that was in the Original Xbox version, not a major complaint, but its a shame they don't have it on this.

Worth getting cheap, but you'll end up getting bored (see what I did there) quickly with the game.

This is my Zombie Killing T-Shirt (XXL)
This is my Zombie Killing T-Shirt (XXL)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a nice t-shirt, 23 July 2013
A good T-shirt, doesn't feel too heavy but the material feels strong so I don't expect it to get ripped any time soon and it fit me perfectly first time around. Highly recommended.

Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and easy to set up., 23 July 2013
This review is from: Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater (Accessory)
We recently got Fiber optic with Talk Talk, and the router they provided us with didn't have the range to extend to my bedroom, and since I use a lot of stuff on WiFi such as my tablet and Xbox, it was a pain to not have internet access up there.

All I had to do was press the WPS button on the router and then press the button on the repeater and in about 5 mins it was connected and ready to go, so I plugged it in upstairs and I now get full signal in there, where before I was lucky to get a signal.

The speed isn't perfect, as it takes ages to update apps on my Android devices, and on my Note 2, it keeps saying
"Authentication Error" which is annoying, but not a major issue.

This is great if you do not want to have to wire up your home with Ethernet cables.

WWE 13: Limited Mike Tyson Edition (Xbox 360)
WWE 13: Limited Mike Tyson Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by clickforgamesltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fun., 28 Mar 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Although this is a repeat of WW12, I have to say I had a lot of fun playing this game.

Its nice to go back to the attiude era and relive those epic matches that I wasn't allowed to watch (Although I did anyway).

Graphics wise its probably one of the better looking WWE games it has a nice consistent frame rate throughout the game and doesn't really look that bad, although some of the faces need some work.

Voice acting wise ..... good in some, but not in others. However you'll hardly notice. As a side note during the main campaigns whenever there is real time footage the audio seems to mess up whenever someone tries to say WWF (WWE) not sure why this is, but its irrtating.

Gameplay wise not much has changed since WWE12 and thats a good thing. I love the new features such as Create an Arena mode, something I haven't seen since WWF attiude on the PS1. I also like that they brought back Special Referee mode, shamefully you can't beat down people too much which I think ruins the fun.

The most fun I have with this game is Extreme Rules match. Love hitting my most hated wrestlers over the head with the steel chair, it makes for a fun and mindless bit of violence.

Honestly ..... GET .... THIS ....GAME!

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Nintendo Wii U)
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by Startup Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, lazy, rushed, cash grab., 28 Mar 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I was hoping that this game would be good, but I was wrong.

Graphics are poor, they look like 2006 Xbox 360 games, which isn't surprising considering that this game uses a poor variation of the CoD engine, the zombies however look pretty scary which is something I suppose. Character models are poor however.

Voice acting is actually the game's strong point unlike other licensed video games they actually got voice actors from the TV show which does add some authenticity to the game.

The game also has interesting ideas, like sending out survivors to gather resources and having to scavenge towns to look for supplies adds a little more realism to the game, but it doesn't really feel like something you have to do which is a shame really.

Honestly the game is not fun to play at all, I had to try very hard to keep playing for two hours it was that terrible. Worst game of 2013 so far.

My advice is to not bother with this title and instead download Telltale's "The Walking Dead" from the Xbox live Marketplace, PSN or Steam. Or if you want the good scavenging mechanics and openworld gameplay then I might suggest downloading the excellent Sate of Decay from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5