Profile for Andy G > Reviews

Content by Andy G

Andy G (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Pro VB 2010 and the .NET 4.0 Platform (Expert's Voice in .NET)
Pro VB 2010 and the .NET 4.0 Platform (Expert's Voice in .NET)
by Andrew Troelsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost there, 27 Nov. 2011
I've now purchased four VB.Net books and they are all good - this is the largest, and perhaps the most advanced, of them.

None of my books are complete, and they tend to concentrate on a selection of topics. This one covers the most ground, and is well written. But be advised - a number of chapters cover some (quite/very) advanced topics. The first few chapters in particular are, though, well written and easy to follow.

The thing that continues to bug me is the discussions of OOP which constantly switch between Car, MotorCycle, Person, Employee etc. I appreciate that some classes seem more natural/ suited to introducing Inheritance, Polymorphism, etc. But I am also sure that it is possible to stick with similar classes (Person, Employee, Manager, Customer) to discuss all OOP topics.

Minor niggles:
Some content is repeated word for word - even across a couple of pages. This might be preferable to overly cross-referencing, but still niggles;
There are frequent very simple code samples, which are immediately expanded upon. This sometimes seems unnecessary and contributes to the overall size of the book.

Well written, quality product - hasn't fallen apart yet!

Belkin 15.6-Inch Laptop Sleeve - Black/Red
Belkin 15.6-Inch Laptop Sleeve - Black/Red
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, 27 Nov. 2011
Looks good for this kind of product. Having a double-zip is a handy touch.

The only point I really want to raise is that it's slightly over-sized for my 15.6" laptop. I appreciate that the physical size of laptops, as opposed to screen size, can vary a lot, but I don't think mine is larger/wider than average.

I was hoping this sleeve would fit snuggly, so I could then still use it with my laptop bag, but I'm unable to use both. So if you are in a similar position I would recommend testing it for fit firstly (if possible?).

Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Developer's Handbook (Developer Reference)
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Developer's Handbook (Developer Reference)
by Klaus Löffelmann

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good (almost), 14 Nov. 2011
It's a good book with important information within it. In particular, the main OOP example is v.good, as it pursues this one example to a little bit of depth. Most other books that discuss OOP start with Person/Customer but then switch to Car and/or Animal/Dog - which is quite annoying!

It's not perfect though:

There are too many sidebars/boxes that interrupt the flow of the text. A number of these "side-notes" are significant enough that they could just be incorporated into the main text;
The flow of the text is also interrupted by personal history, or anecdotes. Although these might be interesting, and offer some insight, I would prefer that they are moved towards the beginning or end of the section;
The coverage is by no means complete, and the author emphasizes certain topics. He frequently mentions LINQ and cross-references to this section. I realise that this is an important, and interesting, subject but the frequent cross-referencing to it is a little overboard.
The number of tables and definitions is limited, so important details are contained within the main text. This reduces it's usefulness as a reference book.

In summary, it's a good book and has some interesting examples. But it's more a book to study than a reference.

Computer Gear Case Gear Pro Case Executive Professional Large Notebook or Laptop Bag or Carry Case for Laptop up to 15.6 inch Widescreen Koskin

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, 14 Nov. 2011
Most laptop cases leave little room for anything other than the laptop and power cable. This item has lots of room, and many useful compartments. The compartment for the laptop is neat and secure, and the case is comfortable to carry. It looks good as well. I recommend it.

However, soon after ordering I noticed it on offer elsewhere at a much better price. I was also caught out as I bought it for ~£27 but it recently dropped to £22, Doh! Neverless, even at £27 it is still a good purchase.

Note: When received, paperwork indicated it was for upto 15.4" laptops. This is not the case as it comfortable fits my 15.6" laptop, and would fit a slightly larger model as well.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Love turned sour, 27 Oct. 2011
Initially this was my favourite mouse for a long time. Quick, responsive, comfortable, etc.. But it suddenly up and died on me, and replacing the battery doesn't even activate the "power-light" (blue) indicator. It was in normal use (I was doing a little surfing) and the cursor just froze suddenly.

The most annoying thing is that this happened just after the sellers' 28-day grace period, so I'm now faced with the considerable task of trying to find a contact at Microsoft who might even acknowledge my complaint. (Any idea where I can direct this complaint??)

Dying from day one, or even day 28!, would have been much preferable, ugh..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2012 2:22 PM GMT

Professional Visual Basic 2010 and .NET 4 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
Professional Visual Basic 2010 and .NET 4 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
by Bill Sheldon

4.0 out of 5 stars V good, but not suitable as a first book, 23 Oct. 2011
I do like this book very much, but it shouldn't be your first book on this subject. Some chapters are particularly hard to read without former, and detailed, background knowledge of the subject.

The first three chapters are particularly well written. But for some of the other subjects you may need to read an alternative reference firstly, such as Wrox's "Visual Basic 2010 Programmer's Reference".

Visual Basic 2010 Programmer's Reference (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
Visual Basic 2010 Programmer's Reference (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
by Rod Stephens

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 23 Oct. 2011
I recommend this book, it covers a lot and explains most things very well. I'm not sure that it would suit an absolute beginner, it's perhaps more suitable as a second book.

The reference sections at the end are particularly useful.

However, there are still some omissions, and subjects that could have been covered in more detail - this is perhaps to be expected with such a large subject.

2m Crossover Ethernet / Patch Cable
2m Crossover Ethernet / Patch Cable
Offered by CDL Micro

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 23 Oct. 2011
What does one say about such a product? It works, but it doesn't get me excited :) No other words occur.

Fellowes Crystals Gel Flex Rest - Blue
Fellowes Crystals Gel Flex Rest - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably ok - not for me, 10 Sept. 2011
I was suffering a slight twinge and I understood these rests were supposed to be good for you - "ergonomic".

But, having bought the product, I read a little further and found advice that we shouldn't use them at all, particularly the gel versions. They keep your arm in a fixed position and you end up moving your wrist, rather than your arm as we are supposed to. I had tried it for a couple of days and I don't believe it was helping me.

I am arriving at the conclusion that they might be good for people who already struggle with the mouse, but they should probably seek medical advice in the first instance.

Q-Connect KF32155 Computer Cleaning Kit 17550024
Q-Connect KF32155 Computer Cleaning Kit 17550024
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too exciting, 10 Sept. 2011
There's not too much in this pack - an air-spray, cleaning-fluid and a number of wipes - but this is still reasonable for the price. The cleaning fluid is an 125ml bottle, which is a good size.
The writing is tiny and there aren't really any instructions. Of course, instructions aren't necessary, but I wanted to know if the larger wipes were washable. (I don't think they are - they are paper, rather than cloth, based.)

The air-spray become a liquid quite quickly, but I think this is a common issue with air-sprays. Use quick bursts and wipe with a dry cloth afterwards.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5