Profile for I heart books and films > Reviews

Content by I heart books ...

I heart books and films (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Until Death
Until Death
by Ali Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Great twist, quality thriller, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Until Death (Hardcover)
This book is a treat - a ballsy, modern take on a marriage in crisis that I raced through in two sittings. Most tales of disintegrating domestic situations have a mistress in the mix, as this book does, BUT Knight pushes the drama to extreme and twisted lengths. And this mistress? She is BRILLIANT! The hard hearted American blonde trying to move in on the loaded husband is a character that will stay with me for a long time - the only problem with this book is I wanted to see her in every scene but she is tantalisingly glimpsed only occassionaly. She's so of our age, that you immediately disagree with her but then wonder if she's talking a lot of sense! It's a well plotted and well executed book that I would give five stars to, but because of Sylvie, the woman all wives hope they never encounter, I would have given it six stars if I could have.

Elite!: The Secret to Exceptional Leadership and Performance
Elite!: The Secret to Exceptional Leadership and Performance
by Floyd Woodrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and exciting to read, leadership experience and insights, 19 Nov. 2012
Whilst the SAS would not normally grab my interest I head heard it was a good book for entrepreneurs and so decided to try it.

I finished the book in a day, which is extraordinary as I rarely finish books in a day and I almost never finish business books cover to cover (skipping chapters / getting board etc).

It felt like I was in the room with Floyd Woodrow for a all day training session. I starting with some of Simon Acland's scepticism but won over and intrigued by Floyd's next insight and wanting to find out the end of the story of the SAS teams in the desert. I shared a little of Simon's 'so they just got lucky thoughts' about the desert team that performed best thinking 'what if' the other team had hit trouble early in their mission etc, but Floyds stare reached up from the page and let me realise that was the wrong conclusion to draw. :-)

Great insights and experience to draw from is a fast paced easy to read package.

History written by two of it's winners.

Childs Ski Gloves, Navy, Age 7/9
Childs Ski Gloves, Navy, Age 7/9
Offered by Kids-Biz Style-Biz

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gloves, good cost, 4 Aug. 2012
Dont pay more for gloves. Perfect for indoor skiing in a long wet spring & summer :-)

Size works well

Recommended for children

5M x 25mm Double face satin ribbon - Forest green
5M x 25mm Double face satin ribbon - Forest green

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift wrap, 4 Aug. 2012
Brown paper packages tied up with ribbons is one of MY favourite things

A better way to give a gift and lots of selection

Disgrace
Disgrace
by J M Coetzee

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I read this too late, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Disgrace (Paperback)
I had been meaning to read this for some years and finally got the time.

For me it was an ambitious piece tied to the current situation / history in South Africa. It follows the fortunes of a university lecturer who is obsessed by sex and has lost the ability to feel or love. His relationship and lust for a young student sees him loose his career and much more.

He does not regret or feel remorse and accepts his punishment. The story is original and twists and turns, but I couldn't connect as deeply with the characters ir meaning of the book.

As an English former ANC member maybe I read this too late to engage with the debate of 10 years ago or just didn't have sympathy for the plight of white South Africa.

A brave a well written book. I am interested to read more of his work.

The Sense of an Ending
The Sense of an Ending

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I read this year, 4 Aug. 2012
Simply amazing.

Barnes combines great plot and final twist with simplicity and deep meaning tied to reflection upon life and how history is recorded.

I generally prefer commercial fiction and can find literary work hard going. This was accessible, thought provoking and has me already wanting to read it for a second time.

More genre fiction should address big ideas as Barnes does. Highly recommended

Payback Time
Payback Time
by Geraint Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Love thrillers. Love fast paced humour. One for you, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Payback Time (Paperback)
Better writing style than Cityboy, lots of humour but keeps tension up, at last a book about people taking revenge on the bankers ... but more complex than that. Loads of twists.

I read this in a weekend. Unique style and insights that make me laugh, think, and pray...

I laughed out loud several times reading this. Well done.

The First Cut
The First Cut
by Ali Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Cut is a First Rate Thriller, great heroine, great twists, 4 July 2012
This review is from: The First Cut (Hardcover)
Amazon recommended this book to me by email and delivered a few days ago. I enjoyed her debut first immensely, but this second book is more confident and mature in style and the plotting is first rate. I really, really enjoyed this.

From the opening chapter right to the end, Ali Knight, drives the plot and always keeps you guessing. I thought I'd worked out what was coming next a few times, and then began to realise that this book is much cleverer than that with genuine twists and turns. The opening scene finds the main character Nicky swimming in a lake at night, which she loves, and then something dramatic happens. Won't put in a spoiler as to what, but the surprise of that sets the tone for all the other surprises to come.

I really liked the main character - she writes obituaries on newspapers and her marriage has got entangled in some choppy waters because of the aforementioned lake scene. Enter a handsome, carefree man she meets on a plane and who puts her on a path to test her marriage. Things then start to go really awry. There's a lot of plot to go through but the pace ramps up all the time and there are several nice set scenes, including one at the Notting Hill Carnival. But along with the pace it gets really creepy and twisted at times!

The final twist is a genuine surprise that kept me awake thinking about it for ages... I cannot wait for the next one!

101 Uses for a Useless Banker
101 Uses for a Useless Banker
by Alex Steuart Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not at good as the original 100 dead cats, 25 Jan. 2012
I picked up this book for a bit of fun at Christmas. The timing was good with the credit crunch and feeling against the city. Whilst some were amusing over all I felt it could have had more bite.

I would look at further work from the author if the topic seems interesting / fun.

Venture Capitalists at Work: How Vcs Identify and Build Billion-Dollar Successes
by Tarang Shah

5.0 out of 5 stars A great blend of war stories and insight from great VCs, 25 Jan. 2012
I was recommened this book by a friend as a great guide to the way that US Venture investors think.

The book follows interviews with the venture capitalists behind great successes like Twitter and YouTube. The clear focus on winning big above all else is inspiring to read about.

I have enjoyed this format and will look at other books in the 'at work series'

Page: 1 | 2