ARRAY(0xb2804078)

Profile for Jennifer McCullough > Reviews

Content by Jennifer McCul...

Jennifer McCullough (Scotland, U.K.)

The Retribution: 7 (Tony Hill)
The Retribution: 7 (Tony Hill)
by Val McDermid
Price: 3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreary, 30 July 2013
I like Val McDermid's books and enjoyed Wire in the Blood very much, but this book was a dreary read. Far too much of it was written in the past perfect as things had to be explained from previous books (she/he had done this that and the other). It wasn't really a standalone book. The ending was pretty awful. I think Val just wanted to get the wretched book finished and both storylines suffered from the point of the book - that staff had been overworked between the two cases and neither was given its justifiable time to develop the plot. Hence both endings were rushed and unexplained. I'm tired of reading books in a series. I'm off to read a standalone great novel now. I've chosen a William Boyd one.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Put It Down, 17 July 2013
Yes, I knew JK Rowling had written the book before I bought it on Kindle, but I was also attracted by the theme of crime fiction. All I can say is, it is terrific! I have hardly been able to put it down since I got it. I've nearly finished it, not quite yet (and I still don't know whodunnit) but it has been a most enjoyable read and I do hope "Robert Galbraith" writes a series of books with Cormoran Strike and Robin. I shall be buying them....

Swift Supreme Whistling kettle 2.5L
Swift Supreme Whistling kettle 2.5L

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't overfill, 3 Feb 2010
I have had one of these kettles for five years but I want to replace it. It looks good, but the handle is coming away from the body. The weight of water has caused this, although I'm not aware of having filled it beyond the maximum. The design puts a huge amount of stress on the handle. Be careful!

The Saffron Kitchen
The Saffron Kitchen
by Yasmin Crowther

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 20 July 2007
This review is from: The Saffron Kitchen (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book. I wanted to read it quickly because I wanted to know what happened next, yet I didn't want to finish it. The characters are rounded and it's easy to empathise with them and their dilemmas. I shall be reading A Thousand Splendid Suns next as I think it will be similarly sympathetic to Middle Eastern women and their culture.

Three Men in a Boat & Three Men on a Bummel (Wordsworth Classics)
Three Men in a Boat & Three Men on a Bummel (Wordsworth Classics)
by Jerome K. Jerome
Price: 1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest book ever!!, 9 April 2001
I picked up an old war time copy of the book. It had been lurking at the back of my bookcase for as long as I can remember, but I felt like reading something clean and amusing. What a great choice! I think this must be the funniest book I have ever read. The tears ran down my face. I laughed out loud in public places. I could not believe it had been written in the 19th century, the humour seemed so fresh and relevant. If you want just a rollicking good laugh on every page, with the funniest images flicking through your brain, I would recommend this book as one of the most enjoyable I've ever read. Now I am going to get a new copy of it. Every page of my war time copy (made within economical rationing guidelines), fell out as I read it. I think it must have belonged to my grandmother.

English Passengers
English Passengers
by Matthew Kneale

4.0 out of 5 stars So many different characters to enjoy!, 1 April 2001
This review is from: English Passengers (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading "English Passengers". It took me a while to read it (5 weeks), as I tend to read in bed and fall asleep after a few pages. However, a book like this, which has many diffent voices contributing to it, is perfect for this stop-start sort of reading as you never lose the flow of the story. And what a story it is! I was greatly amused by the Reverend Wilson, touched and saddened by the fate of Peevay and the Palawa, horrified at Dr. Potter and the dreadful ideas he had, given so much credence in the 19th century. Mixed in with these stories was the farce of the Manxmen and their escapes from real and imagined arrest. By the third third of the book, I had given up reading it in bits - I was so intrigued as to how it was all going to end, I read in in a oner! If you have also enjoyed this book, I would recommend "The Birthday Boys" by Beryl Bainbridge, as "English Passengers" reminded me of it a bit. It is about the ill-fated adventure to the South Pole undertaken in 1912 by Captain Scott.

Potatoes Not Prozac: Are You Sugar Sensitive?
Potatoes Not Prozac: Are You Sugar Sensitive?
by Kathleen DesMaisons

4.0 out of 5 stars practical help in taking control of your body, 16 Mar 2000
I bought this book because I suffered from chronic tiredness at different times of the day and it was becoming a real problem. I just couldn't function by early afternoon. After following the seven steps in this interesting book, I healed myself of the highs and lows in my blood sugar level and found vitality again. It has made a real difference to me.