Profile for N. Smith > Reviews

Content by N. Smith

N. Smith "beetrootrabbit" (Manchester)

Day
Day
by A.L. Kennedy

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Day (Paperback)
I was wanting to like this after enjoying 2 of the other Costa nominated books, but unfortunately I found this book a real slog. As a previous reviewer has commented this book failed to keep my attention & I found I had read several pages without taking anything in. There were some lovely moments in the book, inparticularly the parts between Joyce & Alfred but I would not recommend this title to anyone. Sorry!

Atonement
Atonement
by Ian McEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 5 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Atonement (Paperback)
This was my first Ian McEwan novel but certainly won't be my last, I couldn't but this down. Beautifully written, I thought the first part perfect in painting the picture for the setting of the events that would effect the characters lives forever. I didn't think it too slow at all. Although the first part was my favourite bit of the book I loved all of it. I would recommend this book to anyone.

My Booky Wook
My Booky Wook
by Russell Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Booky Wook!, 5 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I am a big Russell Brand fan but was in fear of reading this book as his ego can sometimes be out of control. I had no need to fear though as Russell has the ability to be also quite deprecating about himself. The book is full of what could be potentially depressing stories but he thankfully keeps away from the Child Called It genre & puts a humerous spin on all he has been through, not sure if that is healthy but it certainly makes for a fabulous, laugh-out loud memoir. A must read.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Penguin Popular Classics)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Lewis Carroll

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated?, 28 Oct. 2007
I have just re-read Alice Wonderland; last time I read it I was a teen & loved it, now, I just found it annoying, especially Lewis carroll's writing style, very childlike, (perhaps he was aiming for that)?
I agree with previous reviews that the Mock Turtle is the best character in the book with some very cleve lines, but this didn't outweigh how much I wanted to strangle Alice by the end of the book!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2009 4:26 PM GMT

Notes From A Big Country: Journey Into the American Dream
Notes From A Big Country: Journey Into the American Dream
by Bill Bryson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 1 Oct. 2007
This title was chosen by my book club as this month's title & I was dreading reading it, as my previous encounter with Mr Bryson was 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' which I hated. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this book. It has many laugh out loud moments like Bill's hatred of the barbers & love of motels & the US Postal Services' Customer Day. The 4 page chapters are ideal as he get's to cover a wide range of topics. From reading this I will definitely try some of Bryson's other titles. A great read.

In the Mood for Food
In the Mood for Food
by Jo Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars In the Mood for great food? Buy this book!, 24 April 2007
This review is from: In the Mood for Food (Paperback)
The layout for this book is what inspired me to buy it, the recipes split into sections such as things to cook when you are feeling lazy, things to cook when you want to be healthy etc. I have only owned this book for a month & have already made 6 or 7 of the dishes, every single one of them was a winner. Particular favourites being the chianti baked meatballs & slow roast honey & ginger duck. Dishes thast look & taste amazing but so simple to make, this book is suitable for a novice right up to an expert. I have already bought this book as a gift for 2 of my friends & others can expect it too!

Anybody Out There
Anybody Out There
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen of 'chick-lit'!, 24 April 2007
This review is from: Anybody Out There (Paperback)
In this genre there is so much dross & every story the same, girl meets boy, girl loses boy blah blah blah! Not with Marian. This book will make you laugh out loud (anna's mum especially had me creased-up) & cry. This book shows why Marian Keyes is streets ahead in this genre. Would make a brilliant holiday read, just make sure when you start this book you have no pressing issues as you will find it hard to put down.

Kafka on the Shore
Kafka on the Shore
by Haruki Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars Murakami continues to deliver, 19 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Kafka on the Shore (Hardcover)
Murakami is my favourite author & I was afraid that this novel might let me down, thank God it didn't!
As with other Murakami novels if you tried to describe the story it would sound like nonsense, but for some reason when you are reading it, it just makes sense.
If you enjoyed this then try The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Murakami's masterpiece!