Profile for L.Moore > Reviews

French Professional Extra Heavy Duty Aluminium Crpe Pan 25cm
French Professional Extra Heavy Duty Aluminium Crpe Pan 25cm
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 12.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Light enough to flip; heavy enough to keep the heat well. Makes lovely crepes., 9 Jun 2014
A nice traditionally-shaped crepe pan, but with a non-stick surface. Only the slightest wipe of oil is needed to cook a nice pancake. The non-stick coating seems fairly good quality. It's oven-safe, so you can use it to keep a stack of pancakes warm in the over without any bits of it melting. NOTE: it is labelled as *not* suitable for induction hobs, being entirely aluminium.

As with other oven-safe all-metal pans and griddles (e.g. cast iron griddles and skillets) you will need a tea-towel to wrap around the handle as it will soon get hot. This is quite normal and no reason to give the pan a low rating.

This is a very cheap crepe pan but looks as if it would last quite a long time. I've just made a stack of lovely, lacy crepes with it, similar to the ones you buy at crepe stalls, but you could also use it for American-style thicker pancakes or drop scones.

Lavender Thermotherapy Rubber Hot Water Bottle With Chunky Cable Knit Cover
Lavender Thermotherapy Rubber Hot Water Bottle With Chunky Cable Knit Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely-made, chunky knit cover, 21 Mar 2013
This hot water bottle arrived promptly & nicely-packaged. It has a pale cream bottle & pale lilac knit cover. The cover quality is good: no grotty loose ends or annoying stickers to remove. The knitting is just like a chunky jumper, and makes a very cosy cover. Well worth it for the price. NB. you can also wash the cover without it deteriorating ( I used a warm synthetics wash - I don't think it's actually wool).

CREE XM-L T6 LED 1200 Lumen Cycling Bicycle / Bike Light, HeadLight/ Head Lamp Kit (Green)
Offered by C&B Seen
Price: 51.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value - comparable to a motorbike headlight, 4 Dec 2012
This arrived very promptly in a nice package with not just the light and battery pack, but also an extension cable, fluorescent fastening loops, and a head/helmet strap for turning this into a helmet light. Everything seems very well-made. As I lifted the new light out of the box, my cat made a leap for the dangling cable and knocked it onto the stone floor... disaster! But the light didn't have the slightest mark on it, not even a small dent, and has worked perfectly well, with no apparent damage to the case or the bulb. So I guess it's made of good quality materials and would take a few knocks if I upend the bike.

The battery pack charged up in a couple of hours (i.e. the charger LED turned from red to green). Possibly it already had some charge, as the claim is a 4-hour charge time. The battery pack fits nicely into a small tri-bag next to the handlebars on my bike; or you could just strap it on with the velcro strap provided. The light itself is small but chunky, and straps firmly onto the handlebars with the wraparound silicone loop fastener. I'm not sure how long this will last, but it's OK for the time being.

When you connect the light to the battery pack, the On button glows green when it's fully charged; then blue as the charge diminishes. I'm not sure what colour it goes when the charge is nearly used up; red?

It takes me about an hour to commute home in the evening; about half the journey is on completely unlit country roads, where the main problem (apart from skiddy piles of cowshite and lurking potholes) is getting dazzled by oncoming vehicles. That, my friends, is now a thing of the past! The little light is extremely bright, with a penetrating, wide beam and bright white light. The advantages are:
*Drivers can see you coming and dip headlights in advance (I think they assume it's a motorbike);
*It really lights up the road well;
*Drivers can see it from behind and seem to respond as if there was another vehicle ahead;
*It's a lot cheaper than some high-end front lighting systems;
*It's just about small enough to carry about in a pocket if you don't want to leave it on the bike.

The beam stayed on highest brightness for the full hour. NB. The three settings: highest strength, medium and flashing, appear to cycle one after the other when you press the On button. In other words, if there's a Memory setting I haven't discovered it.

Disadvantages:
This is best treated as a road headlight comparable with a motorbike light. That makes it uncomfortable for pedestrians; several were dazzled by it as I cycled along the short bit of my journey which is a split cycle/walking path. One said "you could bring down a plane with that!". No-one was particularly annoyed but I wouldn't blame them if they were. So the "dipped" or medium-beam setting would be best for paths.

In all, I feel a lot safer cycling at night with this light, even compared to the fairly-good Cateye front light I had before. It makes a huge difference - and also, I discovered, makes an excellent torch if you really need to find something outdoors at night, or fix something in the yard. Recommended.

Catullus the Caterpillar
Catullus the Caterpillar
by Rachel Denise Braddock

5.0 out of 5 stars Really original - fantastic to read out loud!, 9 Mar 2012
This is a great example of original children's literature which really appeals to small children: it's a little world of its own, with very distinctive illustrations. I got a copy for a three year old, who now recites bits of it with great enjoyment, as the language manages to be alliterative and fun, but with the use of some quite long words - perfect for bookish small children who want to read aloud. It also has the mischief factor (the idea of making curious concoctions in order to wreak revenge on a pesky little cousin was very appealing!).

NB. The Bold Beasts company which produced the book has a blog which mentions other stories including Ariadne Armadillo, Caractacus Cat, and Obadiah The Ostrich - which sound fun although I haven't actually seen any books for these.

iZKA - 3 Pin USB 1A Charger UK Wall Plug for MP3 MP4 players, iPod, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, Apple iPad, Tablet, Mobile Phones, PDAs, Kindle, TomTom, Navman, Garmin, Blackberry, Samsung, Sony, Nokia and digital cameras etc - Black
Offered by MedievalMedia
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful product; seems quite well-built, 4 Mar 2012
My power plug adaptor is currently being used for a couple of devices which need USB charging - a Kindle and a mobile phone. It charges at about the same rate as the USB plug on my PC. It seems fine, and arrived promptly in good packaging. It has a slightly better build quality than the one I use at work (which came with the phone).

There was nothing wrong with the sale, and the plug seems fine, but I note from their email that iBox haven't spell-checked their communications. Really low spelling standards are often a sign of spam, so they should probably spruce up their writing skills if they want maximum attention, esp. in emails (I nearly deleted it, thinking it was a badly-written phishing attempt!).

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture very good, but material thin; not designed for any particular laptop, 19 Jan 2012
Good quality image, but the vinyl-type material is very thin and tends to stretch if not placed very carefully. Fingerprints show up very clearly on it, and it is too thin to add much protection, just an attractive picture. Bubbles are actually quite difficult to remove without causing stretching or even breaking of the material. Unlike other skins I have used (Lapjacks and Intoro) this one isn't going to last long.

Main problem: whilst advertised as "for Dell XPS L502X", this is actually nothing to do with it: just a plain rectangle which is much too large for the model described in the title, and needs cutting to fit the laptop. The backing isn't marked in any way to give any indication of where to cut. Whilst they do say in the description that some extra trimming might be needed, what they actually mean is: "buy a large sheet of thin vinyl picture, measure it carefully against your laptop, and cut everything exactly to size".

The World And Other Places
The World And Other Places
by Jeanette Winterson
Price: 7.67

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent collection of stories: but note that the book's appearance is not as advertised, 18 Nov 2011
A good example of how short stories can show a writer at their best. These date from the late 90s as far as I can tell, and are imaginative, with rich imagery and depth of feeling. One or two stories are wholly or partly autobiographical, but most don't seem to be.

It seems unfair on Winterson to downgrade the review because of the structural quality of the book, so I won't... but the copy I received doesn't have the attractive cover shown in the Amazon page, and the paper it's printed on is only just above toilet-roll in the family tree of paper quality. I can see it getting dogeared and grotty quite quickly. That's a shame as I would like to hang onto this book, which deserves a nicer imprint (e.g. the one illustrated). Whilst I applaud the use of FSC paper I know that they can do better than this - it's not as if it's even actually recycled paper (which I might have forgiven!).

Tangle Junior - Fuzzy
Tangle Junior - Fuzzy
Offered by tink n stink
Price: 4.40

4.0 out of 5 stars A very satisfying way to fidget!, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Tangle Junior - Fuzzy (Toy)
I picked up one of these on a whim to add to our office fidgetting materials... which include a battered Rubik's cube, some juggling newts, worry beads and other bits and pieces that people couldn't resist bringing in for those loooong phone calls and other fiddling opportunities. Our fuzzy tangle proved popular with everyone & their kids.

It has the soothing tangle-ability of the plain tangles, but with a lovely velvety texture. The velvet wears off after a bit so I can't say this was a very durable toy. A few months down the line I've ordered a couple more, as the original Tangle is now almost bald of fuzz, and looks grubby and battered. For a small, cheap toy that is designed specifically to be mauled about I can't really complain about this though!

Favourite Tangle-ing tips include breaking the segments into bits (note: not suitable for under-3s for this reason) and re-assembling them as interlocking circles.. which make an appealing, chunky key fob. Also, mixing this one with other Tangles for extra tangle-ability.
[yes, we do occasionally do some work!!]

Ghost In The Shell 2.0 Redux [DVD]
Ghost In The Shell 2.0 Redux [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Oshii
Price: 4.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Note that Amazon have pasted up the wrong synopsis for this film, 26 Oct 2010
I'm a great fan of GITS, and have seen most of its incarnations. The digitally-remastered version of the original is available as an "extra" on this DVD, and I think I prefer it to the "Redux" version, although the new CGI is interesting. It doesn't fit all that well with the original cell animation, though. For fans I'd say it was still worth a look, especially at a reduced price. But if you've never seen the original I'd go with that.

I agree with several others that, whilst the improved sound and visual resolution (and colouring) is welcome, the CGI just distracts from the flow of the movie. Don't be too put off though: it is worth watching, as the visual quality of the original was fairly low compared with current standards and it's nice to see it all looking brighter and clearer.

Note that Amazon have (as of Oct 2010 anyway) put the Synopsis for GITS2: Innocence rather than for GITS2: Redux, i.e. they give the impression that this is the recent sequel, whereas Redux is a re-working of the original movie. Not surprising given the obviously confusing names: both are called GITS 2 despite being a different product altogether. There are also several rather confusing editions of the two films: for example a Blu-ray double box set of both Innocence and Redux, which adds nothing to the individual DVDs except a bigger sleeve; the two movies, individually packed; the original is still available; and the separate Blu-Ray versions of each film. All appear to have the same review and synopsis regardless of which is which!

Skullcandy Titans SCS2TTBZ-LZ Earbuds - Purple
Skullcandy Titans SCS2TTBZ-LZ Earbuds - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in their price range - to get the full benefit, be prepared to adjust the fit, 10 Nov 2009
Update Oct 2010: my Titans still look and sound as good as the day I received them, after being used every day for months. However, I looked at some which my colleague was complaining about the other day, and discovered that they were of very inferior quality. A glance at the packaging revealed that they were clearly counterfeits. So, yet again, it's Buyer Beware with audio equipment. Don't be tempted if you see these ultra-cheap from a Marketplace seller with a tacky shop name!! And check them carefully when they arrive: if the packaging or build quality looks suspect, don't even bother with them: straight back to the seller. Sadly this now seems to apply to all internet purchases of popular products/brands. It must be very frustrating for the "good" manufacturers - I bet many of their low-star reviews are actually of rip-off versions of their product. An infuriating waste of time and money for all concerned.

Original review:
I got these to go with my Cowon iaudio U3, which has very good audio quality (and had good earbuds, but the cat got them and thought they were a nice, chewable toy, unfortunately). So I wanted new earbuds that could get the best out of a fairly pricey Mp3 player. The Titans are excellent: I would say that the sound quality is equal to my 65 Sennheiser on-ear headphones. Packaging is good, build quality is really excellent, and they look good too.

This is what you get in the box:
Packaging: almost impenetrable blister pack with various inserts. The decorative skull logo inside the front of the packet is a removable sticker.
Earbuds: titanium I think, very solid build, lots of choice of colours, L or R marked clearly and neatly on the back, cute skull design etched onto the metal at the back. I got the purple ones.
Foamies: choice of two kinds of cover. Out of the box these come with coloured, silicon covers (bright yellow in the case of the purple model which I got), but two pairs of grey memory foam ("Comply" brand) foamies are also included.
Flex: a very long, solid quality coloured wire (green in my case), with transparent coating, giving an unusual see-through appearance to the flex. Fused at the top so that you can separate out the earbud wires for as far down the flex as you like. Not asymmetric though (i.e. on these, the right hand earpiece flex is the same length as the left one).
Volume: a neat, cylindrical volume slider is set into the flex, same metal and colour as the earpieces.
Case: a small, round, zipped case with a cool skull design on the side, hard on the front and mesh at the back. You can zip the headphones and spare foamies (there's a tiny internal pocket for these) into this and hang it from a key-ring or belt. About 2 inches in diameter so not cumbersome. I've been carrying spare micro-SD cards in there as well.
Documentation: not a lot. A small safety leaflet ("don't wreck your hearing, kids") plus some technical info on the box itself.
Plug: very firmly attached to the flex, same coloured metal as the earpieces and slider (with neat, etched lines as a nice decoration), and a gold-plated 3.5mm jack. Fits very firmly into my Mp3 player and also my PC's headphone slot, with a satisfying clunk as it fits into place. I could probably lift the whole PC tower just by the Titan plug without it bending or coming out.

My experience with these:
fantastic sound quality, but you need to experiment a bit with the earbud covers because they give a quite different experience depending on which you choose. I have small ears and found both the silicon and foam earbud covers were a snug fit, blocking almost all external sounds. I also tried them with a generic, normal foam cover which I had spare from my last earbuds. Actually I prefer these. The sound quality seems to be basically neutral, but with a noticeably clearer treble using the silicon buds, and a much deeper bass using the foamies. The depth and richness of sound is amazing given the size and price-range, and they responded well to the JetEffect equaliser thingy on my MP3 player, pumping extra bass when I chose the "rock" setting and picking out the treble on the higher setting. In guitar music I could hear the player breathing! DVD soundtrack on my PC was also a bit of a revelation. I hadn't realised I was missing so much.

There is some "fumble" noise from touching the flex, but unlike some other reviewers (see Amazon.com reviews) I didn't find this any worse than any other earbuds.

The longer-than-average flex is not really a problem and has the added benefit of making these very useful earbuds for plugging into my PC eg. when listening to DVDs late at night. Their audio quality is better than my Dell speakers, and of course it saves the neighbours from having to listen to Cowboy Bebop at 1 am...

Others' experience:
Lots of US reviews mention that flex noise (i.e. thumping/crunching sounds when touching the lead) was a problem with these. Others say that they didn't like one or the other types of earbud cover (some preferred the silicon). Also that the colour on the non-chrome model tends to wear off, rather as it does on jewellery made out of the same material. Others thought the sound was either too fruity a bass or two scratchy a treble! In general though they seem to be very popular. From my experience I have to say that flex noise isn't an issue, and most people should be able to sort out how to make these sound their best just by changing the covers around (or using different foamies from another make, as I have done). As for the wear on the purple titanium, I'm looking forward to this: like "distressed" furniture I happen to like this kind of effect.

These have got to be about the best available price-wise, with a better build quality than some of the others in a similar range. For example Skullcandy Inkd, which are great but seem a lot more flimsy, and ipod earbuds, which aren't terrible but which just aren't in the same league as these. If you're looking to spend this kind of amount, then go for Titans is my advice. Just make sure they don't get nicked, because they look really cool!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2011 1:05 PM GMT