Profile for Dan > Reviews

HP CE658A P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer
Offered by Inkubus Bargains
Price: 80.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, buying another, 9 Jun 2014
Just bought a second one for home.

It's easy to set up (if you have problems, type the model in to YouTube for a simple video), the wireless infrastructure setup just works, AirPrint for iPad & iPhone just works, the drivers just install and work.

Once had a problem when I bought a cheap, fake toner. Advice: don't buy a cheap, fake toner.

A rare simplicity, I've had to faff around endlessly with printers in the past getting printer rage, but this one is just great.

FIFA 14 (PS3)
FIFA 14 (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance
Price: 25.63

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it so much, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm not the best FIFA player, or console player generally, so I don't mind losing to better players as I'm used to it.
FIFA 13 was frustrating at times, but I always accepted that was down to me. It was a good game.

FIFA 14 is the only thing in the world that absolutely infuriates me. A rage I did not know I had in me.

The result of the match you is totally randomised, decided by whose defenders & goalie do the craziest things.

A top-of-my-head list of bugs that will have you spitting every game:

1. Your goalie has a mental breakdown. Concede
2. Every tackle ends at opponent's feet, often magically clear through on goal. You can tackle one player 17 times and he still ends up through on goal. Concede
3. Defenders NEVER jump at corners. 7ft defenders vs 5ft 7 strikers lose, a lot. Concede
4. Switching player stops the defender running. Concede
5. Switching to the wrong player. So wrongly it's incredible. Concede
6. At random, when you are chasing a player pressing square to tug, instead, 3-4 metres away from the opponent he will attempt a little toe poke tackle, poking thin air with his foot. Otherwise you'd have caught up. Concede
7. Attempt through ball to left wing where 3 guys are clear on goal, clearly holding that direction on the controller - oh it's gone for the right wing where a lone guy is marked by 4 men instead.
8. Superhuman goalies for randomly picked matches. By superhuman I mean you will not score under any circumstances, 15 Banks quality saves in a row.
9. John Terry catching up with Aguero, Walcott, Ronaldo, or anyone for that matter. With full energy.
10. 'Normal' crosses, from a normal angle, with an able winger, with no pressure. Fly out for a throw in other side. So you have to double tap to near post every time
11. Bundle situation anywhere on the pitch? Crowded area? Your 5 players will lose out to the 1 opponent who is now clear through on goal
.......there are so many more, I could knock up 50 no problem at all but I have a day to get on with.

For the REALLY good players, these aren't a problem - they can get on and beat you anyway.
I am guessing that all the good 4-5 star reviews are from really good players who run rings around the average guys like me. I don't care about losing to them, they are pros and will always beat me fair and square.

The rage comes from the marginal games, two average-decent players battling it out online. The outcome is totally at random.

The better of the players can have 20 shots on target at close range vs the opponent's 2.
Depending on how many of the defending bugs mentioned above occur, he (or she) could win 7-0, or lose 0-1. It is pot luck. And it is so wildly random, it's not weighted to the guy having 20 shots on target's favour game after game.

THAT is the infuriating thing my friends.
You could argue that this reflects real life, you are wrong - glance at the (partial) list again.
And upsets / totally undeserved victories are freak occurrences, not the norm with 50-50 odds every time.

Everyone loves football, and I want to play a football game in the evening. This one drives me to drink, it would challenge even a Zen Buddhist's mental state. In fact if you are a football lover & practicing Buddhism, thinking you've 'made it', try this game and see how far you've really got.

It is terrible game playing, and bad for the average player's mental health. Stick to 13.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 5:26 PM GMT

Money: A Suicide Note
Money: A Suicide Note
Price: 3.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken Record, 15 Sep 2013
For me this was an extremely dull broken record. I only finished it because I have OCD.

"Got in a fight", "drank lots of alcohol", "had sex".
Repeat that primitive cycle approximately 15 times and at last it ends, leaving you with nothing interesting to contemplate.
"Is that it?" and "did I miss something?" were my only afterthoughts.

Greed and over-indulgence are described (again, and again, and again............... and again), yet nothing intelligent or profound ever comes of it.

A series-link on "Boozed Up Brits Abroad" probably provides similar content and stimulation.

However, this book is in an All Time 100 Novels List published by Time.
Perhaps descriptions of debauchery were fashionable or exciting at the time of publication.
Or perhaps through my desperate speed-reading in order to finish I missed the point entirely.

Interpet Water Filter - PF 3 - 800 Litres Per Hour/176 Gal/hr
Interpet Water Filter - PF 3 - 800 Litres Per Hour/176 Gal/hr
Price: 23.44

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty 4 times in a row - avoid, 24 Nov 2012
Last year I bought one of these from a pet shop for my 100l tank, it was faulty, I got a replacement.

This lasted 1 year, the motor burned out.

My replacement for that, ordered recently, one was faulty - dodgy motor making incredibly loud noises and the aeration button on the top didn't work.

I got a replacement for that, faulty motor and the aeration button on the top didn't work.

Amazon customer service is 5 star, they have been excellent.

Interpet filters are 0 star, perhaps just a faulty batch, perhaps always I don't know.
I have just ordered a filter from Fluval instead, far less risk.

Think Tank
Think Tank
Price: 6.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warmer, 30 April 2003
This review is from: Think Tank (Audio CD)
With this landmark album, Blur have gone for longevity rather than the catchy chorus associated with the band's earlier work. A more sophisticated version of '13', they seem to have gone the same route as Radiohead with their album Kid A, which takes a few listens but is absolutely superb and touches feelings in a way early Blur never could.
Out of time is the only 'popular' song on the album, with others being compositions as opposed to hits. Sweet song touches the heart, and i know that sounds corny but it's true. Good song actually makes you smile, and Caravan creates a sensation in the mind. Not many albums can touch emotions, but Think Tank succeeds.