Profile for Andy G > Reviews

HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites
HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites
by Jon Duckett

5.0 out of 5 stars Top tipple, 7 Aug. 2012
Can't fault this. Excellent. Contains a surprising amount of good information, and attractive too boot! I need five more words..

The Quick Python Book
The Quick Python Book
by Naomi R. Ceder

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and quick, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Quick Python Book (Paperback)
I really like this book and wish I had gone for it ahead of 'Learning Python' by Mark Lutz. If you are a complete novice to programming though, then it wouldn't be suitable as a first book.

It reads as advertised - a quick overview of Python. Inevitably, there are some topics that I think could have been expanded upon, and others that I think could have been included. I think an extra 20-30 pages would make the book more valuable, without losing focus on the "quick" objective. Nevertheless, a great book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2013 5:26 PM BST

Logitech M235 Wireless Mouse - Vivid Violet
Logitech M235 Wireless Mouse - Vivid Violet

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and compact, 1 Jun. 2012
Neat, compact, and I like the colour I chose - vivid violet.

Can't really fault it, although I might prefer a slightly smoother action on the mouse wheel.

However, I think it could be cheaper.

Learning Python (Animal Guide)
Learning Python (Animal Guide)
by Mark Lutz

2.0 out of 5 stars Wading through syrup, 28 Feb. 2012
Admittedly, I have an earlier edition of this book, but I'm finding it hard going.

I cannot recommend it for a beginner (or even a non-beginner). There's too much chatter, introduces unnecessary jargon/ tech-speak too early, drifts between topics.

Like a number of other books, it assumes the reader is migrating from C/C++ and explains differences for their benefit. These should be side-notes, or gathered together as an appendix.

Professional C# 4.0 and .NET 4 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
Professional C# 4.0 and .NET 4 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
by Christian Nagel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all there, 13 Jan. 2012
It's a very big book with lots of information and, in particular, lots of sample code - which is good.

I've only read a few chapters so far but I'm a little disappointed with a number of omissions. Tuples are given half a page, TextReader/ Writer are not mentioned at all, Serialization is not covered (although XML serialization might be). I've noticed a number of errors so far.

Apart from the first few chapters it doesn't seem to introduce topics - it just assumes that you know the subject, and then only delves into certain aspects.

So, very much a mixed bag, and I'm having to supplement my reading with the (excellent) 'C# in a Nutshell'.

I still recommend it though, but it couldn't be used as a single resource - despite its size.

C# 4.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
C# 4.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
by Joseph Albahari

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 1 Jan. 2012
Quality, top-notch! Can't fault it.

This is likely to become my main C# reference, together with the companion Pocket Reference. Although, it's quite scarey in parts?!
It concentrates on core C# so there is nothing about Windows Forms or WPF, etc. However, it does discuss some of the inner details of the Entity Framework. These subjects are too big to cover, even though this books has 1000 pages. So other references will be necessary.

Caveat emptor: This is a very detailed reference. Although some sections are excellent at introducing a subject, this book is not intended to be a tutorial.

Kensington Orbit Optical Wired USB Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring for PC and Mac - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse alternative, 1 Jan. 2012
I was having a little discomfort with "mouses" and this is definitely an improvement. I'm sure, like me, most people will get used to it very quickly.

The scroll wheel takes a little longer to get used to and I still find myself occasionally scrolling up when I meant down! I keep scrolling with my middle finger, but I think it would be better to use ones thumb.

C# 4.0 Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
C# 4.0 Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
by Joseph Albahari

5.0 out of 5 stars Top little reference, 24 Dec. 2011
Excellent reference, but also includes enough (small) examples to introduce each topic. I've ordered 'C# In A Nutshell' partly as a consequence of obtaining this reference.

I now have nine of these reference guides and this is probably the best! I think it might almost be possible to learn the language from this book alone (given prior confidence in another language).

Microsoft® Visual C#® 2010 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))
Microsoft® Visual C#® 2010 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))
by John Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars It's in the stars, 24 Dec. 2011
This is an excellent book. I'm not a beginner so it's hard to say if it is the best for a complete novice, but I suspect it's probably the best book you might find to start learning this language.

I'm struggling to find any fault with it. However, it does introduce a number of topics "along the way" and within the exercises. So this makes it less helpful as a reference book. But it was never intended as a reference and, being such a large subject anyway, you'll need eventually to supplement it with a more detailed reference.

The examples are quite novel as well.

JavaScript: The Good Parts
JavaScript: The Good Parts
by Douglas Crockford

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and probably important, 30 Nov. 2011
I believe this to be an important and interesting book, but I haven't read (studied!) it in detail yet.

I like the line diagrams - reminds me of the original Wirth/ Pascal book :) The few sections I've so far dipped into are well explained, but I anticipate struggling with others. I recommend reading 'JavaScript Patterns' first - excellent book.

This seems the kind of book that serious JS Developers should own, but whether they need to, or will, read it in full is another question?!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2011 7:52 AM GMT