Profile for Jonathan Cornell > Reviews

Jonathan Cornell (Guildford)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The North Face Men's Apex + Etip Glove - Black tnf black Size:X-Large
The North Face Men's Apex + Etip Glove - Black tnf black Size:X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm and comfortable gloves which work perfectly with an ipad and iphone., 11 Mar. 2015
I bought these before Christmas. I used to spend ages waiting on a platform trying to read an ipad. I was given a pair of e-gloves a couple of years before but they didn't seem to keep my hands warm and the "layer" on the tips of the gloves had worn off meaning that using a touchscreen was almost impossible.

I have had a northface coat for 12 years and it is as good as new and a north face rucksack which has survived 8 years of daily commute on trains and tubes and still looks immaculate so I thought I would try north face gloves.

I now don't spend quite so long waiting but the gloves seem to work perfectly with the ipad. The material used to work with the touch screen seems to be embedded on the finger tips so hopefully it will last longer. The gloves are extremely warm and comfortable.

LEGO City 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train
LEGO City 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for true Lego enthusiasts but serious problems with the battery box, 27 Jan. 2015
I thought long and hard about how many stars to give this and settled on 5. However that's probably because I am a lego lover. Someone who is less of a fan may end up giving it a lower score.

I bought it for my sons Christmas present. It probably took about two hours of assembly (mostly) me. If I had left him to it, it would have taken him a lot longer.

The train is amazingly fast, in fact it is so fast that if you run it at full speed it normally just crashes. I am not sure how long the track is but I bought 2 boxes of Lego 7499 (extra track) and one box of Lego 7895 (as I write (27th January 2015), all of these were substantially cheaper when i bought them (pre Christmas) than they are now). I think if i had not bought additional track then it would not have been as much fun. Even with the additional track I bought there doesn't seem to be enough track to use the points in a meaningful way. I think i will buy some more track when the price goes back down to a sensible level.

I have read some of the previous reviews regarding batteries. I have been using rechargeable batteries and had one instance (after i charged them the second time) where nothing seemed to work. However I recharged the batteries again and it seemed to be ok.

Update 18th Feb. I have dropped the review down to 3 stars. Every time I have had to replace the batteries with i have had problems with rechargeables I have had problems and spent 10-15 minutes putting the batteries in and out until they work. I contacted Lego via the web site and asked for a new battery box. I had an email back with troubleshooting options (none of which were really relevant to my problem) and I was asked to call Lego on a freephone number. I spoke to a friendly Lego person who told me that rechargeable batteries don't work with the set. I queried why I have at least 20 other items in my house which use rechargeable batteries perfectly happily so what was different about this set.... She said they would send me a new box but almost 2 weeks later I have not had anything. I spotted this on the lego web site which seems a bizarre explanation but I am not technical enough to know whether its true or no. http://service.lego.com/en-gb/helptopics/products/themes/power-functions/battery-box-issues

uPVC Door Handles Set Lever/Lever White 92pz - 122mm Screw to Screw
uPVC Door Handles Set Lever/Lever White 92pz - 122mm Screw to Screw
Offered by Home Secure

3.0 out of 5 stars Despite checking all the measurements screws and bar didn't fit, 25 Jan. 2015
Looking at previous reviews there are all five stars with a solitary four star so why am I only give it a three star review?

The product is exactly as described and I meticulously checked all the measurements. However the width range of the doors it fits isn't given and to me this is a major oversight.

It took me two mins to take off my old handles and a further fifteen minutes to realise that some of the parts did not fit. There are two long square "bars" of different lengths which are supplied and the short one meant that if it slipped towards one side then that handle would not engage. The long one was too long and meant the handles did not fit flush and would have rattled when i screwed it in place. In the end I had to hacksaw off about 5mm off the long one.

The other problem was that the shorter screws were too short and the longer ones were too long. I was about to hacksaw off some off the longer screws when I thought I wouldn't try my old screws which fortunately fitted perfectly.

I could understand if I had imported my door or it was hand made for me but it was fitted as standard by a very large house builder and our house is only ten years old.

It does seem surprising that I am the only one who has experienced this so far but I thought it was worth mentioning in a review.

BRIO 33592 Mighty Red Action Locomotive (2013 model)
BRIO 33592 Mighty Red Action Locomotive (2013 model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic engine., 27 Dec. 2014
My son has had a few Thomas branded engines. They seem to start off well then break shortly afterwards.

This Brio one has more features (ie sound, lights and can go backwards). It is also capable of going up bridges and slopes. I have not managed to get it to go over bridges towing carriages which some of the other reviewers suggest is possible. For the record none of the Thomas branded ones ever made it over a bridge (with or without carriages). It can pull a number of carriages on flat tracks without slowing down.

It does seem rather slowly but this steady pace means it seems to deal better with curves and bends and gaps between rails. It rarely gets stuck or shoots off the track.

Rubber Plastic Bath Shower Screen Seal Strip For 4-6mm Glass Door Curved Straight 16-23mm Gap
Offered by HNNHOME

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit and easily fitted., 27 Dec. 2014
Spent a while looking at these strips online both through Amazon and on some direct web sites. Was slightly nervous that they wouldn't fit (despite spending ages measuring).

They arrived very quickly. Well within the promised time.

They slipped onto the base of the shower door with a bit of force but no hot water or specialist tools. It was slightly fiddly to get them to curve round but in total the first door took about 10 mins. The second one took less than 5.

They fit perfectly.

Great product and speedy delivery

OWL micro+ Wireless Electricity Monitor - NEW GENERATION!
OWL micro+ Wireless Electricity Monitor - NEW GENERATION!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gadget for keeping track of electricity usage., 10 Dec. 2014
I bought this as i had no idea how much much electricity any of our appliances used. The set up was very simple. The sensor clipped round a cable that led out of my electricity meter. The display paired up with the sensor and putting in the cost of electricity took a minute or so. There was nothing that any technophobe would worry about.

Since I have bought it i have realised how much my spotlights cost to use. I will be switching them for LED bulbs shortly. You can work out how much it costs to run the dishwasher, underfloor heating, fan heaters, tumble drier etc. It is easy to see your cumulative costs.

I have not checked the cumulative usage vs the meter reading but I'm confident they will match up.

Oh No, George!
Oh No, George!
by Chris Haughton

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Paperback)
This is such a great book. My three old son absolutely loves it. The pictures are such vivid colours. The story is a simple one about a dog who is left alone by his owner. The dog wants to be good but temptation proves too much.

Ring Automotive RAC630 Automatic Digital Compressor 12 V with LED Light
Ring Automotive RAC630 Automatic Digital Compressor 12 V with LED Light

2.0 out of 5 stars Great whilst the display worked., 7 May 2014
I bought this a couple of years ago based on the reviews. I used it 3-4 times since then inflating car tyres and paddling pools. When it worked it was great. Easy and simple to use, quick and efficient.

When I recently took it out of its protective holder (where it has always been stored on a shelf in the garage), something had happened to the LCD display. You could barely read any of the numbers. Since then you cannot read any numbers at all so the unit is now useless.

I was not expecting this to last for 20 years but in my mind it should last more than 2 if it has only been used infrequently and stored careful.

Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red
Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic budget watch, 31 Jan. 2014
I spent ages and ages trawling through reviews for GPS watches on Amazon and other sites (have a look at DC Rainmaker for the most amazing GPS/Sports watch review site possible).

The FR10 seemed to have mxied reviews, some loved it some hated it.

I fall into the first category. It does everything i want. Whilst it doesn't have a heart rate monitor, i found i ignored my heart rate on my old Polar watch. The FR10 was very simpe to set up. Once i connected it online via the connector to my PC it did a few firmware updates.

I have to say i think the instructions could have been a bit longer but any questions i had were soon answered after a quick google search.

It seems to take 15 seconds to a minute to find a decent satellite connection outside my front door. I did try the "leave it on the window sill searching" tip whilst i was putting on my shoes but i think it disconnects if your run doesn't start within a minute or so.

It is very easy to use when you are running, the buttons are nice and big (helpful when you are running in gloves in the winter). the backlight is excellent.

I have set it to beep every mile, so thats useful on longer runs. Battery life seems ok. I think it is supposed to be good for 5 hours. My longest run so far has been 3 hours and it showed as half the battery gone.

The web site is great and shows you all your stats etc.

one slight criticism is that it is not very good for runners with big wrists. I can only just fit it onto my wrist. If i had i bought it last year when i was a couple of stone more it would not have been fitted.

All in all i think this is amazing value for money if you want something simple.

3 month update.

I have been running with this watch for 3 months now and can honestly say that it is fantastic. I ran my first marathon with it yesterday and was worried that it would die after 5 hours (as that's how long the battery life is).It managed to carry on beyond 5 hours with just a message warning of low battery. Even after i finished running, it happily carried on in watch mode.
Some people complain about taking a long time for the watch to find a signal, the length of time varies between about 10 seconds and a couple of minutes, the average is about a minute.
I love the autolap function which shows you how fast you have run the last mile.

TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with BT Home Hub 3, 21 Jan. 2013
The product comes with a very short user guide and I am naturally quite suspicious of these so I downloaded the 47 page TP one. There are 2 ways of setting the product up, firstly the easy way in the very short book supplied with the product by pressing WPS on the WA850 and on your router. However despite trying a few times this did not work for me even when the WA850 was very close to the router.

The other method is to configure via a browser. I typed in [...] and all I got were strange web pages trying to sell me something. When I found the WA850 using the Wi-Fi network search of the laptop it allowed me to put in the user name and password (both admin). I then started to use the quick user method of installation (though this seems bizarre it's harder than using the WPS method). I found my router, clicked next to it, put in my Wi-Fi password and then clicked next until I got to a summary screen where you click finish. This page then crashed every time I clicked finish. However the extender plug seemed to have connected as there were a number of new lights indicating connection.

I moved it to where I needed it to be and then thought I had been successful. However 5 mins later I established my Wi-Fi was dead, I had to switch off the plug and reboot my router.

I reset my plug, (though it is very hard to do this whilst it is plugged in to a socket) and tried again. I went through the same process and it again seemed to work. I moved the plug to where I needed it to be and then it worked for a while, however I could not get Wi-Fi next to the router but I could next to the plug. Since then I have switched off the plug and restarted my router and my Wi-Fi is back

Sadly I am not a network engineer but it feels like there is some kind of conflict between the plug and my router. I have emailed TP to see what the problem is, but looking at the Amazon reviews there seem to be a lot of people over the last few days who are struggling with this product.

27th Jan 2013 Update

Since last week i have exchanged 4-5 emails with the TP Link helpdesk. In these emails they have asked for information which I have already given them (eg is the extender close enough to the router) and the only suggestions they have made are to change channel on my router and to reset the device. Well I have done both about a dozen times without success. Each time i try to use the extender it kills my router and i have to switch off the extender and then restart my router. If you look at recent reviews, this is a marmite product. If it works, then the user loves it but there are a number of people like me who have given it 1 star as it doesn't work.

6th Feb 2013 Update

After a dozen or so emails backwards and forwards with TP in which their only suggestions were to change channel and to do a firmware update. I asked if there were compatability issues with my BT Home Hub 3, emailing TP links to compatability issues with the previous version the WA830. TP have admitted that their UK testing on the HH3 has revealed similar issues. They helpfully pointed out that HH3 has "problems with other vendors units too, at least we can say the HH3 is not so robust". They are going to do more testing and come back to me. So if you have a BT HomeHub 3 then beware, I notice one reviewer who seems to be using his WA850 happily with a BT HomeHub 3 but who knows if it will work with others

20th Feb. TP Link have returned from their 2 week Chinese New Year Holiday and have only just requested a HomeHub 3 is shipped to them from the UK for testing. If they had done this before they disappeared for a 2 week break they would already be able to test it. They blame BT for these issues. Sadly the company who supplied my unit Kikatek (via Amazon) have so far refused to give me a refund as I should have requested this within 2 weeks even though I was unaware of the compatability issues at this point. The TP Link web site says the product has "Universal Compatability" and "Works seamlessly with all 802.11 b/g/n wireless devices" even though this is blatantly not true
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2013 10:25 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5