Profile for Mr. P > Reviews

Content by Mr. P

Mr. P

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera (20.3MP, 4.2x Zoom)
Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera (20.3MP, 4.2x Zoom)

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good compromise, 18 Jun. 2015
This camera was purchased as a travel alternative to carrying my DSLR's. I was almost about to purchase the Panasonic GF7 with 12-32 and 45-150mm lenses but I wasn’t overly keen on having two lenses as then a suitable bag would be required. I also did not want a P&S camera with their typically small sensors. Neither did I want any of the larger CSC or interchangeable lens cameras as some of these models are quite large/heavy. I stumbled across the Canon G7X and it largely fulfils my requirements of having a pocketable camera with a decent sensor that also has a fast lens with a fairly good zoom range.

The camera feels heavy and solid and handles better than I expected. I was expecting it to be fiddly to handle/hold but after a few uses it is not so bad. It is pocketable if you wear the likes of cargo pants – you would probably struggle to pocket it in a pair of jeans.

I used the camera in a lowly lit function room at a dancing competition both for stills and video and was impressed with the capabilities of the camera with its low light capability without resorting to flash. In fact I ended up using it instead of my DSLR with 50mm 1.4 lens.

I like the ability of the control ring to adjust aperture or shutter speed, one of my complaints of the camera is the loud clicking sound as the control ring is rotated. I would prefer if it was silent, or had a softer clicking response. This was my main reason for it's 4 star rating.

Another weak area is the small battery and its low shooting capacity. I have ordered a third party battery for the camera, it is nearly a must have.

I also purchased a Lowepro Apex 20 AW Digital Camera Pouch – according to specs this pouch should hold the G7X but it is an extremely tight fit. I also suspect that the Apex 30 AW will not suffice either. There are not many camera cases on the market for the GFX – either they are designed for your typically smaller Point & Shoots or for the slightly larger CSC or interchangeable lens CSCs.

I reckon Canon are going the right way with this model, it won’t be everybodys cup of tea but for DSLR users who want something pocketable, with a somewhat decent size sensor you can’t go far wrong. Yes you could go with the likes of the M3, or even the G1X mkII but these cameras start getting bulky and heavy and to me are not “pocketable”.

Lowepro Apex 20 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black
Lowepro Apex 20 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for the Canon G7 X, 12 Jun. 2015
Stated that the internal dimensions are Internal: 7cm x 3.5cm x 11.2cm. I read the reviews, looked around and decided that my camera that is 10cm long would fit inside.

Wrong!

The 11.2cm includes the curved top of the bag. My camera that is 10cm (Canon G7 X) only fits after a struggle. Some squeezing and careful zipping will get the camera in, but I reckon that a few attempts will start leaving the camera scratched as the corners of the camera are hard up against the zip. Also it is such a struggle I just know that the fumbling will result in either the bag and/or camera being dropped.

The stated width of 7cm is barely room enough - hence for the Canon G7X the Lowepro Apex 30 Pouch (from stated dimensions) will also be a struggle on its internal width of 6cm. So I reckon the Lowepro Apex 60 Pouch will be required for the Canon G7-X.

I couldn’t find any compatibility charts on the Lowepro website to indicate the most appropriate size. It is not worth returning the camera case so another item to throw in the attic!

3 x atFoliX Canon PowerShot G7 X Screen Protector - FX-Clear crystal clear
3 x atFoliX Canon PowerShot G7 X Screen Protector - FX-Clear crystal clear
Offered by @FoliX GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply without any bubbling., 12 Jun. 2015
Really easy to apply and had it applied without any bubbling. One of the best that I have used so far.

The only downside is that the instructions were slightly inaccurate and took several readings to ensure that the correct side was peeled off first.

When it was applied I thought that it wasn't actually in place! Not a single bubble and only by carefully looking at the LCD could I tell that it was there. The instructions mentioned try using the bathroom after running hot water, given that 3 were in the pack, I just used the supplied cloth to wipe the LCD, peel off the first backing, apply the protector and peel off the outer layer. Done.

Maglite AA Pro Plus LED Presenation Box Flashlight - Black
Maglite AA Pro Plus LED Presenation Box Flashlight - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Really bright!, 12 Jun. 2015
Really bright! The LED versions are so much better than the old versions of these torches. They are so bright they would leave your eyes dazzled if the torch was pointed at you. The power save function is really good - namely because the torch output is bright enough to do the job without blinding you.

I thought they would have a switch to select the different outputs, instead for the lower output you just point the torch at the ground then switch it on. Well worth the money for a waterproof torch.

VicTsing 12Pcs Mixed Colour S Carabiner stainless Camp Spring Snap Clip Hook Keychain Keyring Camping Climbing Hiking
Offered by VICTECH

3.0 out of 5 stars Smaller in size than expected!, 12 Jun. 2015
Purchased these to use for attaching the 2 x AA version of maglite torch to your belt or rucksask. However they are quite small and I wouldn't trust them to do their job in an energetic environment such as hill walking if the torch was bouncing around.

However they are ideal for keys, usb memory sticks, or keeping bobbles toghether! Overall good value for the price.

2m Professional HDMI to Mini HDMI Cable - ULTRA HD (4K Resolution) - 1080p - Full HD - v1.4 - Audio & Video - Ideal for HD Camcorders - 24k Gold Plated - OFC
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 5 Jun. 2015
Does the job, no issues with the cable so far.

TTS Maglite Cree LED Bulb Upgrade Conversion for 3d 4d 5d or 6d or C Cell Torch. Uses brightest 3 watt LED
Offered by TheTorchSite

4.0 out of 5 stars Improves the brightness of the torch., 10 April 2015
Perfect fit, improves the brightness of the maglite torch. 4 stars, seems expensive for a bulb but probably worth it for the extended battery life.

TerraLUX MiniStar2 Extreme LED torch bulb upgrade, Mini Maglite AA TLE-5EX
TerraLUX MiniStar2 Extreme LED torch bulb upgrade, Mini Maglite AA TLE-5EX
Offered by Firefly Buys

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit., 3 April 2015
Easy to fit to maglite and much brighter than the original bulb. Worthwhile improvement for the brighter light emitted.

HyperX Impact 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L CL9 SODIMM 1.35V SODIMM Notebook Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality memory, 29 Mar. 2015
Installed and working on my new laptop. I have purchased the HyperX line several times for various new and upgrade projects and so far have no issues.

Canon imageFORMULA P-215II Portable Scanner
Canon imageFORMULA P-215II Portable Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars A great all-round document scanner, 29 Mar. 2015
A great document feed scanner. It is quite compact and well designed. I don't intend using it much on the go but makes a great addition to a flatbed scanner for all those loose A4 sheets of whatever you need to scan. It is very quick and the user interfaces are easy to configure for one touch scanning. I just have it connected via one USB cable, it seems to run fine without the additional power supply.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14