Profile for M. Mortali > Reviews

Groov-e GV590VW Kids DJ Style Headphone - Violet/White
Groov-e GV590VW Kids DJ Style Headphone - Violet/White
Offered by DiscountDiscs

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very sturdy, 24 Aug 2012
Real shame this product- looks great, but not strong enough at all for a product aimed at children. I bought two - the jack was pulled off the cable by my 4 year old, with minimal effort. The actual material around one of the ear pieces of the other pair has come away, so I've been stuffed with both pairs. And this was the first time my kids used them whilst on holiday. Poor quality product.

Draper 89094 Carbon Steel Lawn Edger Ash HandleDraper 89094 Carbon Steel Lawn Edger Ash Handle

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap product, crap customer service, 24 Aug 2012
Bought this thinking Draper tools was a reputable company with decent products. How wrong was I - just after a month after purchasing, the head snapped off whilst using it (for the second time), and this being after Amazon's 30 day return policy, I tried contacting Draper asking whether they would replace it as surely it should last longer than 2 uses, and no one ever got back to me. So I would recommend you don't buy this product, as it is rubbish, and Draper's customer service is rubbish too.

Escape the Diet Trap
Escape the Diet Trap

5.0 out of 5 stars The eating and exercise principles of this book changed my life!, 13 Jan 2012
I purchased Dr Briffa's previous book, Waist Disposal, in January 2011. I was approaching 40, had developed an impressive middle aged spread (which somehow I managed to disguise by virtue of the fact I didn't put much weight on my face!) and had tried several times over the previous years to lose a stone (I weighed about 16st, 1 stone was not exactly ambitious). I tried the Low GI diet, I tried Atkins, I even tried the cabbage soup diet! I ramped up my exercising, and all that happened was I'd lose a few pounds in the first few weeks, then eventually put it back on, with the added bonus of some additional pounds. So I entered 2011 determined to give it one more go for the sake of my health.

Waist Disposal interested me because it seemed aimed at blokes like me. All the principles laid out in Waist Disposal are captured in Dr Briffa's new book, Escape The Diet Trap, with the latter providing more detail, more up to date evidence, and some new ideas. It's like Waist Disposal on steroids.

All I can say about Dr Briffa's principles is they work. They really really work. I write this review 12 months on from following them, and I have lost 3 stone. I look and feel fantastic. Not only have I lost weight, but I sleep better and genuinely feel healthier. I used to take headache pills once or twice a week before - now once every couple of months. The upshot of all this is that I am happier. You can't underestimate how your feelings of self esteem and happiness improve as you see yourself lose weight and become healthier, simply because you changed your eating habits. I don't consider Dr Briffa's principles a diet, that word suggests it is a temporary state, a fad - for me it's been about a lifestyle change in what and how I eat. And unlike previous attempts to shift weight, a year on I've still kept it off.

And it's not just me - my wife followed these principles, and over the last year she had lost 2 stone! What makes that particularly impressive is that she was 9st 5 to start with, so not exactly heavy, she's petite, and yet she now weighs 7 st 5. And our success has inspired many of my friends to follow Dr Briffa's principles, and they too have seen great results.

So hopefully I have provided some evidence based on my own personal experience that Dr Briffa's principles work. What about Escape the Diet Trap as a book? As I mentioned earlier, it's like Waist Disposal on steroids. It's wonderfully written and structured so that you can read it end to end, or you can pick and choose the section you're interested in. There are good summaries and recaps in each chapter and a final synposis, so it's easy to revisit bits. But most importantly, all the principles and ideas in the book are underpinned by scientific evidence, all of which can be referenced. What is genuinely shocking about the conventional advice on nutrition given to us by the Health Authorities is the really flaky basis on which it is based - our current consumption of simple carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugary products, is storing up a load of problems for us in later life. When you think about the fundamental premise of this book, that from an evolutionary perspective we are unchanged in millions of years, then our bodies are designed around the diet of hunter gatherers, a primal diet if you like, it then makes complete sense that a diet based on food which entered our diets only 10,000 years ago, such as grains and sugar, cannot be good for our bodies if we consume carbs to the extent we are told we should.

Waist Disposal really got me interested in the whole area of nutrition, and particuarly the carbohydrate fallacy, so I read lots of other books. Having read Escape The Diet Trap, Dr Briffa has actually added some new content, capturing many of the ideas I'd also seen elsewhere (e.g. how to deal with plateaus, how intermittent fasting can help with fat loss). So in Escape The Diet Trap, Dr Briffa has created to my mind an excellent single source on this whole area. If you buy only one book on "diet", then buy this one. Dr Briffa's ideas changed my and my wife's lives.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 1:11 PM BST

The Low-Carb Gourmet
The Low-Carb Gourmet
by Karen Barnaby

5.0 out of 5 stars What low carb chefs need!, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Low-Carb Gourmet (Paperback)
I've been on a low carb diet for the last 8 months and have managed to lose 2.5 stone. My diet has basically consisted of fruit, nuts, meat, fish, veg and dark chocolate. Having come back from my summer hols, I wanted to see what else I could do with my food beyond how I'd been eating. I love cooking and have tons of traditional cook books so I decided to see what low carb cookbooks were available. What I wanted was something written by a chef rather than a doctor or low carb specialist. And "The Low Carb Gourmet" is such a book, and it absolutely hits the spot. Some of the recipes are just good recipes, which aren't particularly inventive (because they don't need to be, e.g pancetta wrapped salmon). But it's how the writer tackles getting around things like breakfasts and desserts which makes the book for me. For example, there are a couple of cracking recipes for pancakes and muffins in there. What you can do with cauliflower is just amazing! Yes, you can replace rice with cauliflower. And there are cakes too. Splenda is used instead of sugar which works well. Ground almonds and baking power replace flour which again works really well. I haven't felt this inspired in a long time and I've lost three pounds in the process!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 10:43 AM GMT

Waist Disposal: The Ultimate Fat Loss Manual for Men
Waist Disposal: The Ultimate Fat Loss Manual for Men
by John Briffa

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life!, 2 Mar 2011
I'm 37 years old, and have always been overweight (not obese thankfully), and have paid little attention to diets or exercise in the main. Over Christmas, my father a man of few words normally, expressed a concern that I was now too fat and at risk of developing complications as a result in later life like he did (he now has type 2 Diabetes). For him to say something really made me sit up and listen. So I decided in January to start a traditional diet and health plan.

Unsurprisingly, after 3 days I was feeling really hungry and generally miserable, when by complete chance and our friends at Google, I stumbled upon this book. The fact it was written with men and their "beer guts" in mind really appealed, so I ordered Waist Disposal immediately, and literally read it within a couple of hours. It's no exageration to say it has changed my life. Two months on, my weight has dropped from 15 stone 11 to 14 stone 2. I look and feel so much better, and as someone who loves food, I have still been able to really enjoy my food during this time.

So what's so great about it? Firstly, it's based on science and common sense. The author backs up everything he says with references to scientific study. And when you think about the fundamental premise that our bodies are still prehistoric in their design and function, that they were designed before the advent of grain and dairy products, then adopting a lifestyle based on natural ingredients and low carbs makes complete sense.

Secondly, you are not hungry. I cannot stress this enough - the author makes the critical point that most diets fail because we are hungry the entire time. Having tracked what I've eaten and the calories consumed over the last couple of months, I typically consume around 1500 calories a day, which when combined with the moderate amount of exercise recommended, you will see your weight drop. I should add that my wife has followed this too, and has also lost weight and feels great too.

Thirdly, it's not as draconian as Aktins. I tried this once a few years ago, and lasted 1 week. Waist Disposal allows you to eat a greater variety of food.

The most difficult thing to get your head round with this book is that it goes against everything we have been conditioned to believe over the last 20 years about fat, carbs and diet in general. It seems odd at first being advised to eat high fat, high calorie nuts in the afternoon. But when you come to eat your dinner a few hours later, and you realise you're not starving, and therefore don't eat as much it makes sense.

So if like me, you've spent your 30s getting increasingly fatter, but didn't have the will power to be hungry so that you could lose weight, buy this book and follow the advice. You won't regret it.

Live Fast, Die Young: Misadventures in Rock & Roll America
Live Fast, Die Young: Misadventures in Rock & Roll America
by Chris Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!!!!, 20 July 2010
A wonderfully written, laugh out loud adventure in music, popular culture, obsession, the US and above all, friendship. I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. The interplay between Chris and Joe was warm, funny, at times tense and very real. The places they visited really came to life, and you could really feel the love and passion these two have for music and more importantly the impact music has had on their respective lives. I loved how their relationship developed over their three weeks on road, particularly the infamous pool matches! Read it and you'll know what I mean!!!! Can't wait to read more of these guys' work! So when's the next book coming out then??