Profile for G. Brooks > Reviews

Content by G. Brooks

G. Brooks "brooksy" (a Brit abroad)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Martian
The Martian
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, boys own style, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Stanley is no tool! I have been searching for a sci-fi book that ranks with The Forever War and War of the Worlds. I hate to admit, this is it. Although the writing style and behaviour of the main character stretches the bounds of credibility regarding NASA recruitment, apart from that it's excellent. A real page turner mostly backed up by sound, imaginative science and a knowledge of inter planetary travel. It would make a great movie too. A sort of Apollo 13 meets Robinson Crusoe with a bit of Armageddon thrown in. Recommended.

Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Dark Gravity
Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Dark Gravity
Price: 2.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Only 30% relates to title?, 4 Mar 2014
Not much is known about DE, DM, DG so I suppose the fact that the first half of the book is padded out with general astronomy and science is to be expected. I'd rather the author assumed a working knowledge of such and expanding on the sections related to the title.

Murder One: Season 2 [DVD] [1996]
Murder One: Season 2 [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Anthony LaPaglia
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 15.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on season one, 4 Mar 2014
I bought this as I'd watched season one, week by week as an avid fan. This is poor in comparison to that but acceptable by modern TV standards of similar legal fair. If you haven't seen season one just watch that and forget season two entirely.

The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller
The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller
Price: 1.82

2.0 out of 5 stars A padded out short story?, 4 Mar 2014
I am not an author so who am I to criticise I suppose. However the author does ask, nay pleads for positive reviews, so I thought I would give it a go.

The free sample is engaging and therefore I purchased the book. After that first section it becomes not a thriller but a bore with very sparse moments of tension. There are endless descriptions, in minute detail, about who drank what, how I cooked a pizza what my favourite this or that is that were never relevant, or very rarely to do with character description or plot.

The plot is very thin. I am at a loss to imagine why an inter-stellar or inter dimensional race should develop a moving probe that is indestructible and of other worldly construction should only be able to move at walking pace in straight lines? SPOILER ALERT That such a race should be outwitted by a chap in a jeep endlessly driving in circles, or squares? There was little expansion or explanation of the science (hence science fiction) of The Stone Man it's method of travel, construction, communication attempts. At first this was engaging, a mystery, but as the novel dragged on it became tiresome.

The author also agonises about the feelings of male characters at such lengths that I found it amusing at times. Will I be reading any more books by the author, no. Will I recommend the author or book to a friend, definitely not.

To sum up a short story of perhaps 50 justifiable pages padded out into a novel. The reason I finished it? I was hoping for a grand finale and explanation and 'first contact'. None were forthcoming. Poor really.

Galactic Exploration
Galactic Exploration
Price: 1.79

2.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 22 Dec 2013
The sample was, although rather philosophical and metaphysical at times, quite promising. The following stories were guilty of being "padded out" with superfluous writing and on one occasion plagiarist self repetition. I have read other Cawdron works this is not his finest hour. A pity

Long Eyes and Other Stories
Long Eyes and Other Stories
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute drivel apart from story 1, 22 Dec 2013
I purchased this book on the strength of the reviews (limited in number) and the first story which was a sample read. I was I'm afraid duped by the first story and the reviews (which were positive, they must have read a different book). I read about 7 stories and gave up. They were, without exception, poorly written and quite frankly boring. To make things worse the author, a legend in his own lunchtime, explains after each story why he wrote it. On one occasion the explanation is longer than the story!

All stories lack clearly defined plots, structure and character definition. They are at about a C standard at A level, avoid like the plague.

BASKERVILLE MUZZLE size 7
BASKERVILLE MUZZLE size 7
Price: 6.89

4.0 out of 5 stars works well ... If, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: BASKERVILLE MUZZLE size 7 (Misc.)
My dog seems to have a small head and can shake out of this muzzle easily. I attached it to a chest harness and although this makes him look like Hannibal Lecther the combination works well.

I found one doggie treat in the muzzle was all it took to get him used to it. He now equates muzzle with freedom so doesn't mind wearing it in the cool mornings and evenings.

I gave it 4 stars because it is durable (only one slight crack in plastic so far [after dog fight]) and easily cleaned. The plastic catch and nylon strap are still in good condition.

Now 4 months later the muzzle is broken completely BUT this is due to my dog getting in various scrapes and fights. These muzzles are much better than the canvas ones available locally and I have ordered and received two more. For a "normal dog" they are perfect and washable too, recommended.

Call of The Wild, White Fang
Call of The Wild, White Fang
Price: 1.89

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're a dog lover - a must, 18 Nov 2013
If you like dogs or own a dog this will tug at the 'ol heart strings and keep you gripped. Along with "My Dog Tulip" the best book about dogs I have read. A cheap treat no doubt.

Marsbound
Marsbound
Price: 2.49

3.0 out of 5 stars forgettable?, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Marsbound (Kindle Edition)
Having read "The Forever War" by the same author, parts of which I still recall after many years. This was a disappointment but no worse than a lot of current sci-fi fodder being churned out. A decent read but no classic.

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sci-fi novel of all time, 18 Nov 2013
I must admit I rate this in my top ten of sci-fi novels and close to my number 1 "The forever War". I look through Kindle to find any decent sci-fi but with either samples or purchased novels am, usually, sorely disappointed.

I have read WOTW three times, over the years, and it still stands the test of time. If you've never read it and like classic sci-fi you're in for a very cheap treat!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9