Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

No Man's Land [DVD] [2001] [2002]
Dvd ~ Branko Djuric
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Know man's War, 16 Sept. 2005
I first watched this film a couple of years ago on TV, to try to develop my understanding of what happened during the Yugoslav conflicts and to help improve my language skills.
I hadn't heard anything about it before so didn't hold out much hope for a great movie. How wrong can you be?
This film is a work of art. How close to reality is comes I can't say, but it brings together a real flavour of the cultures, tensions and shared past/future.
The film is compelling, humorous and downright gut wrenching. The film is undeniably gripping, delivered with spoon-full's of black humour, and punctuated with grotesque futility.
I have subsequently re-watched this movie and enjoyed bits that I'd missed first time around.
My only disappointment is with some of the translation, which is not word perfect and could have added more for those who don't know any basic Yugoslavian (sorry for lumping the languages together rather clumsily).
However, this is without doubt in my top 10 all-time must see films. So buy it (especially at such a cheap price for an Oscar winning Film).