Profile for Pilar > Reviews

Content by Pilar

Pilar "Pilar" (Zaragoza, Spain)

Adultery
Adultery
by Paulo Coelho

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you must lose yourself to discover who you are.., 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Adultery (Hardcover)
What else can I say, when everything is said in this book? The way that we deal with the necessity to make everything perfect, under control, clean, correct? This book deals with one of my inner feelings: apathy. I haven’t yet reached that stage. I’m still at the
complaining one, but I imagine that soon— in a matter of months, days, or hours— a complete lack of interest will set in that will be very hard to dispel.

The world has stopped.
Not just my world, but the world of everyone around me. When we meet with friends, we always talk about the same things and the same people. The conversations seem new, but it’s all just a waste of time and energy. We’re trying to prove that life is still interesting. Everyone is trying to control their own unhappiness.

Thank you for the bottom of my heart, Paulo, for writing such a book. It will be helpful to many people who are right now making the wrong choices. And thank you for being so discreet about the sex scenes - this is not another version of 50 Shades, but a book that must be taken very seriously whenever we thing about our marriage. I am 10 yr older than Linda, but I understand her very well
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2014 5:09 PM BST

Aleph
Aleph

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is made of magic, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Aleph (Hardcover)
Like Coelho's previous books, "Aleph" reads poetically. Those who are used to reading Coelho will enjoy "Aleph" as much as "The Zahir" or "The Alchemist".
I stumbled upon Aleph last thursday, 24 hours after having discovered the baby who was growing within me had ceased to live nearly one month before, while I was looking for "a few" books to help me run away from what I was living.
Of course I knew that Aleph wasn't likely to offer me an escape in the world of fantasy, but I somehow felty it would have offered other, something I needed though feared.
This book is made of magic, of hands that know to write the tale of a heart that is on a journey to find itself.
Of a heart that knows how to lead the feet to where it once walked and where it must go.
To understand life for even just a fraction of a second, and find joy in that, and forget, and remember to be one with the truth again.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 4:41 PM GMT

The Winner Stands Alone
The Winner Stands Alone

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 23 Mar. 2009
I read the whole book in 5 hours. It is totally different from the previous novels by Coelho, nevertheless it is a masterpiece: it talks about values lost and never found again. It looks like a thriller, but it is not - the characters are trapped and manipulated by the people Coelho calls "The Superclass". Once more Coelho made it. It will not be easy for his traditional readers: either they are going to love or to hate. I LOVED.
And I also believe Coelho is one of the few writers that are always exploring unknown seas, instead of repeating the same plot over and over again. Kudos to him.

The Zahir: A Novel of Love, Longing and Obsession
The Zahir: A Novel of Love, Longing and Obsession

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Coelho, 3 Sept. 2005
It is not easy when we have to look our own lives.
It is not easy when we have to forget our personal stories.
It is not easy when a simple book can provoke this.
Therefore, although I understand that it is not easy, we should not stop.
Thank you Coelho, for this wonder.