Profile for Steve Sutton > Reviews

Content by Steve Sutton

Steve Sutton (England)

5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml (Pack of 4)
5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml (Pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, but loses pressure a bit too quickly. Not that good for nooks & crannies., 12 Mar. 2015
Does the job, but the pressure gets low fairly quickly, compared to other compressed air cans I've used. Also, the extender pipe reduces the pressure, so this is really not good for reaching into nooks, crannies, and anything you can't get the can close to, after much more than a little usage. Without the pipe, it's not terrible, though.

Overall I'm happy with respect to the lower price I paid, compared to other longer lasting cans.

2M BLACK CHARGE SYNC USB CABLE FOR ASUS EEE PAD TRANSFORMER TF101 SL101 TF201
2M BLACK CHARGE SYNC USB CABLE FOR ASUS EEE PAD TRANSFORMER TF101 SL101 TF201
Offered by Buwicoeu

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but appears flimsy and not very well made., 12 Mar. 2015
It works as a replacement cable, but I was a little disappointed with the manufacturing quality; specifically, the cable sleeve doesn't run quite into the connector and the separate internal cables can be seen. When it bends there as I'm sitting using it, it gives me a "this is flimsy" vibe, and I worry that it is going to break easily. Another problem is that, sometimes I have to remove the USB end of the cable from the adapter and re-plug it in to get it to start charging, which never happened with the original cable. However, it does at least allow me to charge my tablet, which the original cable stopped doing after I trapped it in a drawer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2015 5:08 PM BST

Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX - NF-A4x10 FLX Fan - 40mm
Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX - NF-A4x10 FLX Fan - 40mm
Offered by NOCTUA - Designed in Austria

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for the quiet, and not disappointed., 12 Mar. 2015
Excellent! I've just installed this in my media centre, with the noise reduction adapter, and this really is very quiet .... not silent, but much much quieter than the cheapo fan I replaced with it. Barely noticeable above the whirring of hard discs. The PC kept thermalling out when the room was warm, but only occasionally and the case was always quite hot when this happened, so even a small amount of airflow should be adequate to keep it running now, and I should actually be able to hear videos at a low volume now.

Pressac NTE5 compatible ADSL filtered faceplate
Pressac NTE5 compatible ADSL filtered faceplate
Offered by PixelHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to do the job., 2 April 2011
I was a little concerned that I might not get any benefit out of this, because I plug my microfilter directly into the master BT socket, so I expected that there wouldn't be much benefit. What I found was that my d/l rate went from ~5700 immediately before installation to ~6500 immediately after, so I'm pretty impressed. Hopefully line training will give me an extra boost, but even if not, and extra 14% d/l speed for a one off cost is enough to make me happy. u/l rate for me went down from just over 1000 to about 980.

TP-LINK TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point V2 (White)
TP-LINK TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point V2 (White)
Offered by MrTronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough, 29 Nov. 2010
Does what it says on the tin. I don't have anything that does 802.11/n, so I couldn't test the rate, but got good throughput on my network with /g laptops.

When positioned upstairs on the windowsill, laptops downstairs had difficulty getting a signal. The deceased Edimax I was replacing seemed to perform better than that, but not substantially.

The good news, though, is that thanks to Power-over-Ethernet, I can re-position the AP on the landing, with only one (ethernet) cable connected to it, so could then get a signal downstairs - the power is supplied via a simple adaptor (supplied), which sits under my desk with the ADSL Modem &c.

Shinco SDP-1280 - 10.2" Multi Reigon Portable DVD Player with Swivel Head, Built-In Card Reader, TV Tuner Support, MPEG4, DivX Playback and Travel Case

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fine really...not perfect, but fine, 28 July 2009
I bought one of these a few days ago, and overall, it's quite a reasonable DVD player. (I've not really used others, so this is just based on this player).

A few negatives worth mentioning:-

The remote sensor is at the front on the base, which is fine if you use it that way, but if you want to use it with the screen rotated/tilted down (e.g. on a flat surface which is higher than your head) then the remote doesn't work, unless you reach round to point it at the sensor (I also managed to get it to work by placing an object which would reflect the signal near the sensor but YMMV, and this is not necessarily convenient to do). They really should have put this on the screen part, though, so it is always facing you.

The control buttons have a bit of a clunky feel to them, and don't always register unless you press them a little harder (on the unit itself, not the remote - to be fair, you will probably use the remote much more anyway).

The in-built speakers are a little quiet (to be expected on a unit like this). To be fair, they're not too bad, and in a quiet place are usable. Volume with the supplied headphones goes quite high, so no problem there.

The instructions/label says don't charge the battery from the 12v/car charger. Could be inconvenient if you want to take it away camping - you will either need some 240v source to recharge, or to run it without the battery off a 12v supply.

Otherwise though, this seemed to be quite a reasonable player. Picture quality was acceptable, sound is fine. There were a few horrible noises when first putting a disc in, as other reviews have mentioned, but it soon quietens down, and I didn't notice it during playback.

So, would I recommend it? Well, I don't know the market enough to know if you can get better value for your money, but if you're not worried about the negatives I mentioned, then I say "sure, why not. Seems reasonable enough to me."

UPDATE (Nov 2010): I've had this for a while now, and it's served me well enough. I've not used it for a little while (I have full size TV/DVD player combo for the caravan now), but it's seen me through the entire West Wing, and more. Somebody else mentioned a problem that it occasionally fails to start up, and I've found that too, but simply powercycling it solves the problem - a minor annoyance, although one that doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence, but minor nonetheless.

It will play things off a USB stick, however the length of the filenames displayed is limited, which is annoying if you've got lots of files which start with a date, as you then can't see the title, but then I tend to use it as a straight out DVD player anyway.

Dead Famous
Dead Famous
by Ben Elton

5.0 out of 5 stars Satirical, witty, and murderous fun. Ben does it again., 25 April 2002
This review is from: Dead Famous (Paperback)
One house. Ten contestants. Thirty cameras. Forty microphones. I bought this book, just to find out how the hell someone could get murdered in the "House Arrest" house, without anyone knowing about it.

When you peel away the wrappings, this book is a classic whodunnit. Ten people are in a house, and one of them is dead. One of the survivors must be the killer. But who is it, what's the motive, and why oh why wasn't it Woggle who was killed?

But whatever you do, don't simply peel away the wrappings. This is book is more than that. Ben Elton has stripped down the "Big Brother" phenomenon, and given it his treatement. The result is a satrical look at the whole state of affairs, through the eyes of those who love, hate, or take part in it.

This book is not just for "Big Brother" fans, detractors will be able to sympathise with Chief Inspector Coleridge, but it would help if you are at least familiar with it.