Profile for David Muir > Reviews

Content by David Muir

David Muir "David" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Dust of Death: A Critique of the Establishment and the  Counter and the Proposal for a Third Day
Dust of Death: A Critique of the Establishment and the Counter and the Proposal for a Third Day
by O. Guiness

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly seminal work on the Sixties and what would follow from it, 26 April 2014
I could not write enough about this book for unlike many other writers Os has penetrated the very heart of the Sixties Hippie culture and what would flow from it and his analysis even today has that "ring of truth" that J B Philips talked about and as a missionary called to serve God in Glastonbury,home of NEW AGE belief systems the behaviour,,belief systems are eerily similar and the corresponding faal out in shattered lives bear their own testimony as to what happens when you try to live as if God did not exist.I cannot recommend this book too much.Ten stars out of five.

Come By The Hills
Come By The Hills

5.0 out of 5 stars Loch Ossian and Sabine, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Come By The Hills (MP3 Download)
I am in the heart of England by the gracious command of God the Father and because of that I will not be anywhere else except by His command.But I am joyful and happy to confess my heart is not here.Memory holds the key to this song in my heart because for me the time and times I spent together with Tom Rigg,and my Sabine at Corrour, Loch Ossian,Scotland, were some of the highlights of my life and my lifeblood thrills to that memory still,though the years have rolled on, still the heart is Highland and I dreaming and waking would not trade one day there for twa thousan here.When I sing this song as I sing all songs I review my heart is there and in my mind's eye I see the glory of Sabine,the glories of Scotland and the marble seat I made for her that will last as long as a loyal heart beats in this sad,twisted, broken world of ours.These memories, these joys,almost sing the song for me.Nowhere in the world is more precious to me and this music drives the feet of memory down that cherished mile.

Wha Wadna Fecht For Charlie
Wha Wadna Fecht For Charlie

5.0 out of 5 stars FECHT FOR CHARLIE AN NAE TO BE RULED BY A GERMAN 57th IN LINE TO THE THRONE OF SCOTLAND-WHERE'S MY SWORD, 23 Feb. 2014
The Corries were amazing,fine martial and other music for Scots,proud of their achievements,proud of their country,who would be glad signatories of the Declaration of Arbroath,who would stand and fight with Wallace and The Bruce,stalwart in battle,loyal in love,battle,war and defeat and victory, not selling their heritage for wealth and power and privilege as some did in the national disgrace of the 1603 and 1707 unions.Daring to fight again and again for Scotland, for the right,for Elizabeth,the Second Queen of England,Deo Gratia,by the grace of God or/and her successors to bow the knee to the new Scottish Parliament and acknowledge, own, and use her/their true Title before us as Elizabeth 1st, Queen of Scots,(in her case) for as long as one hundred of us remain alive we will never bow the knee to English tyranny or anyone else excepting God the Father alone to whom we owe our lives, our duty and our whole allegiance so help us God.This is my fervent and true response to the music of the Corries.

Selected Poems (Poetry Signatures)
Selected Poems (Poetry Signatures)
by Edwin Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars DELIGHT AND DISMAY, 2 Dec. 2013
Since I had the pleasure of Edwin Morgan's company over a week at the Arvon Foundations slightly remote site for aspiring poets, I have always enjoyed delving into Edwin's capacious store of wit and wisdom contained in his poetry and his evident joy of Scotland and the Scots language.Take a poem for instance here in the Selected poems called "Canedolia"( page 24)a beautiful and hilarious exploration of the vagaries and seeming eccentricities of Scottish place names.In that time together we laughed and sang and being exiles thought of home and Edwin to me seemed a city man at heart while I being a creature of the hills would tend to seek out the quiet lochan with some rising trout in the offing.Whatever our differences in that regard we enjoyed our poetry, mine and his and while mine could have done with a few years contemplation, his poetry was always a delight to meCollected Poems (Poetry pleiade)w[[ASIN:185754188X Collected Poems (Poetry pleiade)whether serious or seriously playful.His poem "Surrealism Revisited" on page 103 is such a joy for the visual cartwheeler.Dismay I mentioned and that was to hear of his death.Thats the problem with getting older, friends fall at your side almost as if we were on the Somme battlefield on the first day of the battle.Delight still that his poetry may still be enjoyed and that I had the pleasure of his company too on other occasions.His "Selected Poetry" is highly recommended.

Two voices
Two voices
by J. K Annand

5.0 out of 5 stars A WEEL KEN'NED CRATUR AN MA FREEN'D, 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Two voices (Paperback)
Syne lang since I had the pleesure o kenn'ing J K Annand I hae heard his voice on mony's an occasion.Toiling up Bidean nam Bein wi a full racksack I kenned the darg o the climb and the subtle joys o the view.Weighed doon by the wirld an a its nonsense I hae aye sought God in the hills like my freend Jesus did and J K 's poetry was aye in the rucksack sharing space wi some tattie scones an a bit o Braxie Ham.His poetry reeks o Scotland an a' the better for that.I'm doon here for the guid Lord's pleesure,in Somerset and though I widna change that fir wirlds yet ma hert's in the highlands and if wi J K'S poetry in mind an haund I'm in the closes and wynds o Edinburgh wi a good friend sharin the joys an sorrows wi him o poetic fancy fir I'm a bit o a makar ma'sel if the truth be known.J K wis a fine poet and I the poorer fir his loss.Fir me he ranks wi ma late freends Rab Garioch,
the great Sorley Maclean, an ma other missed friend Norman Macaig.It's been a while since the loch o the Green Corrie knew a fly frae me an the wee nip of the lochan's surface tae show me that my darg was no in vain.Where'er ye are JK ,lang may yer lum reek.Twice For Joy ( Poems for Children )

Poems to Eimhir (Northern House pamphlet poets)
Poems to Eimhir (Northern House pamphlet poets)
by Sorley Maclean

5.0 out of 5 stars WHEN I SPEAK OF A LOVED FACE, 6 Oct. 2013
This book of poetry shows Sorley Maclean at the height of his powers,a Scottish Gaelic poet to his roots and having and being a long and lasting inspiration to the Gaelic poets that learnt directly from him and those who will come after him.He will be read for always and wherever a gaelic poet's heart beats. These poems are full of the fire of love,kindling desire and longing.There are poems also about the Spanish Civil War and his grief for the people of Spain and how in his heart he is called to the battle against the Fascists as many other Scots were and who went to fight there and some of them died "on the rude soil of Spain".Yet these are not only love poems for they have fire and brilliance and international concerns at their heart.Sorley was a man among men and I am proud to have known and talked together with him.He had international concerns running through many of his greatest poems and though he has sadly died he has left us all a corpus of work of international renown and standard even in translation.Sadly ,speaking as an individual and knowing Sorley I was not blessed with the Gaelic or in learning languages so that is a continuing grief to me that we were not able to discuss his poetry in the Gaelic.Even as I say in translation his poetry is tremendous and can stand proudly with all major poets and poetry wherever they are working in any language and culture.For myself reading Sorley's work was a major event in my life as a poet myself. Read this book if you want to try to understand the Gaeltacht.
Sorley Maclean: Collected Poems

In the Face of Eternity: Eight Gaelic Poets (Poetry)
In the Face of Eternity: Eight Gaelic Poets (Poetry)
by C. Whyte

5.0 out of 5 stars At a loss for words, 26 Sept. 2013
Sadly,though I was raised in a Gaelic area (Argyll) I do not have the Gaelic to my life's sorrow. But I am fortunate in the people I have often been with and know or knew as friends.The late Sorley Maclean, who was a truly tremendous poet and did so much to breathe new life into the Gaeltacht and to the quality of the poets inspired by his example.Norman MacCaig,also sadly passed on,his quick wit and smile will stay in my heart for aye. And etc.. However this anecdotal stuff does not say much for the Gaelic poetry.What I thrilled too unfortunately (because I would rather have the Gaelic) was the poems in translation to English and they moved me, excited me,stirred me in depths that sometimes I feared to go for at the time of original reading I was going through some things.Meg Bateman's poems are a joy for instance and Catriona Montgomery's
poetry is full of fire and brilliance.This is a book that must be read,must be savoured,must be imbibed.I love it. Lang maY yer lum reek,for poets of the Gaelic language, this book adds joy and has no sorrow with it.

Tales of the Celtic Bards (Myth & Music)
Tales of the Celtic Bards (Myth & Music)
by Claire Hamilton

3.0 out of 5 stars NO ROUGH HEWN DIAMOND, 26 Sept. 2013
There is a polished feel to the content of this book that just does not seem right.When I was a laddie in Argyll Scotland It was common place to sit around the fire together at night after the day's tasks were ended and the cows were safely bedded down,we would tell stories,and they were masterclasses in embroidery for the experienced storyteller never told the same tale twice.She or he could tell you the same story a thousand times yet it would never be the same;nuances of tone and volume,perhaps a new way to enliven the story,perhaps adding an event or two as well.

Story is a living breathing thing,it is life if you like as opposed to literature.Literature in a certain sense is dead to us,nothing can be added to it or taken away from it whereas life for instance and the life hereafter is so different with Him in your heart and life after death is what Jesus promises but blessed with renewed energy and purpose.In regard to this book and the stories within it rather got the feel of a dead thing in my hands, almost like the part of "The rime of the ancient Mariner" where the Albatross is killed.A deadly torpor there.
The same effect was rendered in me by this book, an unusual occurrence in me if I may say so.

The harp playing is"nice" and that's probably the worst thing I could say about it.In my view this book and the harp music CD with it promises more than it delivers.

Highland Clearances Trail: A Guide
Highland Clearances Trail: A Guide
by Rob Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BLEATING OF SHEEP RATHER THAN CHILDREN'S LAUGHTER, 13 Sept. 2013
Rob Gibson MSP is an excellent writer and has gone on since this valuable little publication to explore the Highland Scots affect on America and some of their stories.Rob has done well here to outline the specific places and geographic areas devastated by the clearances, the worst of which were carried out by the Duke of Sutherland whose effigy defaces the top of Ben Bhraggie.I had the signal honour to accompany Rob,his lady and a few other stalwarts to the top of Ben Bhraggie where we discussed its destruction as a token of our defiance of the Duke's activities and the totally romantic in the worst way esteem in which the statue of him is held.He speaking of the effigy is known locally as "the wee mannie" for they are possibly ignorant of the cruelty and suffering and damage that Duke has done creating a desert from a haven and betrayal of clansmen who by their bond of manrent paid in blood to be where they were..The emptying of Strathnaver in Sutherland,Scotland must rank as the wickedest and deplorable acts of intemperate violence and cruelty the Highlands have ever experienced.Rob marks this devastation with a keen eye having visited the places themselves and though devoid of the remains of houses in a specific area is nevertheless able to show there was people living there with a viable way of life.For instance the runrig system of agriculture still shows in the land,the condition of pasture areas and remains of shielings and areas where nettles grow in abundance are all valid signs of evidence of habitation.
One idea about Ben Bhraggie was to cut the lightning rod so that God could help along the process and of course it would be extremely difficult to arrest Him though of course to an extent it wasn't two thousand years ago but after all that was written into what He was going to do for all of us.For a fuller treatment of the time of the Clearances and what went on then Eric Richards book "the highland clearances must stand on its own among the literature relating to the period.However a contemporary account may be more initially revealing.Stories of the Highland Clearances

Hero Wanted [DVD] [2008]
Hero Wanted [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Cuba Gooding Jr.
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Between Earth and Heaven or Stuck In The Muddle With You., 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Hero Wanted [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
THis movie I found riveting and unusual not because of the action in it but rather because a man,s conscience is played out on screen and we are all in that bind,caught between Heaven, the best of all possible worlds and this one ,fallen and marred by sin and evil and we see this played out on screen in a subtle and I felt true rendering by Cuba Gooding. For that same reason I recommend watching Paul Scofield in "A Man for all Seasons" in which he gives a sound and sensitive portrayal of Sir Thomas More,faced with Henry the Eight's philandering ways and caught in the middle of Henry's decisions and his attempts to get the Pope to his way of thinking or in other words to nullify God's law regarding marriage or at least his marriage which stood in the way both of his lust and his desire to beget a make heir.A very excellent film by all accounts and a classic of cinema conveying what is a brilliantly measured performance by Paul Scofield..A Man For All Seasons (Collector's Edition) [1966] [DVD] [2007]

Page: 1 | 2