Profile for CyX > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Audioengine A2+W Powered Desktop Speakers (Pair) in Gloss White
Audioengine A2+W Powered Desktop Speakers (Pair) in Gloss White

4.0 out of 5 stars I expected more sound for the price, 17 April 2014
UPDATE: 13 June 2014

As my experience with the speakers was far worst than what most people claimed in other reviews I decided to return them and get a new set.

The replacement arrived a few days ago (after a long delay because they were out of stock) and they perform significantly better.

Had I received the properly performing speakers in the first place then I would have given them 5 stars. However I will raise my rating from 3 to just 4, since there seems to be some quality control issues, at least in my case.

-------------------------------------
ORIGINAL REVIEW 17 April 2014
-------------------------------------

I bought these speakers based on the very good reviews but I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

These speakers look really nice and solid, exactly what I would expect for £180. Their size is good for my desk, anything bigger and it would look a ridiculous, which is the reason I avoided buying some bigger, uglier speakers.

Unfortunately I don't feel I got my money's worth in terms of sound. I didn't expect them to be as good as my Hi-Fi system, but I expected them to sound better than my old Altec Lansing 2100 (2.1) and to blow out of the water the cheapo Logitech Z120 which I had been using as a temporary solution for the last few months. I remember my Altec Lansing system, which was less than half the price, sounding at least as good if not better than the A2s, and it was able to fill the room with music, while for the A2s you need to be very close to them in order to get good results.

And I had to do A/B testing to ensure that the A2s sound significantly better than the Logitech Z120!! Obviously the conclusion is that they do sound better, but the difference is not so great to justify the 15x price difference, especially when you consider the fact that the A2s are 4 times bigger and use a lot more watts than the USB driven Z120.

Pros:
- They look great
- Solid Build
- Flexible placement
- Good sound (but not good enough for the price)

Cons:
- Not a great value for money (unless looks is the most important factor)
- Volume knob at the back of the left speaker (It helps the looks of the speakers but it is not practical)

Conclusion:
These would be 5 star speakers for £80-90. If you don't mind paying twice as much for the good looks and you absolutely need to have a 2.0 instead of a 2.1 speaker system then go for it.

Otherwise, you would probably be better off with bigger speakers (which might look ugly and not fit nicely on your desk) or, the best alternative in my opinion, a good 2.1 speaker system for the same price or less, which would give better sound, would have smaller satellite speakers which would fit even nicer on a desk and could also offer a remote with volume control, headphone out etc.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2014 8:51 PM BST

Snopake HangGlider Suspension Files Polypropylene with Tabs Foolscap Assorted Ref 10279 [Pack of 25]
Offered by Office Products Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but expensive, 7 April 2014
I got this today. It seemed like an open box item, with the tape broken on the sides. Not a huge deal for such a product (the files were fine) but still I would expect better packaging for the price.

The files look much nicer than the regular paper ones, and the tabs fit nicely, but still I am not sure if the price can be justified (over 30)

3 stars for now due to the price. If they turn out to be as durable as they claim then I will change my rating to 4.

Here are the exact dimensions:

Rail width: 40.5cm
File width: 37.3cm
File total height (from the top of the rail): 24.5cm
*Your drawer depth (from the runners to the bottom) should be 23.7cm minimum to fit these
Distance between runners: 37.9cm - 39.4 (center is about 38.6cm)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 11:30 AM GMT

Sweex 10 inch Neoprene Sleeve - Black/Grey
Sweex 10 inch Neoprene Sleeve - Black/Grey
Offered by SC-Systems

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, 7 April 2014
I got this 2 years ago for my Motorola Xoom and now I can use it for my iPad Air (although it is a bit too big for the Air).

The quality is good, and it is reversible (black or gray) . No complains after using it for 2 years.

GET GPGPTFAN4TB 4-inch Glass 4-inch Turbo Panel extractor Fan with Timer - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, 7 April 2014
I bought this because of the looks and because of the brand. I searched extensively and most other fans of this type were really ugly and would ruin my bathroom design.

Unfortunately it only excels in the looks department. When it comes to performance as a fan it is average at best. Also, the reliability is questionable, as the first one I got stopped working within a month while its replacement was delivered with the front glass shuttered, so I had to wait for the replacement of the replacement. Thankfully Amazon were great as always, and now I have an amazing looking and OK performing fan in my bathroom.

Pampers New Baby Size 2 (Mini) Monthly Pack - 240 Nappies
Pampers New Baby Size 2 (Mini) Monthly Pack - 240 Nappies

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks, 7 April 2014
These nappies do not prevent leaks in the case of our baby as such leaks happen at least once a day... but then again the 1 other brand we tried wasn't any better.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars No noticeable improvement, 7 April 2014
Before buying this I had a Crucial M4 64GB as my Operating System drive but I needed higher capacity, so I got this one. I didn't run any benchmarks but the real world experience with this drive is not any better than the one I had with my M4. So if I were to buy again I would have probably gone with a "slower" SSD with higher capacity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 11:26 PM BST

Babyway Baby Carrier 3-in-1
Babyway Baby Carrier 3-in-1

3.0 out of 5 stars We don't use it much., 7 April 2014
We wanted this product so we could wear our baby in the house but we rarely do so because it is not very easy for one person alone to wear this thing and then put the baby in. It seems that it needs 2 adults to do this "initial setup" which is not very practical in our case.

That said the quality is good - especially for the price, and the baby seemed happy in it the few times we tried it.

Samrick S Wave Hydro Gel Protective Case for Apple iPad Air - Clear Transparent
Samrick S Wave Hydro Gel Protective Case for Apple iPad Air - Clear Transparent

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 7 April 2014
I just got this today, and here are my first impressions: It fits the iPad Air perfectly and tightly, buttons can still be pressed easily and the ports are correctly exposed. Only the speaker holes don't seem to perfectly match, but this doesn't seem to noticeably affect the sound.

The case has 2 textures: The fully transparent one which feels rubbery, and a "milky white" part which feels more like mate paper to the touch. I would have preferred if the whole case was made by the fully transparent material, as it sticks better to your hand.

Generally speaking I choose a Gel Case over any other type of case because:
1. It provides a nice grip without adding much thickness to the iPad. It is easier to hold, as opposed to a cover that would fold on the back, adding thickness and another layer of material that you would have to keep in place.
2. The Gel case protects the back from scratches, but can also protect the screen if the iPad is placed on a surface with the screen facing down since the edges of the case would prevent the screen of the iPad from touching the surface.

I also have a pouch for storing my iPad when not in use and for transporting it. I find that this combination (Gel case + pouch) better than any other kind of case.

The only disadvantage of Gel cases in general is that they might not provide as much protection as some other bulkier types of cases for when the iPad is dropped.

Britax Belted Infant Carrier Base
Britax Belted Infant Carrier Base

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Secure every time, 20 Nov. 2013
I bought one of these as my car doesn't have ISOFIX and a belted base was the only option.

I spend about 5 minutes to set the base securely in my car and now I can attach and detach the car seat in 5 seconds. Without a base I would probably need a few minutes each time to fix the car seat in the car and maybe I wouldn't always do it right, compromising the safety of my child.

Logitech Harmony Smart Control for iPhone/Android Mobile Phone
Logitech Harmony Smart Control for iPhone/Android Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my needs!, 20 Nov. 2013
I really like this remote as it meets almost all my needs: It can control all my equipment inside the cabinet (AVR, Apple TV, Set-top box) plus my TV and Projector using the IR extender. The "basic" remote is light, with a battery that runs "forever" without the need to recharge it and with all the functionality I need for my usual daily use. I only wish it had a few more activities and backlit buttons.

What is disappointing is the smartphone app. It lacks refinement and it is not really functional. The only useful thing about it is the 50 favorite channels - which unfortunately can be used with only one activity (this means I can't use the fav channels for both my "watch channels on TV" and "watch channels on Projector" activities). Personally I never use the smartphone app anyway, so I programmed the long press on the numbers of the "basic" remote to 10 favorite channels and this is good enough for my needs.

Logitech promotes this product as something that should primarily be used with a smartphone. If this is what you want you will probably be disappointed by the smarphone app. But if you are looking for a nice little remote that can also handle your hidden equipment then this is a product you should seriously consider.

Page: 1 | 2