Profile for Dat Geezer From The Pub > Reviews

Content by Dat Geezer Fro...

Dat Geezer From The Pub "FGN" (Hampshire, England)

Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Five-Mode Power Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide
Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Five-Mode Power Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide
Offered by The-toothbrushes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good life expectancy, 29 May 2014
I can't fault the Oral B Triumph for it's cleaning ability. In the past 2 years I have never needed plaque removed or had anything else done at the dentist for that matter. The reason I am giving the rating of just 2 stars, is because Oral B (Probably not exclusive to this brand) do not make their batteries consumer changeable when they reach the end of their life, so you have to throw away a perfectly good unit for the sake of a battery. Yes there are Youtube videos on how to replace the battery if you are happy to disassemble and are capable of using a soldering iron, but not all of us can. There is no need for Oral B to make it so deliberately difficult to replace something as simple as a battery, it is obviously so people HAVE to replace their toothbrushes every 2 years or so. Disgraceful.

Charger, Nimh 15 Minute Aa/Aaa
Charger, Nimh 15 Minute Aa/Aaa
Offered by Game Points Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid it like the plague, 31 Dec 2013
I've had one of these for a couple of years, yes it does charge fast when it works, when being the operative word. It is far the most fussy battery charger I have ever used. Firstly it will only accept Duracell batteries of a certain type, won't even charge older duracell batteries let alone other brands and eventually became fussy about the batteries it usually works with. I'd look for a universal battery charger instead of paying above the odds for this one, I intend to get a different one myself.

Sogatel - Skype compatible USB cordless internet phone - Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP

5.0 out of 5 stars Skype stole my sound settings., 29 Dec 2010
Much has already been said about this phone and the vast majority of comments are correct. It is a surprisingly well made phone with the black parts being made of a rubber making it comfortable to hold, the handset doesn't feel quite so cheap as most skype phones. When it comes to sound quality, different people will have different views on just how good that is. I personally think the sound quality is equal to any dect cordless house phone. I did see mentioned in a couple of reviews about the phone kidnapping windows sound settings and people having to constantly reset them, this is a common problem with skype phones and is more to do with the skype software and windows than the phone itself, and it can be overcome by adjusting just one setting within windows, so my main reason for this review is to point out how to overcome the problem of all sounds being emitted from the phone whilst it's running. You may have to restart the skype software afterwards, I can't remember if I had to or not.

In Windows 7, simply right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "Playback devices" then select the playback device you would normally use for say listening to music, first things first, set it back as your default playback device and click on "Apply", then select the "Properties" button followed by the "Advanced" tab. In the advanced section untick the box which says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and finally click "Apply" then "OK"

Now the skype software will still use the phone for its audio and mic but it will not interfere with normal windows sounds or playback of music etc.

I don't know if there is a similar problem on XP or not, I only have a virtual copy of XP now and could not find a tick box regarding allowing applications exclusive control, the only tick box I could see was "Use default devices only" so if anyone is having a similar problem in XP it may well be worth ticking that, you can always go back and untick it if it makes no difference.

I gave it 5 stars because I think it is worth the money, setup is easy and the sound kidnapping problems are not the fault of the phone and therefore not exclusive to this model or brand.

Anyway, I hope someone finds the above info useful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2013 4:28 PM BST