Profile for Charlotte Nutt > Reviews

Content by Charlotte Nutt

Charlotte Nutt (Brighton UK)

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf

1.0 out of 5 stars Quantities completely off, leading to very disappointing results, 13 May 2012
I agree with other reviewers, at first glance this book ticks all the right boxes, but several recipes later and I'm really disappointed. I've tried the bottomless chocolate cupcakes, marshmallow, vanilla, lemon and hazelnut cupcakes and not one of these recipes made 12 cupcakes. I took the advice of the book each time and used muffin cases instead of cupcake cases and ended up with the most piddly looking cakes at the bottom of the cases. I think the ingredients in most cases equate to between 6-9 cupcakes depending on the recipe. Personally I felt like they were trying to highlight just how amazing their I store cakes are by making it seem difficult to make good ones at home. This is possibly my over active imagination, but really I think it is unacceptable to get so many recipes so badly wrong. And reading other reviews I'm very relieved I didn't try the red velvet cupcakes because they sound even worse! I shall be very cautious about making any other recipes from this book. Out of the recipes I tried the best by far was the bottomless cupcakes and I'd say that the recipe makes about 9 cakes.

The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accessories
The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accessories
by David Lebovitz

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ice cream book, 9 May 2009
I stumbled across the author when I was looking for help on the web on how to make caramel. Then I spotted his salted butter caramel ice cream recipe, which is frankly the best ice cream I've ever tasted (not in this book incidentally, but don't let that stop you buying it). So I asked for his book for my birthday and I have not been disappointed. The Gianduja Gelato (choc praline) is amazing, and there are a host of accompaniments, sauces and vessels to go with the ice cream. There is a section at the start about the basics which is useful if you're new to ice cream making. And he writes personal little notes about each recipe that I find really interesting. Lots of fab pictures too. If in doubt, google "salted butter caramel ice cream", make that and then you'll know why you need to buy this book.