Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Jonathan Cornell > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Cornell

Jonathan Cornell (Guildford)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
6 x Brita Maxtra Water Filter Cartridge Compatible Jug Pitcher Filter Aqualogis Ultra

1.0 out of 5 stars If the cartridges worked as they should I would be less disappointed, however as other reviewers have noted small pellets ..., 27 Jun. 2016
Sadly i bought this by accident. When i was trying to purchase genuine Brita cartridges, there was a drop down box where you could choose boxes of different quantities and this appeared as the option for 6 cartridges. Obviously i should checked before buying but I am cross as when you are trying to purchase genuine items these should not be mixed with "compatible" versions. They are the same price per unit as the genuine ones (roughly £2.50).

If the cartridges worked as they should I would be less disappointed, however as other reviewers have noted small pellets escape from the cartridge and float around above the filter.

CSL - Displayport to HDMI adaptor full HD 1080p incl. audio transmission | DP plug to HDMI socket | Ideal for Apple products / PC graphic cards | Full HD (1080p)
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly connecting work laptop (without HDMI output) to home monitor, 25 Jan. 2016
I bought this as we have 2 monitors at home, one with a VGA cable and the other with HDMI input. Sadly my work laptop didn't have an HDMI port, it did have this strange port which i now know to be a "displayport".

The adaptor plugs neatly into the laptop and then the HDMI cable plugs into the adaptor. Worked perfectly first time, no fuss, no driver installing etc.. Easy peasy,

LEGO 10506 Train Accessory Set
LEGO 10506 Train Accessory Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value way of adding more Duplo train track. Also comes with 2 points and a level crossing, 25 Jan. 2016
We bought the kids the deluxe Duplo train set for Christmas and I bought one of these accessory sets to give them more track to play with, Since Christmas they have played with the train set each day but kept running out of track for their track creations.

I spent some time reviewing what was the best way of adding additional track. There are some offers of straight tracks or bends sold as a multipack on amazon but these seemed very expensive so I ended up buying 2 more accessory packs as this was the cheapest way. You get 8 sections of bends and 5 sections of straight track, 2 points and a level crossing. This makes the set great value.

My only observation (and this is for Lego in general rather than about this set) is that it would be nice to have some additional stand alone items, eg trains, bridges etc

LEGO Duplo 10508 Deluxe Train Set
LEGO Duplo 10508 Deluxe Train Set
Offered by Fonq stores

5.0 out of 5 stars My sons absolutely love this and play with it every day, 21 Jan. 2016
My kids love trains and we have miles of wooden track with buildings etc

We bought this for Christmas for our 4 year old. His older brother has the "normal" lego passenger train and they both seemed to enjoy that last Christmas.

I was slightly worried that the new duplo set would be ignored, however they have played with it every day and seem to love it. The other lego lives upstairs in their rooms but the duplo train set now lives in the sitting room to give easy access.

Whilst the deluxe set isn't cheap there is a lot in it. There is enough track to make decent circuits and an excellent bridge. Though I did buy one of the Accessory Sets Lego 10506 Duplo - Train Accessory Set when i bought this set and I have just bought two more to give the boys the ability to build bigger tracks.

The engine itself is very study and seems to cope with being dropped bashed etc. With wooden railways one of the problems is that the engines never seem to be powerful enough to climb up slopes so using bridges was always problematic. This lego set has grooves in the rails and then teeth on the train wheels so it actually grips. This means it whizzs up bridges and slopes with no problem at all. The engine makes noises as it goes round and also when you put a hose in to "fill it up with water".

The set takes 3 AA batteries and i have been pleasantly surprised by how long these work. I think this is because the engine seems to switch itself off after a certain period. Whilst this could have been annoying it just means pressing the big button on the engine and it will restart. It also means that you don't find that the engine has been going round the track whilst the children have been ignoring it for 3 hours.

The other bits in the box are great. The boys love the crane and the other trucks.

My only gripe isn't really with this set, it's that you can't seem to buy additional bits for it (beyond the accessory kit). To buy another train I think you have to buy the my first railway set LEGO Duplo 10507 My First Train Setso you can't buy standalone trains and you also can't seem to buy bridges etc.

Multi-Sharp® 1401 Shear & Scissor Sharpener
Multi-Sharp® 1401 Shear & Scissor Sharpener

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor sharp shears and secateurs, 12 Nov. 2015
Some of the reviews for this were mixed with some people loving it and some hating it.

The sharpener has worked perfectly for me. I don't have a shed so i have screwed it to a fence post. My shears and secateurs are now razor sharp. Sharpening them was a simple and quick process.

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)
Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Bethesda game ever. If you liked other games you will love this., 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Fallout 4 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
I will start with a disclaimer. I had loved all the Bethesda games since Oblivion so I have played Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim so I knew what I was getting by buying this game. I have been watching the trailers etc on youtube for some time. So I was expecting to love this game and am thoroughly doing so (despite only being a few hours into it). Unlike a lot of current gamers I don't really like online multiplayer, I prefer to go off and do my own thing, exploring, farming etc. So this game is perfect for me. I am in charge of my own progression through levels and I am not forced to get shot to death by 14 year olds who play the game 24-7. This game was the reason why I bought my new Xbox one.

The game has all the things I loved (from previous games), a vast map, a decent main mission, a huge number of side missions, masses of characters in the game to interact with. It also has new things to learn and to keep me busy such as crafting mods for weapons, armour etc and one thing which I am really enjoying which is settlement building. I have to say I am still getting to grips with collecting junk. My previous modus operandi on previous fallout games was to hoover up everything i could find and then drop "junk" as I found more valuable items but now all "junk" can be scrapped for its base components those days are over.

I have not got to some of the more amazing and exotic armour type or weapons or even the later missions or map areas but even based on my limited play so far, this game is amazing. I find myself looking forward to squeezing in an hour or so of game play each night before I drag myself to bed.

Destiny Limited Edition Strategy Guide (Act Activision)
Destiny Limited Edition Strategy Guide (Act Activision)
by BradyGames

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other strategy guides I have had for other games, doesn't even have an index., 29 Oct. 2015
I recently treated myself to a new XBox One and whilst waiting for Fallout 4 to be launched, I decided to buy Destiny. In the past I have bought strategy book for the games I have bought, eg Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim. I have found these to be very detailed listing the different characters, missions, side missions, items weapons etc. I thought this Destiny book would be similar. I bought the Legendary version and I was fully away that none of the DLC "stuff" would be in the book as the DLC packs had not been issued when it was written.

Whilst it does have a lot of information, I haven't really found the information to be amazingly useful for game play. The descriptions of missions and side missions are incredibly brief, almost to the extent of just listing them. I realise that not everyone wants a through which tells you everything to do but to me that's what a Strategy Guide should do. In my view this book does a poor job of this.

As the contents suggest the book does have "art" but the reason why i bought a hardback was because after months of being picked up, thumbed through and then put down paperback covers tend to rip.

When i get stuck (either on a mission or trying to work out how to start a mission) it's a lot quickly just to use google and then you will find a youtube clip or a wikiguide which explains what you have to do.

Probably the greatest failing is that it does not even have an index. The contents page itself is very short and is of little help.

The North Face Men's Apex + Etip Glove - Black tnf black Size:X-Large
The North Face Men's Apex + Etip Glove - Black tnf black Size:X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm and comfortable gloves which work perfectly with an ipad and iphone., 11 Mar. 2015
I bought these before Christmas. I used to spend ages waiting on a platform trying to read an ipad. I was given a pair of e-gloves a couple of years before but they didn't seem to keep my hands warm and the "layer" on the tips of the gloves had worn off meaning that using a touchscreen was almost impossible.

I have had a northface coat for 12 years and it is as good as new and a north face rucksack which has survived 8 years of daily commute on trains and tubes and still looks immaculate so I thought I would try north face gloves.

I now don't spend quite so long waiting but the gloves seem to work perfectly with the ipad. The material used to work with the touch screen seems to be embedded on the finger tips so hopefully it will last longer. The gloves are extremely warm and comfortable.

LEGO City 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train
LEGO City 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for true Lego enthusiasts but serious problems with the battery box, 27 Jan. 2015
I thought long and hard about how many stars to give this and settled on 5. However that's probably because I am a lego lover. Someone who is less of a fan may end up giving it a lower score.

I bought it for my sons Christmas present. It probably took about two hours of assembly (mostly) me. If I had left him to it, it would have taken him a lot longer.

The train is amazingly fast, in fact it is so fast that if you run it at full speed it normally just crashes. I am not sure how long the track is but I bought 2 boxes of Lego 7499 (extra track) and one box of Lego 7895 (as I write (27th January 2015), all of these were substantially cheaper when i bought them (pre Christmas) than they are now). I think if i had not bought additional track then it would not have been as much fun. Even with the additional track I bought there doesn't seem to be enough track to use the points in a meaningful way. I think i will buy some more track when the price goes back down to a sensible level.

I have read some of the previous reviews regarding batteries. I have been using rechargeable batteries and had one instance (after i charged them the second time) where nothing seemed to work. However I recharged the batteries again and it seemed to be ok.

Update 18th Feb. I have dropped the review down to 3 stars. Every time I have had to replace the batteries with i have had problems with rechargeables I have had problems and spent 10-15 minutes putting the batteries in and out until they work. I contacted Lego via the web site and asked for a new battery box. I had an email back with troubleshooting options (none of which were really relevant to my problem) and I was asked to call Lego on a freephone number. I spoke to a friendly Lego person who told me that rechargeable batteries don't work with the set. I queried why I have at least 20 other items in my house which use rechargeable batteries perfectly happily so what was different about this set.... She said they would send me a new box but almost 2 weeks later I have not had anything. I spotted this on the lego web site which seems a bizarre explanation but I am not technical enough to know whether its true or no. http://service.lego.com/en-gb/helptopics/products/themes/power-functions/battery-box-issues
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2015 3:27 PM GMT

uPVC Door Handles Set Lever/Lever White 92pz - 122mm Screw to Screw
uPVC Door Handles Set Lever/Lever White 92pz - 122mm Screw to Screw
Offered by Home Secure

3.0 out of 5 stars Despite checking all the measurements screws and bar didn't fit, 25 Jan. 2015
Looking at previous reviews there are all five stars with a solitary four star so why am I only give it a three star review?

The product is exactly as described and I meticulously checked all the measurements. However the width range of the doors it fits isn't given and to me this is a major oversight.

It took me two mins to take off my old handles and a further fifteen minutes to realise that some of the parts did not fit. There are two long square "bars" of different lengths which are supplied and the short one meant that if it slipped towards one side then that handle would not engage. The long one was too long and meant the handles did not fit flush and would have rattled when i screwed it in place. In the end I had to hacksaw off about 5mm off the long one.

The other problem was that the shorter screws were too short and the longer ones were too long. I was about to hacksaw off some off the longer screws when I thought I wouldn't try my old screws which fortunately fitted perfectly.

I could understand if I had imported my door or it was hand made for me but it was fitted as standard by a very large house builder and our house is only ten years old.

It does seem surprising that I am the only one who has experienced this so far but I thought it was worth mentioning in a review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6